Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sorry about this….new mobile phone recommendations please
  • paul4stones

FWIW I’m happy with my tyres 😉

I’m dead tight. I’ve an old Samsung S3 mini on Talkmobile which is coming to the end of contract, getting slow, crashing, etc. I pay £11/month for 500mb/250 mins/3000 texts I think. Never get anywhere near the limits for phoning/texting, occasionally go over the data.

Would like something with a decent camera and better battery life.

Think it has to be O2/Vodaphone here.

Over to you lot thanks.

matt_outandabout

Moto G3 on talkmobile here – £10 a month and does it all.

paul4stones

I thought so. Trouble is I’ve always just gone into carphone warehouse and they don’t have talkmobile any more and talkmobile don’t offer that phone.

Del

mate has recently got a samsung a3. looks good for the money ( on gifgaff so i just buy outright, or have recently anyway ). when i get sufficiently pissed off with this POS fragile sony z3 compact that’s probably what i’ll get.

paul4stones

So on giffgaff you buy the phone and monthly bundle? So you can just change the bundle each month if you need to? Can you keep the same number?

Nico
    Free Member

So on giffgaff you buy the phone and monthly bundle? So you can just change the bundle each month if you need to? Can you keep the same number?

Yes.

I’ve just bought a motog4 plus. £230 shipped from Shenzhen. Choose your colour scheme! Mahoosive screen, fingerprint doodads, good camera. I’m on PAYG.

allan23
    Free Member

Moto G4 as a recent aquisition.

Stock Android, no provider bloat or messy UI. Can design you own on the Moto Maker site and get it delivered Sim Free from £160ish.

Phone seems to work so far, no real fancy features but does dual Sim OK with my work SIM and will make calls, pick up e-mails and a few apps. Camera works well for a mobile, supposed to be 13MP, seems to take clear photos in ideal light, not so good in odd light conditions.

G4 Plus has a slightly better camera and a fingerprint scanner for £50 or so more.

Edit: Use BT for the SIM, get a cheaper deal due to paying over the odds for broadband. All works out in the end.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Oneplus 3 and go Giffgaff?

I bought an iPhone SE and am on Giffgaff but am seriously considering getting the Oneplus 3.

paul4stones

Oneplus 3? You missed this bit

‘m dead tight.

😉

Everyone on here seems to rave about the Motorola phones. Am I right in thinking the G4 is an updated version of the G3? What’s the 3rd gen thing about?

Looks like this deal: http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/motorola-moto-g4/about-the-phone/about is pretty good for me. Still on talkmobile.

Alternatively GiffGaff have a Motorola phone for £120 and their £10 monthly sim makes £15/month over two years with the freedom to swap around if need be. What happens if the phone breaks or gets lost?
    Also, how easy is it to unlock a phone and remove ‘bloatware’?

br
    Free Member

Refurbed iPhone 5S.

I’m a bit of a luddite (only went to a s/h iPhone 4S in 2015, after always having Nokia’s), and on SIMonly with 3.

Now on a hand-me-down 5S, works really well.

jimmy

Trouble is I’ve always just gone into carphone warehouse and they don’t have talkmobile

go elsewhere?

paul4stones

Yes. That’s why I’m asking 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

iPhone 5C for under £120 and then GiffGaff. I know you said 02, but don’t they use the same network?

paul4stones

There’s a suggestion on here somewhere that giffgaff piggy back on O2 and so don’t always have first call on it and so their coverage somehow isn’t as good.

Is a 4yr old iPhone better than a newer android?

allan23
    Free Member

Everyone on here seems to rave about the Motorola phones. Am I right in thinking the G4 is an updated version of the G3? What’s the 3rd gen thing about?

The 3rd gen is the number of releases of the MotoG that Motorola did. It got confusing as they did a MotoG 4G (or some similar confusing name) that was a Moto G3 with 4G capability. Then the real Moto4G came out and the 3rd Gen\4th Gen terminology rubbish started.

The new 4G is a bit bigger than they older MotoG, never owned the older ones so can’t compare, mines a usable size though.

Motorola is a Lenovo brand now so you get Lenovo logos on bootup which was odd at first.

johnners
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking the G4 is an updated version of the G3? What’s the 3rd gen thing about?

The phone is the Moto G, the number is the generation. So the G4 is the latest iteration. In essence vs the G3 it has a bigger screen, battery, processor and RAM ramped up a bit, but it loses the waterproofing.

edit: as above!

kaiser
    Free Member

moto g4 ..just bought one ( had 1st gen also )…great phone and 2yrs warranty from J lewis at £160.

Saccades
    Free Member

Just bought a sim free Moto G3 from amazon – £109

Not too heavy, water resistant and does all the basics really well – not too sure about all the other stuff but then I’ve not needed it yet.

Del

There’s a suggestion on here somewhere that giffgaff piggy back on O2 and so don’t always have first call on it and so their coverage somehow isn’t as good.

i don’t buy that.

Is a 4yr old iPhone better than a newer android?

well, it won’t have a warranty for a start. IMO, no, unless you also have other apple products and want to get in to that ecosystem thing.

buying a phone off gifgaff is the same as any other online retailer.
    if you decide to go that way for sim then find someone you know who can recommend you – you both get a bit of a bonus IIRC. only a fiver or something but better than nowt.
    you can port you current number to gifgaff with no problem, same as any other provider.

sadexpunk

i don’t buy that.

not sure if its correct or not but both me and wifey had same phone, me on giffgaff, her on 02, hers always got a better signal than me. in the end the poor signal frustrated me that much i ditched em and went to three. now i iz happy.

paul4stones

@Del – sorry, what I meant was not an actual 4 year old phone but an iphone that was a new launch 4 years ago (ok, it may only be three years ago). Is that still better than a new (like Moto G4 for example) android phone?
    I’ve got an iPad but it seems to be able to communicate well enough with android stuff anyway.

Thanks all for the advice so far.

paul4stones

Moto G4 with £30 off in John Lewis now. £130 sounds a good deal with a 2yr warranty.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sorry about this….new mobile phone recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.