Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • sorry. 29er storms anything better?
  • trusty

Looking for a mud tyre that’s not lethal on rock and root as there’s plenty of those around here as well. Ran storms last year, but looking at the bigger beaver and magic mary as well but few proper reviews of them as yet. The new Michelin mud looks like it’s too spiky on harder surfaces and again very few reviews. Any thoughts?

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve got bonty mud-xr front and rear for my winter steed, bearing in mind it’s still dry and the bike is rigid – it was plenty grippy on the roots on it’s proving run.

scaredypants

traction in mud plus grip on wet roots is a tricky one, probably impossible if you’re going to ask for “not draggy” as well 🙁

trusty

Want,want,want. That’s me 😉 draggy I don’t mind, I’d rather stay upright on the downs when it’s greasy, rocky and steep.

nuke

My preference is Mud-X (or what ever they are now called) for the mud season although I’d prefer them with a bit thicker sidewall as I find the sidewalls a bit flimsy when run tubeless

Clink

Maxxis Beaver is a good all-round winter tyre. Also available in a wider 2.25. Not draggy at all (for a winter tyre).

Pridds

Going to try Kenda honey badgers. Got a good write up in the mag and sound ideal for my winter riding

trusty

I’d looked at the mud x but it seems exactly the same as the storm. I was looking at the 2.2 beaver and magic mary as they’re bigger and maybe a bit more aggressive

trusty

No one running the magic mary now it’s wet?

danbo
    Free Member

Im running a Magic Mary. No complaints at all so far gripping superbly and better than the Hans Dampf i ran last year. Don’t think I will be changing it for anything else.

scaredypants

draggy I don’t mind, I’d rather stay upright on the downs when it’s greasy, rocky and steep.

well, then, Sir will be wanting a supertacky swampthing (or just maybe some black chilli bollocks) 😀

scaredypants

oops, hang on, Sir rides a 29er – may have to be black chilli bollocks after all

trusty

Cheers all. A st swampthing would be ace, used to run them on my old bike. No one seems to make an equivalent tho in 29

Bigmantrials

I have always been a fan of the Beavers, ran them for 2 winters now, I have had both the 2.0 and the 2.25 on my carbon hardtail, prefered the 2.25’s due to their larger volume, A great all rounder winter tyre IMO.

I am actually selling my pair of barely worn 2.25’s as I won’t be needing them this winter, £45 plus postage, I have pictures, there is am e-mail in my profile.

Adam

rewski
    Free Member

Going to try Kenda honey badgers

I’m running these on 29HT at the mo, I find the front is a bit sketchy in very wet mud. Storm are better IMO.

Clink

Surely Honey Badgers are an al-round tyre, where as Storms/Beavers etc are winter/mud specific? Bit of an unfair comparison.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘sorry. 29er storms anything better?’ is closed to new replies.