Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sorry another tyre thread….2.35 or 2.5 minions?
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

I know this has been asked a million times before (I’ve searched a lot) but I still can’t make my mind up..

I’m currently running a 2.5 maxxpro UST HR front and 2.35 LUST HR on the rear (nukeproof mega) but want to try a minion on the front. The HR is a great front tyre (the ST particularly) but they are hard work for most of the riding I do (the chase).

I was thinking of a 2.35 Maxxpro single ply minion (non UST) tyre up front (run tubeless) for the chase and also a 2.5 UST tyre for the uplift days etc.

But from what I’ve read, the minions are very narrow. Should I just get the 2.5 UST and be done with it or is it too draggy for somewhere like the chase?

The maxxis tubeless options for 26″ now seem to be shite – it must be the redundant wheel size 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I’d get a Specialized Butcher Control 2.3 instead – it’s 50a so halfway between super tacky and max pro, it’s almost as big as the 2.5 Minion but weighs little more than the 2.35, it works really well tubeless and the tread pattern is an improved version of the Minion with wider spacing so it works better in the mud. Only available in 26 and 29 at the moment and arguably one of the very best gnarly but not full on DH tyres out there. It’s my one regret having ordered a 27″ bike!

davewalsh
    Free Member

Another +1 for the 2.3 butcher control. For a 20g weight penalty it is slightly better in every way than a 2.35 minion. The wider spaced tread ppattern clears mud better, the bigger volume copes better with rocks and the softer compound is better on roots. It’s probably the best front tyre I’ve ever used.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

ive got 2.35 minions on my 2 biggest bikes and ive never found them particularly narrow. i love them as an all-round tyre, but….i had those 2.3 butchers on a specialized status in the alps this summer and i completely agree with what the two posters above say, i couldnt believe how confidence-inspiring they were in all conditions including minging wet clay. If the 2.35 minion and the 2.3 butcher were side by side at the same price id buy the butcher.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Ok I’ll look into them ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only ever run 2.5 for uplift/dh days all of my 26″ maxxis tyres run fine as tubeless despite not being LUST.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sorry another tyre thread….2.35 or 2.5 minions?’ is closed to new replies.