Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sorry – Another light question
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

Now that I have my Christmas money I’m looking to improve my lights. I currently have a 700 lumen (claimed) P7 light, which is outshone by all my riding mates. My budget is around £100-£120. I’ve got it down to three at present:
    Magicshine MJ-872 – £90
    Fluxient 4xR5 (Endurance) £90
    INTON TWIN Cree XM-L U2 £110

The Magicshine seems to be well recommended, although possibly some issue with overheating and the chargers. The fluxient I can only find limited info on, but the beam shots look better than the magicshine and abviously the battery life is better. Weightwise both seem to much of a muchness. The the Inton. Looks bloody bright but does seem heavy at nearly 700g with battery. Again can find very little about the light.

Thoughts on the above? Any alternative?

Northwind

Worth mentioning that most MJ-872s ought to come with the uprated charger- the one that comes with cheap Magicshines is a bit temperamental but I’ve not seen any reports of issues with the newer one.

Where are you going to put it? The Inton strikes me as a bar light because of its size, but the beam seems more suited to helmet use. I’d want to see one in person to be sure of that but the head unit’s certainly larger and heavier than the 872 and Fluxient.

The 872 works very well in either but with your P7 as well, I’d suggest you try it as a helmet light, with the P7 as a spare/infill.

The Fluxient looks like very much the same sort of thing as the 872- I wonder if it’s different at all inside? Oh, Torchy’s comparison shots are all with an 872 fitted with the daft opaque lens, which is now superceded with a clear one that doesn’t stifle the output.

I think I’d go for the Fluxient personally… Not that there’s anything wrong with the 872, it’s stunningly good tbh, but the Fluxient comes with a higher capacity battery, which would allow more use of full beam, and the better warranty from Torchy. (don’t be too concerned about run time though- with most current lights the lower power modes are still very powerful)

fastindian
    Free Member

I’ve got an 872, magic bit of kit nice and floody and fine for most stuff on the lowest setting and then lasts for hours. As its a flood light I would suggest its bar mount only.

Use your P7 on your lid or better still spend £30 on a DX T6 XML for your lid, nice tight spot beam, really compliments the 872

Rockape
    Free Member

How about smudge light mtb batteries. Co. uk worth a look on the website at the info. I’ve got one and it’s been fab cannot compair to others mentioned but has to be worth a look. Cheap light and fast helpful service.

onandon
    Free Member

I have an inton on order so will let you know my thoughts when it arrives.
    The magic shine 880 is missing fron the list – take a look.

As a side note-im not sure that the inton is as heavy as you mention. I’ll stick it on scales when I have mine.

BigSteve
    Free Member

The magicshine 880 is esentially the same as the Inton I believe but £20 more expensive. Also it’s not using the U2 XML’s. The weight of the Inton is the on-bike weight quoted on torchy’s ebay listing (actually weight quoted is 669g).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sorry – Another light question’ is closed to new replies.