Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sore achilles tendon after road ride
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

3 weeks in a row after my Sunday morning ride I’ve had a sore achilles tendon. It’s gone by Tuesday morning but is enough to have me side-stepping down stairs and wincing if I use it suddenly.

I stretch before riding. I warm down too.

Someone suggested a too-high saddle but wouldn’t that mean both sides are likely to be equally sore. Anything I should think about or try?

Thanks

JoB
    Free Member

the onset of a sore achilles in cycling is commonly an over-use problem, are you doing longer weekend rides or are you riding/commuting in the week?

lowering the saddle and moving your cleats back can help, but go and see a sports physio that understands cyclists, or go and see a bikefitter, the problem could be elsewhere and only making itself known via your achilles, getting useful advice that will help your specific problem over the internet is a bit like throwing darts at a football field and hoping to hit the centre spot, whilst wearing a blindfold and standing in the car-park

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks Jo.

I commute 10km (2×5) most weekdays, a big mtb ride every 2 weeks or so and ~70km on road most Sundays. More than some but it doesn’t seem like massive over-use.

I’ll double check that cleats on my shows are in the same place. Following on from your suggestion, if the non-sore side cleat is further back then it’s something to try.

I know of a good bike-fitter so it sounds like that’s a good bet. No idea about sports physios with cycling-specific knowledge.

Cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Your cleats should likely be in a different place, as there’s a good chance one of your feet is a different size to the other.

JoB
    Free Member

by overuse it’s generally day-on-day big distance that can bring it on so it sounds like it’s not that, especially if you’ve been doing the same thing for quite a while

having ridden with achilles pain (from overuse) that felt like someone stabbing ice cold knives into the back of my heels i hope you get it sorted soon 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

Please go and see a physio. If it’s that sore then you are at increased risk of a rupture which, trust me, is not a good thing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As above and stop riding ! Unfortunately you need to get it right again and if you do t stop now you will a months of trouble.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

IANAP but I suspect moving the cleats backwards will help, plus make sure saddle isn’t too high (even if simply using the heel method on pedal at 6 o’clock without rocking hips)…

After some bike rest (or very gentle rides) and some exercises like slowly raising on to tip toes before standing normally again.

TiRed

I think your saddle’s in the wrong place relative to the BB and your are suffering an over-extension repetitive strain. Moving your cleats is one solution, but I’d suggest moving the saddle first. Forwards and lower, start by 0.5cm forwards and a whole cm lower. See how it feels. Sounds dramatic, but you are definitely able to recreate the same effect.

What’s the current setback relative to the BB? What saddle and what seat angle/frame?

trail_rat
    Free Member

and for another opinion

had same shit

turned out to be tension in my lower back pulling all the muscles in my legs taught and manifesting its self in my achillies.

several physios missed this and treated with localised massage and charged me quite alot for the privilege . THE MINUTE i got my first lower back masage and specific exercises for hte lower back tension rather than achillies exercises …. it went away almost over night – so much so that i went from being unable to ride 50miles without a sore achillies to finishing strathpuffer solo within 3 months pain free.

Every one is different , telling him to move XYZ etc without seeing him is a bit like pulling out your crystal ball to fix him.

shermer75
    Free Member

robcolliver
    Free Member

Is it bad enough that you can hear it creaking yet? If it is, dremel your cleat slots further back, lower your saddle 25mm and ductape your achilles and carry on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If it’s that sore then you are at increased risk of a rupture which

no more than he was before the pain started mind,

see shermers post.

martinhutch

Why only one side? Very few of us have a perfectly balanced pedalling action. It’s also not unusual for one of your legs to effectively be shorter than the other one because your pelvis is slightly tilted. Seriously. Something as simple as muscle imbalance/tension in your hips and back can pull your pelvis out of alignment.

I had physio for this issue last year – and I was quite lopsided, according to him.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll take it seriously.

I’m coming home for Christmas so will be bikeless for 3-4 weeks so probably good timing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

while you are bikeless you could do much worse than working on general body conditioning.

as martin hutch says we are not symetrical

i know I’m tight down my left side – where when i was younger i could just abuse it and get away with it – these days it makes its self known , in my neck/shoulder and hip

I find working on staying flexible helps no end.

BigJohn

Like others above, I am against internet diagnosis. But:

I stretch before riding

made me think you answered your own question.

trail_rat
    Free Member

while im not a fan of stretching Pre or even Post exercise

how exactly does stretching cause achillies pain after the ride such as the OP is experiancing.

joemmo
    Free Member

If it’s that sore then you are at increased risk of a rupture which
    no more than he was before the pain started mind,

see shermers post.

Well that differs from what I was told but advice changes.. nonetheless it would indicate all is not well. I largely ignored or tried to work through my achilles pain until it went pop while jogging backwards.
    Go and see an expert 🙂

martinhutch

My calves are like post-tensioned concrete, though, which could explain my achilles problems.

globalti
    Free Member

Sounds like tenosynovitis of the Achilles tendon; I had this at the beginning of a 15 week summer job leading Ramblers groups up the French Alps but I managed to get through (in the pre-ibuprofen era) by taking care not to lace my boots too tight and softening the heel with lard from the hotel kitchen. Is the heel of the cycling shoe pressing on the tendon? I would ice it, rub on ibuprofen gel and rest it; it will go away eventually but you need to give it a chance.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sore achilles tendon after road ride’ is closed to new replies.