Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sore hip joint
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I haven't done anything strenous for the last week or so. Haven't been out on the bike. Suddenly this morning my hip joint starts hurting*. Feels like a twisted ankle but in the hip. I am guessing rest and ibuprofen is best but as I haven't been exercising or anything it would be hard to rest any more. I am spending most of the day sat at a desk which is getting increasingly uncomfortable.

Any suggestions on recovery/pain relief?

*I have rules out Cancer, pregnancy, lavael growths and comorrant related diseases.

ddmonkey

I have had something similar for a while, its really gradually going away and for a while seemed to be manifesting itself as what felt like a mild groin strain, or a hernia (but clearly wasn't), or a sore outer hip (bositis?) from one moment to the next. I've taken ibruprofen, had a few weeks off the bike, stretched, etc etc. Now its just a background thing that doesn't seem to be aggravated by riding but its still niggling away. I've no idea what it is and am just putting up with now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You won't get any sympathy from the vultures on here. I tried that. Nowt.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

MTFU

🙂

i get terrifying hip pain every so often

does the pain spread down the leg? If it does then it may be lower back/hamstring related. I stretch my hamstrings a lot which helps.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

or a sore outer hip (bositis?) sounds close. PP I gave you sympathy*. Is there any clever way to sit on a chair without pain and without looking wierd? Currentl sat with one buttock on the chair and the other hanging loose.

*Okay not exactly sympathy, more like nightmares

wwaswas

can you work ona kitchen worktop or something for a bit? standing for a while might help.

I find that, 7 years afetr breakign my hip, that if I don't exercise for a week or two it starts aching. A half hour ride is often enough to 'free it up' – might be worth a try?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I dream of riding at the moment. Hopefully this weekend.

The guys I am working with knew me from a few years ago and EXPLICITLEY sated in the contract that I was not allowed to ride a bike during the time I was in Switzerland. Sometimes my reputation does me no favours.

wwaswas

well, bit of runnign then? – anythign that flexes the muslces and tendons aroudn the hip itself seemed to help me.

ChrisE
    Free Member
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Scyatica – No. It is specifically in the joint. Feels a bit like I popped the ball out of the socket but less painful

Trekster

Think you have problems ❓

Sore big toe on left foot, probable cause being the fact I dropped a Triumph 2000 flywheel on it from shoulder height. Knackered tendon in same left foot. Pains in both Achilles probably from playing too much squash wearing cheap shoes in the early days. Bad back probably from working on the farm from the age of 9 and carrying heavy weights like 10st corn bags up into lofts in my early teens. Dodgy neck probably due to whiplash from the 1/2doz or so car crashes I have been in. Sore right wrist from sprains in my early years and yrs of using big spanners and tools over the years at work.

Did I mention mt knees ❓

skidartist
    Free Member

Think you have problems

Me too, I sometimes get a dull stabbing pain in my eye when I drink a cup of tea.

tonyg2003

Hi DDmonkey

I have exactly the same symptoms at the moment – bursitis – irritation of the synovial fuild sac between the muscles on the outside of the hip and the bone, plus what feels like a mild groin strain. I've had it on and off for two years and I find that if I don't warm up properly/push too hard too quickly I get it badly.

I'm taking Ibuprofen / ice packs to reduce it. I think it's due to my back not being strong enough and lack of flexibility (probably coupled with too much driving). So I'm doing lots of streches and core muscle excercises. I got rid of it over the summer but then had 8 weeks off with a broken collarbone. Now I think I've done too mcuh too soon and agravated it.

Let me know if you sort yours out.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Just to really panic you 🙂
    is it a Burning sensation, or a sharp pain when you move the joint a certain way.
    Mine started as a massive pain if i opened the joint, i could cycle no problem, but then i started to notice a burning sensation in my hip after walking less than a mile. I now can't go on my bike, i did a 3 mile round trip to the postoffice on the flat and was in agony (burning hip) for 4 days. Doctor sent me for an x-ray = Arthritis! "Here's some diclofenac, Goodday!"

ddmonkey

I was wondering about the driving thing – seems to have coincided with a new car and I can never seem to get comfy with my clutch foot in it. I hope it not arthritis! Nothing I can do about it other than try to keep strong and flexible as you say…

tonyg2003

Hi DDmonkey. Mine is definitely bursitis – if you poke the outside of the hip it hurts and when it's bad I can't sleep on that side. Interestingly I get it in my right hip – too much pushing the clutch and twisting the hips? When I'm driving I try to move around the seat so that I don't cause too much pressure on the one spot on the outside of the hip. I am considering getting an auto though.

This is good http://www.medicinenet.com/hip_bursitis/article.htm

You'll be pleased to know that you have "weaver's bottom" or "tailor's bottom."

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mine is in my right hip but I use my right leg for the accelerator

tonyg2003

err maybe I wasn't being clear….worldclassaccident you push down the left leg and twist the hip and this can affect the right leg.

anagallis_arvensis

My hips are whats known in the medical profession as ****. I had what was diagnosed as a groin strain for about 8 years till it got so bad I couldnt ride anymore. It was this http://www.hipfai.com have had one op on the left going in to have the right done on Xmas eve.

iBike
    Free Member

OK – I am no medical expert, but my gf is in the trade and I constantly get ear-bashed about my posture. Apparently the problem with biking is that we can push really hard and get really fit without developing any core strength and stability. That means you cope when in the saddle but without your bum on a seat and feet clipped in your support muscles can't counter the power your main muscles generate. Dare I say it… Ask around for a good local physio – pref one that also does pilates. If it's your core s/he will give you some good exercises to work on that will build up your core strength and support muscles. If not, it could be any number of more sinister problems that are better off diagnosed and dealt with now before you cause knock on injuries that might stop you riding too… You might also like to look at your desk set-up (Chair / screen hight / etc). Good luck!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sore hip joint’ is closed to new replies.