Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sorry……. best e-reader…?!
  • jeb

….. for those dark nights to come……..

…nothing like super fancy, just for reading some crime novels…..

Thanks

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

everybody is going to say kindle paperwhite.

you can also use a tablet but the battery life isn’t anywhere near as good.

But with a good antiglare (matt) cover the reading experience is pretty much like a color kindle paperwhite, but bigger and more flexible.

For example I have several kindle photography books – I can click on the color photographs to expand and view them on the kindle reader on the tablet, whereas an normal ereader would be useless for that type of book.

edhornby

I had a koboglo – it got nicked and I really miss it

the glo HD is the replacement I am going to get – it has a memory card slot so you can be more creative with finding books and works on epub formats; better than kindles which are locked to amazon format and amazon store

oh and project gutenberg – read all the classics for nowt

ScottChegg
    Free Member

For indoor use a Kindle HD is a great bit of kit. Astonishing battery life for such a device.

If you may take it on holiday, then a Kindle paperwhite are the best. You can read them in full sun without bother.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I like my Nook Simple Touch Glowlight. Ebay is probably the best place to pick one up.

You just reminded me to charge it too (it’s been that long). Cheers.

xora

better than kindles which are locked to amazon format and amazon store

Don’t worry nothing about this statement is true. Get a copy of Calibre and it will automatically convert any of the hundreds of ebook formats to .mobi for kindle and load it on the Kindle for you.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Kindle Paperwhite.

mogrim

If you’re planning on buying books Amazon/Kindle is great – you can share the same book across all your devices, phone, PC, ebook, tablet…

Can’t really recommend any particular ebook, though – I’m happy with my older Kindle (although it has now got a line of dead pixels towards the top of the screen), and the wife likes her slightly newer model. But other brands are available and I haven’t tried them.

mogrim

Don’t worry nothing about this statement is true

It’s true enough if you buy from Amazon, though.

woody74

I’ve got a new Kindle Paperwhite that I got bout 2 months ago. To be honest the cheap basic Kindle is probably better and has a nicer screen colour but I wanted the light.

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kindle paperwhite, Mrs Hugo has a Nook glowlight.

Kindle everytime, even though it was more than twice the price. Amazon as the retailer shop, the ability to email in books directly, and the build quality/design are just better. Mrs Hugo agrees and we’re getting another Kindle.

Yes, they’re more, but ~£100 for something that can’t really be improved, (colour e-ink anyone) means it will last you a long time. Mine has been totally abused and is still going strong.

lunge

I have a Nook Simple, bought as it was just that, simple. It is easy to read, has a very long battery life and works fine in the sun. No back light though, this may be a problem for some.

steveoath
    Free Member

thetallpaul – Member
    I like my Nook Simple Touch Glowlight. Ebay is probably the best place to pick one up.

You just reminded me to charge it too (it’s been that long). Cheers
    This – barnes and noble stopped making them and began selling them off cheap, but its a great reader. I picked mine up in argos for £50.

Regardless of which one you choose, get CALIBRE which will allow you to load up books bought or “bought” from any site. Saves you being tied to one eco system.

MrBlond
    Free Member

I have an old skool kindle which has been demoted to beach holiday duties and currently using a Fire HD. Irritatingly clunky as a tablet but works fine as an e-reader and lasts about 2 weeks (wifi usually off, rarely used except on the train)

…all of which makes this look bloody cheap to me:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y3TM6CO

£20 less than a basic kindle (‘without special offers’)

flashpaul
    Free Member

kindle paperwhite and calibre[if you alreay have books in another format]

Had several kobo’s and generally they are buggy and unreliable

kindle is flawless imo

simon_g

Amazon have regularly been offering “certified refurbished” (which just appear to be new) previous generation Kindle Paperwhites for £69 which are great for the money.

As said, very easy to put other books on there, but I have more than enough Kindle titles left to read. The sync between devices makes it really easy to get a chapter or two in on my phone if I’m waiting around for something.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I get to try them all through work. Not much difference in functionality on any of them. Never got into reading off any device yet, and it’s very possible they’ll become a niche over the next few years.

convert

If you are reading this forum chances are you are a relatively active person who likes doing stuff and doesn’t do a lot of sitting. Can I recommend you look at the amazon whispersync for voice concept – it has revolutionised my consumption of literature. I like reading but tend not to do as much of it as I would like – books take an age to get through. I also like listening to audiobooks when doing stuff (driving, mowing the lawn,tinkering with bikes etc). Now I can do both at the same time for the same book. Listen for a bit on my phone with headphones then turn off and pick up the ebook and it is at the right place ready to start reading. Put the book down and start listening and again it starts from where you stopped reading.

For that reason alone it would be a kindle for me. I have a paperwhite- if I was feeling flush I’d have gone for the top model because the page turning feels more intuitive than the paperwhite.

jeb

Kindle it is then!

wicki
    Free Member

I loved the firt kindle with the side buttons the touch screen version is more of a pain but still very good.

aracer
    Free Member

I have a Kindle. I’d like to be able to read e-books from the library on it, which seem to come in EPUB format with DRM. I’ve installed Calibre, but stuck at the point it complains it can’t convert because of DRM. Has anybody got this working and can give me a quick guide on how to get those books on my Kindle (yes I could and have googled, but I’m finding lots of instructions on how to do other things and thought somebody might have already been through this)

aracer
    Free Member

…in case it’s useful for anybody else, I’ve now succeeded in getting a library EPUB book onto my Kindle.

I followed the instructions at http://www.techradar.com/news/software/how-to-remove-ebook-drm-with-calibre-1291960 as far as removing the DRM which happens automatically when you add a book to Calibre once you’ve installed the plugin as explained there (I’d already installed Adobe Digital Editions to download the book to my computer from the library). I ignored the stuff about the extra step for Kindle as that seems to be just needed for importing books from a Kindle. I then converted to MOBI format, which was the default as I’d selected a Kindle as my device, just using all the default options. Finally I e-mailed the converted book to my Kindle account which is explained at http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-manage-your-ebook-collection-for-the-amazon-kindle-with-calibre/ I used my gmail account with smtp.gmail.com port 465, SSL (not TLS as shown in that article), but gmail complains about an insecure device which I had to allow at https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps I’ve now reset that back to off so will have to turn it on again when I next want to e-mail a book, not sure whether to leave it on all the time or use a different e-mail account – though I suspect it won’t be too much trouble just to turn that on every time I want to download an e-book to the Kindle. Oh and meanwhile the e-book has appeared on my Kindle.

So thanks for the Calibre suggestion – I had tried that briefly before but got stuck at the DRM stage, it was only the assurances on here about how well it works which lead to me trying again. Woo, lots of library books without having to visit the library 🙂

I’m guessing that as I’ve removed the DRM, the e-book won’t need returning (or that I can already return the e-book in my library account so somebody else can read it) which seems a bit naughty. But hey ho, I’d happily work with a lending system without cheating if they provided books in a format suitable for use on the most popular e-reader (I guess that’s probably mostly the fault of Amazon rather than the library and I’m cheating Amazon more than the library which leaves me with a total lack of guilt).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I bought my wife a Kindle Paperwhite having read about and used briefly a Sony eReader, a Nook and the Kindle.

For us, the light was important. I go to bed to sleep. She goes to bed to read for an hour or so first. If she was using an iPad or bedside lamp it would bug the hell out of me but the kindle’s light is much softer.

It’s regularly used on the beach in Asian sunshine with no issues. It doesn’t do the funny disappearing thing that normal screens can do when looked at through polarised sunglasses.

I know £100 is a lot of money, but it’s significantly less than an iPad which never went anywhere near the sand. The Kindle though, while looked after, comes in the beach bag with us most times.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kindle Voyager. Slightly higher res than the normal paperwhite. Can’t say I can tell the difference really but either way, get a kindle and, as makecoldplayhistory says, get a backlit one.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I use a standard Kindle, it suits me as i read a lot on the train and commute to and from on a foldy bike.

If i break it a lot less expense to worry about.

Quality of the text and the options are great.

Kindle cases are very good too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sorry……. best e-reader…?!’ is closed to new replies.