Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Soon to get Fibre Broadband (FTTC) – Should i move master socket?
  • djambo
    Free Member

Here is what i currently have.

The black wire is where the line enters the house. The grey wire off to the right goes off to where the router and externsions were that i am trying to do away with.

Cougar

Are you in some sort of competition to take the world’s smallest photos? That looks like it should work to me.

How was it wired at the other end, blue & white wires to A & B?

djambo
    Free Member

at the other end before I moved it it had Green going to B and Green/White going to A.

Sory re picture size. Can do bigger ones if needed!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djambo
    Free Member

What I did do first was unscrew the ADSL faceplate and box to see what was in there (was going to send u a pic as asked). I was careful but when I screwed it back on the line was dead so I thought what the hell…i’ll move it to the kitchen where the line comes in and bypass all the shonky wiring.

Is it possible something shorted/broke in the socket I am using that may explain why it’s not working??

Cougar

at the other end before I moved it it had Green going to B and Green/White going to A.

Ah, yeah, it’s the other side of the junction box isn’t it.

Cougar

Is it possible something shorted/broke in the socket I am using that may explain why it’s not working??

Anything’s possible.

Is it a known good phone? Can you try another one?

djambo
    Free Member

by jove…it’s suddenly started working. Phone suddenly connected, i’ve put the faceplate on and plugged the router in and the wifi seems to be working!

Thanks for the help Cougar!

djambo
    Free Member

btw no big increase in speeds….still seems to be between 1-2 mb/s but at least now I have bypassed all the shonky wiring and can strip out all the unnecessary wire before our extension starts!

Cougar

How odd. Must be a loose connection somewhere. Glad you got it working.

djambo
    Free Member

Must be a loose connection somewhere

yes, must be something loos in the box somehwere. Anyhow…thanks again for the advice, even if it wan’t always heeded 🙂

devs
    Free Member

If you are not going to use those extension wires disconnect them. Bell wire interference can reduce speeds. It shouldn’t but it does.
    Also, cougar the filter protects the DSL side from interference from voice equipment. You can test this by have just a router on a circuit and then plugging in a phone or fax machine without a filter. Watch your speed tumble/disconnect. The phone/fax will still work fine.

Cougar

If you are not going to use those extension wires disconnect them.

That’s why we’re here.

cougar the filter protects the DSL side from interference from voice equipment.

It’s both I believe. Not quite sure where I’d got the notion from that it was voice only.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Soon to get Fibre Broadband (FTTC) – Should i move master socket?’ is closed to new replies.