• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mda.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sorry but…help with indexing please!
  • lister

Just spent a fruitless hour fiddling with my bike but am completely stumped.
    I'm working with deore shifters and LX 9 speed mech. Shifting was a getting slow and random so I lubed the outers, reset the barrel adjusters to the middle of their movement then fitted a new cable.
    Now I cannot get all 9 gears, the mech refuses to shift to the smallest sprocket, if I then turn the adjuster on the mech it will move down but that then stops me getting into the largest sprocket.
    I've started from scratch again and it still won't work! Never had this problem before.
    Any tips?

Moses

Go to YouTube and search for derailleur gears. There are loads of vids on how to do it.

ojom
    Free Member

Have you adjusted the limit screws?

Hip
    Free Member

Cable is too tight?

The problem I had with mine was it would jump 2 sprockets at the top going up and 2 at the bottom going down but only at the end of the travel, not the start. If that makes sense?

lister

limit screws are set correctly…previously the shifting included all 9 sprockets but wasn't very slick, due to cable wear (or so i thought)…so fitting a new cable should have cured the problem witout any further adjustments.

seems I was wrong…

lister

cable goes ever so slightly slack when shifter is in 9, but chain won't move down to that sprocket…but the mech has the potential to move that far if you know what i mean?

footstomper
    Free Member

As tbc says sounds a bit like limit screw adjustment is required, just try 1/4 turn each time. Try going to the Park Tool Site they have a great repair help section, I used this to completely build my bike.

stumpy01

If there is slack in the cable when you should be in your smallest sprocket, but the rear mech isn't moving that far, then I would say either:

-limit screw not right
    – bent hanger/mech/frame
    – stiff mech parallelogram not allowing spring to pull it all the way to smallest cog??

mda

Loose mech / hanger bolt?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sorry but…help with indexing please!’ is closed to new replies.