Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sorry but what commuting tyres?
  • scruff9252

I have been running schwalbe city speed cruiser(?) on my commuting hack for a some time. They have done me well with very few punctures but I picked up two today.

Turns out that the end of one strand of the wire bead has poked out of the tyre carcass leaving a spike on the inside of the tyre so I guess it is time for the bin.

Question is what is the current favourite for loaded commuting? Running a heavily laden pompetamine at the mo (two laptops,lunch, change of clothes etc) and have been running on 700x35c.

Commute is 20km on either tarmac or gravel canal path and puncture resistance is a high priority.

Whats the hive’s recommendations?

jonba
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathon for durability and puncture protection but they aren’t half heavy.

Some cheap stuff on planet X too, they just started doing more under their own brand

Failing that Conti Gator skins.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Whatever you can get for as cheap as possible. It’s not going to make a jot of difference.

mrchrispy

I think I’m running the schwalbe marathon plus (with a reflective stripe). Roll pretty well and seem pretty bomb proof, a must really as my harsh weather commuter has a hub and I can’t be doing with taking the wheel off.

danti

+1 Schwalbe Marathon Plus for all year round commuting.

Don’t buy cheapest – buy cheap buy twice!

bruneep

++1

Olly
    Free Member

Ive got some Conti tour plus 35s, which are reported to be ABSOLUTELY puncture proof. They are ideal on gravely towpath kind of trails, but they are also 800g EACH!! Due to this, i have just ordered some 25c conti gator skins to compliment them on the road. :s

walla24
    Free Member

gatorskins! sooo good

steezysix
    Free Member

Conti Sport Contacts are unbelievably fast for such a comfy tyre. I’ve had them on two bikes, the current ones have easily done over 1500 miles and no punctures. Jinxed myself now though…

mudmonster
    Free Member

Got Continental supersport plus 700×23. They were £16 from planet x. Really like them but they’ve probably gone back up to full price now. Will get a Durano plus next.

scruff9252

Good call on the planet X, got some Vittoria Randonneur which seem to come with a good rep for a steal. Happy days

Superficial
    Free Member

Cheap tyres, or lightweight tyres are just not worth bothering with.

I’ve always used Conti Gatorskins and I think they’re great, but I’m sure the Schwalbe ones are good too. The contis aren’t perfect; they’re a bit heavy, they feel dead and they’re not the grippiest. But unlike any other tyre I’ve used, they do seem to be fit-and-forget. Which is what you want in a commuting tyre.

robland
    Free Member

Continental sport contact fantastic all round tyre.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus and they appear bullet proof.

They are totally different to road tyres like gatorskins, Durano etc. The trade off is simple, a tyre like the marathon plus or the Vittoria Randonneur is a tougher tyre, but much much slower feeling than the gatorskins.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I like Big Apples myself, run ’em at around 30 psi

kcr
    Free Member

Marathons are not bullet proof. They’re bomb proof.
    They are the best fit and forget workhorse commuting tyre that I have used. Various flavours available, but I would recommend the version with the maximum puncture protection.

nickname
    Free Member

Had Durano/Durano plus in the past. Not a great experience really, way too many punctures for my liking.

Now switched to Schwalbe Marathon Original GreenGuard (700x23c). Feel a bit slower, but not enough to make a different to my commute time. No punctures yet, chuffed with them 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Spa do Marathons for £16 each…

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Another vote for the Marathons I’ve only had them on for a week but i have been really impressed but them

edhornby

Running a heavily laden pompetamine

marathon plus

gatorskins are ok but not for the front because they are a hard compound so can feel a bit sketchy in the wet

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Obligatory Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard or Marathon Plus vote. I’ve had 1 puncture in about 18 months since I got mine, and that was a massive piece of glass. Happy with that.

stoffel
    Free Member

Whatever you can get for as cheap as possible. It’s not going to make a jot of difference.

Utter nonsense. I’ve ‘tested’ countless tyres commuting, and the reinforced types such as the Marathon Plus, Specialized Armadillo, and Continental Gatorskin are significantly better in terms of puncture resistance than cheap tyes. I’ve recently replaced a Specialized Armadillo tyre which had chunks of the actual outer rubber fall off, yet they tyre stayed inflated. Yes, they’re havier, slower and more expensive, but the trade off is worth it in my opinion; being stuck fixing a puncture at 10.30 in the evening, in January, in the rain, is somthng I like to avoid. The above tyre did a good few thousand miles with just one puncture that I can recall, and that was a nasty long tack; thorns, bits of glass etc weren’t ever a problem.

faustus

Another shout for Vittoria Randoneurs (I used the ‘cross’ version with wire bead) that are on Planet X. I used them all winter for commuting with zero puntures, they’re tough and not too heavy, and I paid £8.99 each, which is a bargain. They last very well too, i’ll be putting them on next winter and probably the one after.

I rate them for value and performance..

thomthumb
    Free Member

depends on the route. on my old – slightly more rural – slightly posher areas commute anything would do.

on my new commute slightly more urban, rougher areas & lots of students = glass & crap in the road.

I’ve been gradually getting more and more puncture protection until i put marathon plus on – horrible ride – but no more punctures.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I honestly can’t rate my 28 Durano Plus’ high enough, not one puncture in 3 years (touch wood) and I ride some horrific crap on them (in contrast the paper thin stock tyres were bursting on ~3mm gravel). Heavy, yes, but they roll fast so I still get to cruise along quite happily.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sorry but what commuting tyres?’ is closed to new replies.