Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Soooooo 2013 Saint… Release date anyone?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Anybody have a release date that I’ve missed when they’ll be hitting the shops?

Before anybody says in an STW humorous fashion, I’m aware its 2013, but they are usually released the year before 😀

Thanks!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

So, they’ll be released this year or next then I guess.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Very accurate thank you, just the response i was looking for…

🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

September/October time apparently.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Brilliant thank you.

Dunk10
    Free Member

July is the provisional date so far…

Teapot
    Free Member

Depending on exactly what you want, late June/ early July.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Single chainring and short cage mech only – no thanks, I’ll go SLX.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What did you expect, its for DH bikes.

perthmtb
    Free Member

It’s official then, I’m not hard core enough for Saint any more 🙁

Mister-P
    Free Member

Early July is looking good at the moment.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I expect that a lot of gravity enduro type bikes will also use Saint and it’s cheaper cousin Zee in 2013. In theory with a clutch short cage rear mech it should do away with the need for a full chain device.

Gotama
    Free Member

Providing you’re running a relatively small single chainring at the front would you be able to use a short cage mech with a 36 tooth casette or do you need the medium.

neil853
    Free Member

Depening on pricing I’m looking at a Saint rear mech. I like the sturdy look of them. Ideal for Enduro as someone has already said.

Mister-P
    Free Member

SRP on Saint is £139.99, SRP on Zee is £69.99

Providing you’re running a relatively small single chainring at the front would you be able to use a short cage mech with a 36 tooth casette or do you need the medium.

The size of the chainring won’t matter, it is the difference in largest to smallest sprocket that determines the cage length on a single ring set up. And yes, the new short cage Saint and Zee mechs will cope with 11-36 cassettes. There isn’t a medium option.

Gotama
    Free Member

Great, thank you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s official then, I’m not hard core enough for Saint any more

lol, I didn’t mean it in a derogatory way, more like “it’s a DH groupset, why would you be surprised that it’s only a single ring”, running it on a more ‘normal’ bike would just be adding weight? Bear in mind Vouloiz (sp?) used ultegra cranks at the mega.

Chainring size won’t affect it, and the new mechs have some sort of mounting option that allows you to switch them between 11-28 and 11-32 though (no mention of 34 or 36).

[edit] Mr P works for them IIRC so probably has a better source than what I read on pinkbike article.

Gotama
    Free Member

I did see that pinkbike article after Mister Ps post when i went picture browsing. Hopefully the freeride setting will stretch to 36 as it will be ideal for my needs.

perthmtb
    Free Member

From the Shimano website:

Ready for track and trail, the mode converter easily adapts between two settings for MTB cassette gear ratios (11-32, 11-34, 11-36) and road (11-23, 11-25, 11-28).

So looks like 11/36 is no problem, even tho’ its only a short cage.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Saint info on Shimano website

The Saint mech is switchable between MTB and road ratio cassette settings. Zee has two different mechs, one for up to 28T and one for up to 36T.

Gotama
    Free Member

Mister P speaks the truth 😀

mtbant
    Free Member

Cheers for the info Mister P, just trashed my rear mech and would love one of these new ones, cant come soon enough!!! anywhere to pre-order them 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Here’s a question, (having just trashed my SRAM mech and considering zee) will a SS caged shimano mech work with a 1×10 full susser with a 11-36 cassette i.e is the cage long enough to deal with a wide ratio cassette and the chain growth?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Soooooo 2013 Saint… Release date anyone?’ is closed to new replies.