Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sony phone and Android woe
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Has anyone else with Android had this issue? (and please iPhone users don’t come on and waste time telling how wonderful Appleworld is, I will just ignore you!)

Issue – recent software update v6.0.1 from Android (10 days ago) phone has now crashed twice in 4 days taking it back to a factory reset stage, which is very annoying.
    The thing is the phone is 18months old and is my second Sony Z series, the last one did exactly the same and kept on crashing more frequently toward the end.

Can you take it back to an older version of the software, one which at least
    seemed more reliable?

Is any make of phone or version of Android free from this kind of issue or do I just have to accept this from time to time?

nickjb
    Free Member

It can be hard to find the issue. It may not be a phone or OS issue but a app that doesn’t like the update. You can take a few apps off and see if that helps but if it is really intermittent then that’ll take ages. At least make sure everything is up to date. Phones with closer to stock android seem to have less issues IME (Moto, LG and ‘Nexus’ for example). TBH I’d never have another Sony after the terrible after sales support anyway. One option is a custom rom. Not that hard to flash. Cyanogenmod is the most popular. Can’t say for sure you will have less issues though

lovewookie

I’m hearing mixed reports with Z series and 6.0.1 in my work. My Z3 was on the concept upgrade route and worked spot on, my Z5 I’ve just factory reset as it was buggy.

the Z1’s we have are kinda ok.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No update available for my Z3 compact, still on 5.1.1. Maybe that’s a good thing.

spooky_b329

My Z3 compact is updated to 6.0.1, no issues thankfully as the last big one left it unusable for two weeks.

Sui
    Free Member

yes, Z5 compact here. It over heats like crazy. There is a software that will “clean” your phone, which is good to see what the problems are, but can cause issues itself. I’ve noticed things like Amazon apps, Iplayer, Skype all keep re-starting when they loose and gain data connection (wifi and/or network), this makes me think it’s the power save functions that are causing the issues!!

ITS proper P!55ing me OFF

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Z5 compact here, since the upgrade every time I put headphones in the sound goes through the headphones, through the phone speaker, and repeats for about 10 seconds before pausing or continuing to go through the headphones.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok I now have my phone up and running but the crash has wiped my SD card – all photos and music gone, all text messages, previous call data and whatsapp also gone. Photo’s are backed up but not all the calls and messages. 😡

TPTcruiser

Z5 here, 6.0, no issues. Thank you for beta testing the upgrade to 6.0.1. I will wait until it is fixed. 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

i had a z5 for about 6 weeks… constant charging and crashes plus it overheated . i reckon i had a friday afternoon one, tho after reading this thread i’m not so sure. in the end i sent it back to the shop and went back to an iphone. slightly disappointed as my z1 was fantastic…

gonzy
    Free Member

form experience sony have always been slow to get the updates out onto their phones and even when they do they dont always work properly. it could be as nickjb says that there is an app that doesnt like the update
    i’m pretty sure you’ll find it hard to go backwards as once the phone has its software updated thats pretty much it…however back up all your data and photos etc then carry out a factory reset to see if that does anything
    last time i had a sony phone it did the same…went from honeycomb to ice cream sandwich upgrade after which the phone would slow down or constantly crash.
    also check the memory/RAM as that could also be an issue…the updates usually take up more memory so that will slow the phone down. clear as much necessary data, apps photos and videos as possible

DickBarton

I had similarity an update to my previous z2…the fix was a factory restore and then install the update, download all my apps again and then restored my backed up data (which didn’t include the apps). Took about 5 hours in total and needed done in total but it worked perfectly after that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sony phone and Android woe’ is closed to new replies.