Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sony RX100 – perfect biking camera?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Currently got a Panasonic LX3 and looking for an upgrade.

Image quality, fast AF and small size is paramount. The RX100 looks perfect?

Any views?

Only downsides I can see is it looks a little hard to use with gloves.

Pieface

Its made by a general electonics company rather than a camera specific company? 🙂

nedrapier

I looked at the Sony and the LX7, ended up with the LX7.

Reviews are +-, depending on who’s doing them. Image quality is similar, quality of the glass on the LX7 countering the larger sensor on the Sony.

Among other things, I liked the controls on the barrel on the LX7, and the lower price.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rik
    Free Member

Very true – and I wouldn’t buy a dSLR from Sony but this a compact.

From what ive read – size of the sensor and zeiss glass blows the LX7 out of the water.

The lx3 is amazing for its time but the lx7 just doesn’t look like its moved on very much.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I hope you don’t buy from a photocopier supplier? 😯

You’ll have a tough time beating the RX100.

AlexSimon

I was looking at this for a while. I considered it one up from the Canon and Panasonic ones (I’ve got an LX3).

Handling was fiddly, but they always take a bit of getting used to, do these compacts.

In the end, I decided I’d rather put the money towards a new DSLR (with video), partner it with the iPhone and miss out the compact all together.

nedrapier

Rik, I did quite a lot of digging around when I bought mine at the beginning of the year, and the impression I got was that it wasn’t that clear cut. (and I don’t remember reading anywhere that the Sony’s glass was better than the LX7’s)

eg: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_LX7/verdict.shtml

Finally, the Cyber-shot RX100 is currently around 40 percent more expensive than the Lumix LX7. While on paper the RX100’s bigger sensor may seem to justify the cost, in practice some of the benefit is reduced due to the slower lens aperture, especially when zoomed-in. And as mentioned above, the RX100 may not always deliver a shallower depth of field in practice. With this in mind, much of the RX100’s genuine benefit boils down to its higher resolution and smaller body. Is it worth paying for these? Only you can decide, but again don’t assume the presence of a bigger sensor means an all-out win over the model with the smaller sensor.

Rik
    Free Member

Don’t think I am convinced as the RX100 sensor is 3x larger plus the lens is fast at the wide end of the zoom that the vast majority of mtb action shots are taken from. Doubt it will be able to compete on Iso and resolution.

PeteT

I bought a new compact camera earlier in the year and spent a while deciding between the LX7 and the RX100. In the end I decided the only real downside to the RX100 was the cost.

One personal drawback to the LX7 was the added depth over the RX100, which makes it a fair bit less pocketable. The RX100 is just about small enough to comfortably fit in my jeans pocket, whereas the LX7 is about a cm deeper and wouldn’t be. I was after a camera to use when I didn’t want to lug my DSLR around, so this was a dealbreaker for me — the last thing I wanted was to have to put my ‘small’ camera in a bag too. The separate lens cap on the LX7 was also faff that I wanted to avoid.

I went with the RX100 and love it – no regrets. In fact it’s so good, I find I use my SLR quite a lot less now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sony RX100 – perfect biking camera?’ is closed to new replies.