Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Soreen Banana Loaf – Still squidgy = still good?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Not sure how old it is, is in my food drawer and I’m hungry. Probably 2 weeks max, but it is still squidgy. Will I get banana poisoning? Or cake death?

peteimpreza

It will be fine, scoff away.

z1ppy

did you say cake or death?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rZVjKlBCvhg[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

It was definitely in the subtext Z1ppy.

And nom nom nom.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

My OH practically lives on it, so it never gets to 2 weeks old, but I am reliably informed that it is very good.

As a coeliac I can’t sample it for myself (cue violin) but I have acquired a recipe for a gluten free equivalent using treacle instead of barley malt – wheat munchers should not have all the fun 😀

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Instant horrible banana death..for sure.

z1ppy

TBH I prefer the std soreen over the banana loaf stuff anyways (though it’s not unpleasant).
    Even tried toasting it (std stuff), as per suggestions on here… there some fricken weirdos about.

EDIT: Did Lifer make it? 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is it mouldy?
    No? Eat it.
    Yes? Scrape off mould then eat it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The standard stuff is good toasted with stilton on it.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve eaten Soreen when its been opened and left in the bottom of my Camelbak for months. It was quite tough, had the consistency and texture of a leather brogue by this point, but it tasted fine and it worked wonders for me when I bonked badly on a ride I had gone out woefully under prepared on!

Incidentally I also found a (perfectly in date and unopened) energy gel in my Camelbak too at the same time… Thank god I had the tough old Soreen there to take away the nasty taste of that thing!!!

You will be fine…

matt_bl
    Free Member

littlemisspanda – Member

My OH practically lives on it, so it never gets to 2 weeks old, but I am reliably informed that it is very good.

As a coeliac I can’t sample it for myself (cue violin) but I have acquired a recipe for a gluten free equivalent using treacle instead of barley malt – wheat munchers should not have all the fun

Any chance of posting the recipe up? I have wheat issues myself and haven’t found anything which quite replaces malt loaf.

Matt

Lifer
    Free Member

No banana death, horribly instant or otherwise, just standard bananary satisfaction. Although any negative effects may take a few more hours…

Never occurred to me to try it toasted! Something to look forward to. What jam for banana loaf toast?

I find mule kick gels quite palatable, the espresso one is weird at first but certainly does the job and the cherry one tastes like sweeties.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Soreen Banana Loaf – Still squidgy = still good?’ is closed to new replies.