Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sony MDR-1R or Audio Technica ATH-M50x
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

After some new headphones for home listening and long plane rides.

I’ve been recommended both the above and can’t decide between the two.

Any thoughts or others I should consider?

Must be over ear. That’s my only need.

Budget is around £130 which puts both in budget.

somafunk

They both get really good write ups so choosing between the two would be a case of trying each and deciding on the sound signature/comfort levels.

From a personal perspective i’ve always favoured Sennheiser HD-25’s and in the last 6 months i bought myself a pair of their uprated HD-25’s called the Amperior, it’s similar in style to the HD-25’s but the ear cups are milled aluminium and the cable is different along with specifically tuned drivers in the ear cups. They offer excellent isolation from outside noise and the sound is quality is up there with the best, you’d have to spend serious money to better them – I use them straight out of my iPhone 5s and out of my macbook with a dragonfly dac, or at home out of my Audio Kontrol audio interface.

For years i’ve had a bad habit of headphone geekery but i’ve pretty much only listened to my Amperiors since i bought them to the extent that i’ve sold 3 pairs of my other headphones recently as i never used them, B&W P3’s, Grado SR 325, Sennheiser HD-25 mk11.

The Amperiors sometimes come up under £150 so it may be worth a look but any of your two choices will sound good.

TheFlyingOx

Not tried the Sonys, but I have the ATs. Excellent quality, pretty good noise cancellingness, excellent sound although occasionally a little bit too flat, but that’s easy sorted with a little EQ tweaking.

Plus, I think you can get them for well under £100 if you shop around.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oooooh Flying Ox if I an get the ATH M50x for under £100 I’ll snap them up. I can find the 50’s but not the updated 50x for under £100.

I really like the comfort of the Sony as it’s over the ear.

Thanks for the input so far.

bigblackshed

I’ve got the ATH-M50. They are flat sounding, but that’s not a bad thing. They give an accurate sound stage to pretty much all types of music. I’ve used them for home listening as well as studio and live mixing. If they can cut through a rock band in full flight they will be more than adequate for plane use. Very good value at under £100.

UNDER £100 HERE

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Bigblackshed they’re not the x model.

The ebay ones come from Australia, to be honest I’d rather buy from the UK.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’ve got these for work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR10RBT-Wireless-Headphones-Bluetooth-Black/dp/B00F0CQJQW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1405016483&sr=8-7&keywords=sony+bluetooth+headphones

absolutely awesome headphones. Need to wear them all day and they’re so comfortable.

Sadly I paid 170, now 130

TheFlyingOx

Is a detachable cable really worth the extra cash?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I thought the sound had been tweaked too?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Still can’t decide. Seems I can’t get the x model but the only difference is a detachable cable.

Both are around £93.

Hmmmmmm

jonjones262
    Free Member

Cordless is great. I have to wear headphones for work (to hear the audio I’m animating). So many times I’ll wheel over the cable and pull it out of the socket – knackering them.

These are great. Last for ages and you don’t need to take them off to go to the bog

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. Found a bargain set of Sony MDR-1 so went with those.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sony MDR-1R or Audio Technica ATH-M50x’ is closed to new replies.