Viewing 3 posts - 161 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • Soo.. who else is switching from 2×10 back to 3×9 / 3×10??
  • kiwijohn

Meh.
    I’m currently running;
    1×1
    3×8
    1×9
    2×9
    3×9
    2×10
    All good.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s about the ratios you like though, not so much the absolute limits. I found a 44t a bit big, a 32t a bit small, and a 22t no real use at all, so found 28/40 really good! YMMV

I take your point, but you still have to use a wider range cassette, no? So more chain/ slap and bigger jumps. I find that 32 and 11-32 does fine of the time, with the other rings used for the fast and slow bits. So ironically, I probably have to change the front rings less often than if I had a double.

njee20
    Free Member

I take your point, but you still have to use a wider range cassette, no? So more chain/ slap and bigger jumps. I find that 32 and 11-32 does fine of the time, with the other rings used for the fast and slow bits. So ironically, I probably have to change the front rings less often than if I had a double.

Definitely agree, and I would see no point in going to a double. I now use (and prefer) a single, so it’s a bit of a moot point, but when I used a triple (not for 7 years now admittedly) I would be constantly flitting between the middle and the big whilst crossing the cassette.

Never found chain slap and issue, nor bigger jumps, I generally used 11-34 cassettes (with 9 speed), so a ring in the middle seemed to make most sense, with a 28 for steep stuff. I originally just used 32/44, which achieved little, other than making me MTFU on the climbs, then went to 30/42, then decided the 28 would be an idea for a 12 hour solo, and found I preferred the smaller rings.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 161 through 163 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Soo.. who else is switching from 2×10 back to 3×9 / 3×10??’ is closed to new replies.