Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • sooner or later someone is going to end up paralyzed or dead…
  • alpin
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onJKWSyV0KM[/video]

and for what? 45000 green dollars…. worth it?

JoB
    Free Member

i nearly died riding to the shops for a pint of milk

5thElefant
    Free Member

They get paid?

nealglover
    Free Member

.. worth it?

For them it is obviously.

It’s not like it’s The Hunger Games and you have to do it if your name comes up.

tomhoward

Calculated risk innit.

wrightyson
    Free Member

JoB – Member

POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

This!

binners

I gather the person holding a gun to his head is just out of shot?

We’re human beings. We do really stupid shit! We normally do this really stupid shit because it’s a right laugh! Being an idiot is bloody brilliant fun!!! Most of us live through it though.

God called it ‘Freedom of Choice’

And who are we to argue with him 😀

alpin
    Free Member

🙂

much respect to them, but i’m not sure that the risks they are taking is worth the reward…. and bear in mind, if you crash and snap your self you are not going to be walking away with a cheque for 45K.

we all take risks when out riding. i’ve enough scars and the odd broken bone, torn ligament and tendon, too…

i’m just a bit “meh” when it comes to the whole Rampage thing. not really sure what the point is.

Coyote
    Free Member

not really sure what the point is.

There has to be a point?

matt_outandabout

sooner or later someone is going to end up paralyzed or dead…

I can guarantee that we will all end up doing one of those in life.
    Depends on how you want to go.

I personally think the death and injury rate in cars is unacceptable, but we all still use them.

butcher

That crash didn’t look that bad really. It’s not something I would do, or even contemplate for any amount of money really, but it’s not something new, to do dangerous stuff. You can watch early examples of motor racing on Youtube, the bodies of crash victims being dragged to the side of the track while the racing continued around them. On the grand scale of things, most sports have probably become safer.

kayak23

Someone may end up paralysed AND dead…
    I don’t think you’ve fully weighed up the consequences.

toys19
    Free Member

It’s called living life. I’m glad they do it, I admire and respect them, I couldn’t/wouldn’t and I’m happy that they are achieving their dreams.

jon1973
    Free Member

I nearly died riding to the shops for a pint of milk

Skimmed or semi-skimmed?

blob
    Free Member

This interview with Cam Zink provides an interesting perspective on this Link

chewkw
    Free Member

alpin – Member

No loss. Their choice of earning a living.

🙄

fervouredimage
    Free Member

No, i doubt the money even comes into it. Nobody chooses to this sort if thing for the money. If we attached risk to monetary gain then these guys would be multi millionaires. They do it because they want to and there is a platform that allows them to do it that opens it and them to the whole world with a very little added bonus of some prize money.

Fair play to all of them.

butcher

No, i doubt the money even comes into it. Nobody chooses to this sort if thing for the money. If we attached risk to monetary gain then these guys would be multi millionaires. They do it because they want to and there is a platform that allows them to do it that opens it and them to the whole world with a very little added bonus of some prize money.

Whilst I largely agree with this, it has to be said that a lot of these guys must be under massive amounts of pressure to perform. The prize money will be of little relevance, but their sponsors will certainly be thinking about money, and to make money you’ve got to be the best. It’s a bit like when riders are pushed into doping in pro cycling. And I dare say not everyone is entirely comfortable with what they’re doing out there. But at the same time, I bet some of them love it, and as has been said, no-one has a gun to their head. And every single one of them were drawn to the risk in the first place. You don’t even consider a career like that unless you’re a complete loon to start with.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I gather the person holding a gun to his head is just out of shot?

This makes no sense 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

Is it just me or is everything the “analyst” says complete bollocks? It had nothing to do with landing “further down the landing” or “his body not being ready”, and everything to do with being under-rotated when the back wheel touches down, surely? 😕

IanMunro
    Free Member

Was the analyst Cotton or Pepper?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIxx6iuYR6A[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it just me or is everything the “analyst” says complete bollocks?

Not watched much sport in the US, I assume? Their commentary is brilliant in the level of utter drivel they spout.

corroded
    Free Member

I find Rampage unwatchable these days (and I’ve been a spectator out there in the past) because what the riders are doing is so high consequence (with such meagre reward). While it’s true that nobody is holding a gun to their heads, I think there’s a certain exploitation going on, of young men’s bravado and recklessness, of peer pressure, of the cut-throat competition for sponsorship. That’s just my personal pov.

It’s not exclusive to free ride MTB – other extreme sports do the same in the quest for ever greater ‘spectacle’. But MTB, because I have a have a grasp of what they’re being asked to do, makes me feel especially uncomfortable. It’s telling that riders have said they don’t ‘enjoy’ Rampage. And pro riders have been paralysed while working (not at Rampage).

Sui
    Free Member

He went flying cos his arse smacked the rear wheel, nothing to do with suspension or the landing ramp..

hora
    Free Member

I’ve always thought its only a matter of time with the Rampage. Riders HAVING to go bigger every year. Yeah they dont have to but they are competing for other bigger prizes; other sponsors, future contracts and this IS exposure.

It aint worth it.

Almost killed riding to the shops? A lorry intentionally tried killing us on the motorway on Sunday- I didnt chose or ask him to do that. Theres a difference fella.

molgrips
    Free Member

We normally do this really stupid shit because it’s a right laugh!

Sorry – WE?

I’ve seen you ride!

njee20
    Free Member

And pro riders have been paralysed while working (not at Rampage).

Indeed, Tara Llanes springs to mind.

JoB
    Free Member

hora – Member

Almost killed riding to the shops? A lorry intentionally tried killing us on the motorway on Sunday- I didnt chose or ask him to do that. Theres a difference fella.

congratulations on spotting my point, i’d rather die doing something i chose to do than at the hands of someone else

all riders have the choice whether or not to do this sort of thing, plenty in the past have walked away when they perceive the risk/reward stakes to be skewed the wrong way – for them, there will always be someone more skilled or ballsier, most probably younger following up behind, it’s part of the progression to how Rampage has got to where it is now, it’s the same for every other ‘extreme’ sport

people will be doing crazier stuff next year, someone might hurt themselves

mintimperial

i’d rather die doing something i chose to do than at the hands of someone else

Amen! Better to live one day as a wolf doing massive front flips off a mesa than a lifetime as a sheep who can’t even pull a sodding wheelie. Live fast, die young, leave a horribly mangled corpse embedded in the transition, that’s my motto. Or will be, once I get the hang of wheelies.

These guys know the risks. They live for different reasons to the rest of us, like mountaineers, explorers and whatnot. They’re driven to it. The fact that so few of them have bitten the dust properly just goes to show how damn good they are at assessing the risks and balancing them with their abilities. I can’t even start to contemplate how to do the stuff they’re doing, so I’m not about to start judging them for doing it.

alpin
    Free Member

Better to live one day as a wolf doing massive front flips off a mesa than a lifetime as a sheep who can’t even pull a sodding wheelie. Live fast, die young, leave a horribly mangled corpse embedded in the transition, that’s my motto. Or will be, once I get the hang of wheelies.

😆

brakes
    Free Member

the only value in Rampage is showing people at work the videos and letting them believe that’s the kind of shit you do at a weekend…

Northwind

Don’t focus on the prize money, it’s a visibility thing- you can get more coverage for a single big trick or even crash in Rampage than you can for an entire year’s riding otherwise, that gives it a career value way above the prize fund.

I get where folks are coming from but it’s hard to even be allowed to ride rampage, and a lot of those who’ve earned the right to still choose not to, like Antony Messere opting out even though it took him out of the running for the FMB overall. These aren’t stupid guys throwing themselves off cliffs and hoping to live, they’re not riding anything they don’t believe they can land… And look at frinstance Lacondeguy this year, opting not to do a second run, or Kirill Churbanov going all the way to Rampage from Russia then choosing not to ride…

CountZero

I have no problem with people doing this, it’s entirely their choice. I’ve seen plenty of film of riders hacking the infamous trails and ladders around Seattle and Whistler, and that frightens me more than that video.
    Riders on heavy MX bikes have been doing 360 degree backward and forward rotations for years, so I fail to see the big deal about this.

This is why vegans live longer.

wordnumb
    Free Member

You do realise that Rampage is done with CGI, don’t you? People can’t actually do these superhuman things.

wallop

This is why vegans live longer

Nah, it just feels like you’re living longer 😆

hora
    Free Member

Which reminds me of redbulls other and Eigo Sato. Not in the comp itself but in training for it:

http://www.xgames.espn.go.com/article/8999804/japanese-fmx-rider-x-games-competitor-eigo-sato-dies-crash

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ski Jumping
    Ski Aerobatics
    Half Pipe
    Sky Diving
    Paragliding
    Climbing
    Mountaineering
    Cliff Diving
    MX
    etc.
    it’s only a matter of time

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Yeah, we should ban this for their own safety! Along with the TT, show jumping, mountain climbing, marathon running, the Dakar rally, the round the world yacht race, base jumping etc. etc. etc.

It’s all about risk and reward. And at the end of the day, better that the event is risk mitigated as much as possible in a more formal atmosphere than the alternative.

We remove as much risk from our world as we can and wrap much up in cotton wool, but at the end of the day life threatening situations are what make some people feel alive. These were the people that went and had a look what was in the next valley as stoneage men, or went to space with no idea what the consequences would be. These events are the modern equivalent.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used to ski to a very high level and quite often we would go off on a pair of skis where now in my 40’s I wouldn’t dream of.

In my teens and 20’s the buzz was getting down something that you know you could have just died getting down, the buzz was like nothing else, and I will never forget it.

We weren’t offered any money, Youtube didn’t exist, it was just great fun doing something where you knew the consequences were massive, that was the big part of the buzz

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘sooner or later someone is going to end up paralyzed or dead…’ is closed to new replies.