Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sore Cave Man Hands – Avid…..Grrrrr !!
  • Cotters
    Free Member

Ok, I know this has been covered before, but I just can’t get the new pads back into my Juicy 7’s. I suspect it’s because one of the pistons is stuck a lttle too far out and despite soaking it in WD 40 it won’t budge.

The question therefore is – would it help to let out some oil and then ease piston back, fit pads then bleed ???

I am sure there are plenty of you out there who have had the same problem, but advice please ??

foxyrider
    Free Member

The stock pads are a PITA – the superstar Kevlars are much easier to put in IMHO 🙂 – I think the stock pads have a thicker pad and or back plate – Not the best solution but try filing a bit of the pad off ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wd40 is the wrong stuff to use – strip and clean the brake and hope you have not wreaked the seals

You can try letting some fluid out – but its not usually the issue unless you have topped the fluid up with worn pads

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, as TJ said, WD40 not good. Pistons don’t tend to seize enough to need WD anyway, it’s probably just that Juicy thing where the “pin” in the middle of the piston protrudes just enough to stop the pads fitting in. Big screwdriver, force the pistons back. Get the pads in quick! Maybe open the reservoir cover if they won’t go, but I’ve never needed to do this and you’ll probably have to bleed afterwards.

JonR
    Free Member

Yes, letting fluid out should help. I was having a pig of a time fitting pads to my missus’ freshly bled juicy 5s a few months back until I realised that one of the pistons was protruding. I couldn’t get it back in for love nor money until I released one of the bleed screws and it slid easily back in pushing out a bit of fluid as it did.

The pads then went in, I wont say easily as their juicys but it didn’t take me long and then another quick bleed and they were good as new.

Cotters
    Free Member

Cheers everyone – one last go tonight…… 🙁

neninja
    Free Member

Let’s hope the WD40 hasn’t made the seals swell!

coatesy
    Free Member

Use the ring end of a combination spanner (10mm is about right), not a screwdriver to push it back, and use a bit of a rocking action to walk it back if it’s stuck at a bit of an angle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sore Cave Man Hands – Avid…..Grrrrr !!’ is closed to new replies.