Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sorry- another what tyre thread
  • RichT

I’ve just got a Whyte M109 with 2.2 Maxxis Ikon tyres. Today in the wet, I didn’t have confidence in the front cornering. Rear felt OK.
    Would an Ardent be better? Should I stick on a 2.4?
    Thanks.

edward2000
    Free Member

Geax Goma, a tenner from PLanet X

RichT

I should have said, it is a 29er

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve never tried the Geax, but for ten rubs you can’t really go wrong.

My personal preference would be for a Specialized Storm, but your mileage may vary.

bones
    Free Member

My kona came with exactly the same tyres. Swapped the front with a minion dhf. Will probs leave the back and replace with the spare when worn out. Which wheels did the whyte come with?

RichT

Cheers guys.

The Whyte came with their own brand carbon rims, which seem pretty good.

RichT

Update: BOGOF on Specialized tyres at cycle surgery, so trying a Purgatory 2.3 on front and Ground Control 2.1 at the back.

z1ppy

Damn that a bargain if it £30, paid £40 for mine back when they were doing the tyre trade in, is there an online offer (can’t find one)? Anyways literally just fitted that ^ combo and have been impressed with the front Purgatory, lots of confidence. It replaced an (29er 2.2) Ardent which was frankly rubbish in the mud, though I did have a big/long/slow fall on wet wood with the purgatory, I’d recommend it over the Ardent. I’ll fit Maxxis Beavers (2.25) when it get really wet unless the purgatory/ground control’s manages well.

PS: The ikon is pretty good until the mud gets proper sloppy.

PPS: was originally recommended the Spesch tyres, then after buy them, the same recommender went Geax…

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Butcher or Baron depending on how much slop youre expecting, i dont like the feel of rear mud tyres (storm/beaver) unless im actually pedalling through deep mud so tend to stick with a middle ground tyre for the rear (Purgatory or Trail King).

RichT

Yes, got them in store for £30 for the pair. Pretty pleased.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sorry- another what tyre thread’ is closed to new replies.