Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sorry about this – gears all over the oche
  • scandal42
    Free Member

So, noticed a bit of skipping the other day and went to investigate with the bike in the stand last night.

In the 3 or 4 smallest cogs (hardest gears) on the back (1×10) the chain is constantly coming off the lower jockey wheels and towards the wheel, this is actually resulting in the chain jamming and some horrific banging noises.

Jockey wheel looked worn so swapped from another bike and it still does it.

What is the most likely cause? Chain line isn’t great with it being 1×10 but this hasn’t been a problem in the past.

Clutch on the mech is quite tight so isn’t being pulled all over the place either.

Cheers

canopy
    Free Member

just had similar.. but mine was only jumping on the two (easiest) biggest on the back, and only using the smnallest on the front.

i did come off last weekend, and after that is when i first noticed issues.

chain is very new, cassette wasn’t, so i replaced the cassette.. still does it. then noticed mech wasn’t aligned nicely… not sure if mech or mech hanger, so have replaced both!

so learning from my mistake before replacing everything.. did you **** it on anything? sounds like the mech or hanger from what you’ve said so far.

(p.s. there was a ball end from an allen set stuck in my mech hanger – don’t ask. so i was keen to remedy that as well – had to use a dremel to cut a notch which i could turn with a flat head screwdriver)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Inconsistent problem limited to one end of the cassette = usually mech or hanger misalignment IME.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks,

I’ll check tonight.

sam_underhill

I had this on my old Turner Flux. It turned out that the mech hanger AND the mech were goosed. It wasn’t until I replaced both the problem was resolved.

scandal42
    Free Member

I’ll try and straighten them if possible.

Could yet again scupper my plans to get riding this weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sorry about this – gears all over the oche’ is closed to new replies.