Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sore ankle from SPDs… what should i adjust or change??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Im pretty new to spds and have done quite a bit of riding in the last few weeks. Ive noticed my right ankle is a bit stiff/sore just below the fibula. Bike is a Kinesis Pro6.
    I have been using some cheap shimano MT23 shoes and shimano spds.
    The cleats are on the forward of the two hole positions more to avoid toe overlap than anything else.

Any ideas on what i should adjust first?
    Cleat position?
    Seat height?
    Stem length?
    Seat post has a slight set back on it as it was what i had lying around the shed.

irc

If you have done much more riding than usual the soreness might be overuse rather than SPD related.

I’d get the riding position right before thinking about cleat position. Toe overlap is not a factor I would take into account for cleat position.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you have done much more riding than usual the soreness might be overuse rather than SPD related.

Probably this. When you apply being new to anything, and then doing a lot of it, it’s usually an adaption/overuse issue.

In the same position as yourself, as recently started using SPDs on a CX, and after doing a lot of reading I went with the foot further over the pedal…so the pedal spindle is slightly behind the ball of the foot, and just keep an eye on my feet when making a sharp turn 😉

How you getting on with the Pro6? I went with a steel framed Croix De Fer, but now contemplating swapping the frame out for the lighter Pro6, as I forgot just how many styles/fences I have to lift my bike over.

ali69er
    Free Member

I have found that the foot position made a big difference after getting major pain in the big toe on the right foot, but it didn’t go away, have since slackened off one of the straps which has largely solved it. So consider how tight the shoe is and where the pain is.

spooky_b329

Cleat position is very important so don’t assume its overuse without trying some adjustments.

Try and get the cleat directly under the ball of your foot. Don’t assume your feet should both point straight forwards, if you unclip you may find you ride slightly heel in/out, and each foot could be different.

I set my saddle height so my leg is comfortably straight (i.e. not rocking hips or stretching at all) with my heel on the pedal.

Saddle fore/aft – I like my knees to above the pedal axle but can’t really tell you how to work this out, too far back and it feels like my knees are behind the pedals and not as comfortable.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.. I’ll try moving the cleats and maybe drop my seat a touch.
    Jamie.. the bike feels great. Only really ridden on the road at the minute but it just feels right. Straight from the the first time I pedaled down the street i knew I’d be spending a lot more time riding it than my mtb.
    I’ve even started riding to work (11 miles and 1000ft of climbing each way).

therevokid
    Free Member

mocve the cleats first …. try it and see – but only change 1 thing at a
    time 🙂
    Sounds a lot like your cleats are too far forward though !

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve even started riding to work (11 miles and 1000ft of climbing each way).

Sudden increase in mileage is looking most likely cause

Having said that, cleat alignment could also be an issue. Not so much forward/backward but the angle of the foot, meaning both the heels in/out axis and the rolled in/out axis. I got bike fitted a few years ago and now use wedges to slightly lift the inside edge of the foot. On flats you can move your foot around so it doesn’t matter if the position isn’t perfect – if you’re clipped in it needs to be right.

Jamie
    Free Member

if you’re clipped in it needs to be right.

Even with decent amounts of float from most SPD pedals?

*not trying to poke a 650b sized hornet’s nest, just curious*

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jamie it just means the margin for error is bigger – its still there though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Should I rest until it stops niggling or move my cleats and carry on? It just feels like I’ve ever so slightly rolled my ankle.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

My guess is that it’s cleat alignment or a loose cleat. Have you checked the bolts on the cleats? If one is loose the shoe will move around maybe not enough for you to notice but your ankle muscles definitely will feel the pain as they try to keep your foot steady.

Increase in mileage or increased climbing or wrong saddle height would likely affect your knees before your ankle.

How did you set the cleats up? Did you do the ‘sit on the edge of a table and let your feet dangle’ trick to see how in what position your feet naturally rest and then replicate this on the cleats?

Check the cleat bolts and positioning and report back.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Re your last question if it’s caused by wrong positioning or a loose cleat you just need to sort it out and carry on riding.

You shouldn’t ride without sorting it out tho’ as this will just aggravate matters

cloudnine
    Free Member

How did you set the cleats up?

Little bit like putting my bike together… I Screwed it all together as fast as possible and gave it no thought very little thought whatsoever.. Schoolboy error.

Confusingly i bought a brand new pair of etnies the other week so its possible a new pair of shoes could be to blame or not helping either.

Cleats on my shoes are all tight
    Sat with my legs off the table my feet point slightly outwards.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Sat with my legs off the table my feet point slightly outwards.

and when you clip in and stand on the pedals and look down are your feet in the same position (excepting the table)?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Turns out I have one leg a half inch longer than the other.
    Had a bike fit today and had my cleat on my right foot shimmed out.
    Rode 10 miles home and there was immediate relief from my ankle.
    Also had my pedalling technique analyzed so improved my position and technique.
    Just glad it’s sorted and had all my bad habits pointed out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sore ankle from SPDs… what should i adjust or change??’ is closed to new replies.