Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sony rx 100 mark one camera any good?
  • vondally
    Free Member

So we have a couple of SLR camera s and an aging canon ixus 75 …..Is the older rx any good for general day to day and mountain bike trips?

Anything between in £300 world?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Plenty said about the MK1 and subsequent models if you search the forum.

My quickest review:

Ditched DSLR too heavy
    RX100 arrived (used, mint) £250 from classifieds
    Dinky, slippy, aftermarket grip-helped, fiddly controls
    Took a few pics, eyes popped. Outstanding IQ for form factor. Dynamic range is excellent
    Forget macro, doesn’t do.
    Nice flash-bounce, angled up with thumb
    Low-light pics stunning for a compact zoom
    Big files to edit/transfer. Satisfying cropability.

Developed lens error. Clunk, no click. Fin.
    Bought a (used) Pentax MX-1 – hefty yet much better IMO to use.
    Miss the Sony IQ and portability. Don’t miss the fiddling/possible fragility.

Sample:

(Difficult contre-jour shot just after sunrise, onboard HDR/DROprocessing)

And a square crop of same:

wl
    Free Member

Love my Mk1 – cost around £240 new from John Lewis 1 year back. Amazing image quality for such a tiny camera. Bit fiddly, but very sharp and well-exposed pics. I like it for travel, hiking/camping, biking.

donald
    Free Member

I had the same problem as this.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCp1m4vz4Oc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sony were absolutely useless. When I sent them links to various youtube videos and forum discussions where lots of people reported the same problem the engineer claimed he ‘wasn’t allowed on the internet’. Fix cost £200. I will not buy another Sony camera again. John Lewis were great though and made a contribution towards the cost even though it was out of warranty.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ricoh GR is a much better camera from an IQ and functionality perspective and can be had for around £400 second hand. It only has a 28mm fixed lens though; optically it’s excellent but you need to be comfortable shooting at that length.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a couple of years & think its excellent; no issues at all, easy to carry great photos – not sure how it compares to others but of itself does what you need it to

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sony rx 100 mark one camera any good?’ is closed to new replies.