Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sony Nex-5 – Perfect mtb camera?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Currently got a panasonic lx3 for use on the bike. I’ve achieved some amazing photos from the fast lens. I think it is just about the best compact for mtb use esp. with the wide angle 24mm.

But due to the small sensor it still struggles with low light with the images sometimes quite noisy. Also I’ve been biving quite a bit recently. Last month I awoke to a beautiful cloud inversion in the hope valley. I wished I had my Dslr as the lx3 photos on long exposure are not a patch on a proper Dslr. But carrying a full size Dslr is just not an option too heavy and cumbersome by far. I know some people do but just not an option for the type of riding I do.

Thinking of selling the Lx3 and getting a Sony nex-5. The 16mm seems ideal mtb lens and reasonably fast and great for landscapes too. Plus the kit zoom makes it a great everyday camera to. I was amazed by the size of the case you can hold it all in too!

Any experiences or views?

_tom_
    Free Member

Not used the Nex5 but I have used a Panasonic GF1 and it feels like a great compromise. They’re quite expensive compared to a proper DSLR though (£100 less than a 550D for example) but seems like it may be worth it.

Rik
    Free Member

The nex-5 is no bigger than the lx3 with the 16mm lens. I was amazed with it fitted in the same case I use.

_tom_
    Free Member

Interesting, might have to look into that! I really want a decent camera again but dunno if I fancy “lugging” a dslr around, would mean getting a new bag for biking as well as mine has barely enough room for my wallet and keys when its full!

7hz
    Free Member

Look into the Panasonic / Olympus Micro Four Thirds stuff – smaller lenses than the Sony and getting to be quite a well supported system, plus the Panny GH1 and upcoming GH2 double as very highly regarded video cameras as well (best out of all DSLR type cameras).

_tom_
    Free Member

I would’ve thought something like the 5D mkII is better than a micro 4/3 such as the GH1/2? Was used on the last episode of House S6 with some very pricey canon lenses and it looks amazing.

Rik
    Free Member

The main reason that I think the nex-5 pulls away from the other micro-Dslr systems is size (it really is a LOT smaller body) but even more so is the 16mm prime (24mm equiv in old money) @ f2.8. That is an awesome combo for biking shots. Esp. Seeing the size of the lens. Also has the option for 19mm equiv and fisheye add ons for not much money-not sure of the quality of these add ons but very interesting idea.

Micro four thirds will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to wide angle.

Rik
    Free Member

Any other views or experiences?

spacecadett
    Free Member

I have a NEX-5. I bought it with both the zoom and pancake lenses and I am very happy with it. The main reason I am so happy is that I use it so often. It’s small size is certainly a big advantage over others (and the main reason I didn’t go for a DLSR).

I am not a brilliant photographer and wanted a good camera for biking & every day use and have had decent results.

The only drawback of the camera that I have come across so far is the lack of a viewfinder. It can sometimes be difficult, especially in bright light, to be certain that your subject, and not something else in the picture, is in focus – especially when using the pancake lens with a narrow depth of field. An additional viewfinder can be bought but it is an extra £150 or so.

The camera really stands out when taking shots in low light, the larger format sensor really helps.

The NEX-5 also shoots full HD video and is very, very good. The sound on video is ok too.

Hope this helps.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve only had a brief play with one (and own a GF1) and the thing that puts me off is that almost all the controls are buried in faffy on screen menus. Making changing shutter/ISO/aperture a pain.

But if you want to mostly use it in point and shoot mode then the IQ is excellent, and it is very small with the prime on. Stick a zoom on it and it’s not very small any more though.

WIth a bigger sensor the NEX is going to be better in low light, though having the fast 1.7 lens on the GF1 pretty much negates that.

Rik – there is a 12mm Olympus prime coming out for M4/3 (24mm equivalent) – and a TINY Panasonic 14mm 2.5 pancake.

Rik
    Free Member

Cheers for this spacecadet.

Rik
    Free Member

Grim – that is very interesting about the wide angle lens. Do you know if either of these will be pro or standard spec lens. Micro four thirds (and four thirds) I’ve noticed seem to have a habit of releasing as wide lens as very expensive pro or near pro spec. Which puts them out of reach.

grumm
    Free Member

I think the Pana 14mm lens is going to be similar in price to the 20mm 1.7, which is around £260 – not sure about the olympus.

mrplow
    Free Member

Nex gets a firmware update next month that will sort the menu issue making it into a smart litle camera.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_nex_firmware_update.shtml

I would take mine out today to take some shots but it looks like rain. This may be the main reason why a NEX/GF etc are not the best…

Rik
    Free Member

I had heard that about all the contols being hidden deep within the menu on the Sony, which is def a pain as I would never use it in auto, but I had also heard that the whole menu system was getting changed in the next firmware update because of this being a problem.

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks mr plow

JPcapel
    Free Member

I have the Panasonic GF1 plus 20mm pancake & the zoom lens 14-45mm.

Friend has Sony Nex5 with similar set up 16mm pancake and their zoom lens.

The GF1 is far easier to use and is nicer made (IMHO), having seen some of my friends photos having got his Sony a week ago, the Panasonic appears superior.

I have actually sold my DSLR on the back of loving the GF1 so much. Its HD video is stunning – actually better than my Canon DSLR which had HD filming as an option.
    Its the size, espically when fitted with the pancake lens, that gets you taking your camera out more often – including on rides!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sony Nex-5 – Perfect mtb camera?’ is closed to new replies.