Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SORNing a car online
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

OK so I forgot about my MOT and tax disc lapses this weekend. I presume I can SORN it online on Saturday if my man hasn’t sorted the MOT…and then un-SORN at a later date, all for no £££?

cbike
    Free Member

For that timescale, hardly worth the bother?

DezB
    Free Member
    sbob
    Free Member

and then un-SORN at a later date, all for no £££?

Point of order to avoid a twenty page argument: you can’t un-sorn a car, you insure and tax it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes clever clogs DezB I’ve looked at the website, I’m just checking it will all work in real-time.

cbike I see your point, the car will be off the road after the tax expires, but I can’t get the new VED without an MOT, you are saying I can just get the VED in a few days once I have the MOT?

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s easy enough online, one of my bikes i only tax for the summer. I personally wouldn’t bother for a couple of weeks but technically I suppose you should.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You can only un/de SORN a car at the Post Office when you re register it. I had the same issue this year, faffed around for ages trying to do it online and eventually went to the Post Office where they conformed it wasn’t my incompetence (for once)

Rubber_Buccaneer

And in my experience you can buy your VED after the start of the month online or otherwise without a problem. I have left it a few days late before and suffered no repercussions. I am not one to fret over the letter of the law though.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Stick to wood chopping McMoonter, I’ve never had a problem 🙂

totalshell

you absolutely MUSt either sorn or tax the vehicle. within 10 days you ll be sent the sto fine of 80 quid if you fail to do so. the 80 quid is halved if you pay in 28 days but you ll still have to pay any proportion of the tax that they consider unpaid.. also it costs a couple of quid to pay the fine on the phone.. you cant pay the fine online..

thus speaks the voice of experience…

ps they dont negotiate.. forgot, its in the post, friend came in from town, cant pay wont pay they dont care.. 80 quid a month fine, every month..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SORNing a car online’ is closed to new replies.