Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sorry, another DSLR question
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My SO has a pretty good eye for photography (her left one!) but she’s becoming increasingly cheesed off with the limitations of our (3!) compacts, mainly shutter lag. So, seeing as she’s not a very ‘gadgety’ person who doesn’t really understand how cameras work, but knows what they can achieve, what’s a good DSLR for her, & me for that matter, to look at? 2nd hand is a big option. Also I’ve a Canon EOS 350 with a 28-80 ultrasonic lens, is it worth looking for just a Canon body & using this or starting afresh? Any suggestions?

richpips
    Free Member

A Canon 20D or 30D for £200 and £300 respectively second hand. Another £200 for a second hand reasonable lens.

To get the best from any camera, she’ll need to learn how they work though.

I’d suggestt getting a book on the basics of ISO, shutter speed and aperture too.

STATO
    Free Member

A Canon 20D or 30D for £200 and £300 respectively second hand. Another £200 for a second hand reasonable lens.

pft! stuff that, just get a cheap nikon D40 (£250 with lens) or cannon equivalent, no need at all to throw that sort of money at it initially. You could spend more if you also want a big zoom lens but TBH the quality of a good DSLR will allow you to crop an image down and still get a great looking pic.

cp

yep, canon 1000d, or 400d from canon’s ebay outlet along with a kit lens would see you fit to begin with.

To make the dslr take ‘better’ pics than a compact though, you’ll (and she’ll) have to learn the basics of the photo taking process – i.e. technically what’s going on. As mentioned, get a book covering the basics of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and how to make these adjustments on the camera.

vinnyeh

from the sound of your post I can’t work out if you’re planning on sharing- if so, keep using the 350d, nothing wrong with it, and get yourself a decent lens in the focal length range that your girlfriend (you) seem most to use- look back at the sort of stuff you’ve photographed, and what you’d like to picture, to get an idea of the focal lengths you’d use most.

Oh, and consider buying a proper flash instead- using one can make far more diference to your photography (unless you’re planning on doing landscapes exclusively) than any lens.

Stoner
    Free Member

was wrong with the 350? Mrs S and I use ours quite a lot and on the way have picked up a couple of nice lenses ready for the day we maybe do upgrade, but for the time being Im not really finding any limitations with the 350.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yep, buy a new one – that way you know everything is working right (and there are no issues such as scratches or gunk all over the sensor). As to what to get – go and get her to play with them in the shop and see which model is the most intuitive for her. Performance wise they are all much of a muchness at each price point.

Personally I wouldn’t really bother with a flash. Got a reet posh one myself (Canon 580EX mkII) and don’t use it much at all… needed it for a wedding shoot, but managed to use almost exclusivly ambient light which gives much nicer results (and this was in a castle, at night, which was dimly lit). Also stick with the kit lens to start off with, no sense blowing mega money on the outset 😉 I also buy new lenses only these days – had too many hassles with second hand ones that it just annoyed me!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sorry folks, i didn’t express that my old 350 is a film camera!

RustySpanner

Photo forums are full of posts from people who have bought a DSLR and the results are worse than they were getting with their compact.

Honestly, if she’s really not going to learn the basics, don’t bother with a DSLR. All the elements of creativity in the picture taking process come with an understanding of the basics.
    People often take a couple of great pictures, but aren’t sure how to replicate them, so frustration often sets in.

This book is great for beginners to digital:www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Introduction-Tom-Ang/dp/

My partner refuses to read instruction manuals, never mind tutorials or introductory books – she has no patience whatsoever. She much prefers a decent compact.

However, if you fancy a DSLR yourself and fancy a Nikon, try these people:
    http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk

You can buy secondhand stuff with total confidence – they are a bit of a legend amongst Nikon fans.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sorry, another DSLR question’ is closed to new replies.