Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sooo I borrowed an HTC Vive
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

from a close friend of mine whilst he’s on holiday – cracked out an old HOTAS joystick and rudder pedals from my teens (and somehow managed to get these to work with windows 10)

And then bought this

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcg1bKxwC4M[/video]

After hours of fiddling to get it to work decently, all I can say is….Holy Shitballs….I want one of these…really really reaaaaaaaally want.

chvck
    Free Member

Not worth it at the moment in my opinion. Looks to be some big names releasing games for VR next year though and hopefully the price will come down, over a grand for console + VR setup is tad steep…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nope, this shit is insane – it’s worth it for IL2 alone – if you’re into planes. There’s something about the stereoscopic vision, combined with the headtracking and huge picture – that is utterly awesome when you’re tracking an enemy fighter in lag pursuit then opening fire – with bits of the enemy aircraft flying past you and then the amazing smoke trails.

chvck
    Free Member

If I had that sort of money spare then I’d probably be more inclined to agree to be fair! I’ve used the ps4 one but I think that the vive is the one to have of the selection atm.

jimdubleyou

Yup that does look cool as f.

How much & where can I buy one?

arcadian
    Free Member

I’ve only played simple games (friend’s vive, not mine), like the bow and arrow one, the virtual job one and another one shooting robots. It’s totally mental how good it feels even on simple games, just totally different from how I’ve played any other computer game. My wife had a shot of it too and suddenly was happy with the idea of me getting a fancy new pc so we could get our own vive!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve only played the bow and arrow game but it was bloody amazing! If I had a decent PC I’d definitely get one but can’t justify nearly £2k for a decent pc and a vive.

zilog6128

Not tried it but I suspect Tom is right, this technology is perfect for flight sims. Obviously a pilot will be looking around constantly to spot the enemy (especially WW2 etc with no radar) and it always bugged me that you couldn’t do this easily on flight sims.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You could, with track IR – but it’s a bit of a pain to setup right and no where near as accurate and very sensitive as you have to be able to keep your eyes on the screen.

I guess whether it’s worth it depends on whether you’re already a PC gamer, a decent TV for a console sets you back about 500 quid (I don’t have one) and I have a fast enough PC if I upgrade to a GTX 1070 or 1080 – so the outlay is more like 1k.

I will hold off until next year – but it is great. Did I mention that IL2 is an awesome sim? Linked up with a few friends of mine from 12-13 years ago when I was playing the original, we carried out a low level airfield raid in a finger four formation on one of the online serves – just being able to look over your shoulder and see your buddies skimming the treetops with you on the way to the target area is probably the most memorable gaming experience I’ve ever had.

Flaperon

Had a play with PS VR last week and while it was – technically – incredibly impressive and pretty immersive, I think there’s something odd about sitting alone with a VR headset on.

I felt very vulnerable with it on, and it struck me as being as antisocial as drinking myself into a stupor alone.

Great fun though…

GeForceJunky

I have a Vive, it’s amazing. Dirt Rally is the best games so far, but you do need to have a seat setup that closely matches a car. Raw Data is also very very very good.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Had a play with PS VR last week and while it was – technically – incredibly impressive and pretty immersive, I think there’s something odd about sitting alone with a VR headset on.

The same can be said for walking, climbing or mountainbiking yourself – I think that’s more self-conciousness in regards to being seen as a nerd than anything.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sooo I borrowed an HTC Vive’ is closed to new replies.