Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sony Experia phone users opinions?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

as title i am currently looking at new phones , how does the above stack up against say Iphone/Galaxy S2 or 3 etc?

bigbloke
    Free Member

bump for the work crowd.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

There are a few. I assume you mean the Xperia S. It’s decent hardware, great screen, great camera and Sonys launcher that they use on Android is actually rather snazzy and nicer than Samsungs in my opinion.
    Being Android its easy to change launchers anyway.

Spec wise there are some subtle differences. The Xperia S has a slightly faster processor than the S2. Xperia S doesn’t have a removable battery or micro sd support which for me would be deal breakers.

Xperia S is still only running Gingerbread but Ice Cream Sandwich is coming in a couple of months.

As for the S3, spec wise its better than both and would be my go to handset if cost was not an issue or size. Its rather large.

As for Android vs iOS. Another discussion altogether but I prefer Android.

I use the a Galaxy S2 and decide to keep it than moving the the Xperia S. Not decided about getting the S3 yet (purely because of its size).

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had two Xperias so far. The original X10i and the Arc. Both still going strong. I’ve got ICS on my ARC and it runs fine.
    In general they work well, cameras usually good and the UI is good too. I’ll be getting another one (don’t know which one) when it comes to upgrade time next year.

Trekster

Weirdnumber…. That is a whole different language there…!!
    Quick question re using the likes of endomondo/starva type apps. How much download / usage time do I need.(sorry bit green on tetchy stuff) New phone time and only have a cheap tariff and no idea what is needed to use these apps 😳 I only have a mobile for personal/emergency use and no need for anything fancy 🙄

hora
    Free Member

How good is the Sony for web browsing? I find the Samsung S2 quite clunky (especially when viewing STW)- it seems to think, pause, scrolling…slow.

Pezzers
    Free Member

My wife has one
    Screen is great
    Camera is great

Vs my old I-phone 3s I would say the experia edges it

Vs new i-phone 4s for me the i-phone is the winner

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’ve got an Xperia Ray which is smaller the average slab and think it’s great. It’s the only Android phone I’ve had though so don’t have much to compare it to other than to say it does everything I want it to and has been reliable and hasn’t annoyed me.

If you’re buying now I would consider waiting for the Xperia Go which will be released in Q3 – main advantage being it’s waterproof.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

@hora both work very well. I have not had any issues with any of the S2s that I have used when it comes to web browsing. The original Galaxy S and the Galaxy Tab had poor laggy browsers but on the more recent devices it hasn’t been an issue.

@Trekster As far as I know Strava doesn’t use any data as it just logs GPS data. Endomondo does I suppose but I don’t know how much (probably not a great deal). Other apps are available that can download mapping data for offline usage and then they don’t consume any data. Honestly I have never paid that any attention as I have a staff plan for a major network and so don’t need to pay any attention to usage 😳
    Realistically I would be looking at a plan that offers 500mb of data per month minimum if you have access to WiFi at home. More if you fully intend to buy into the smart phone lifestyle and will be spending lots of time using the device. Significantly more again if you don’t have WiFi.

If you are on a cheap plan then the Xperia U might be worth looking at. It’s a small phone but has a fantastic spec and is available for £15 – £20 a month. If you want a top handset then the HTC One S and X, Galaxy S2/3, Xperia S and iPhone 4s are the handsets to look at. In my opinion any of them are fantastic handsets. My personal choice would be a One S or Galaxy S2. The One S feels fantastic in the hand and I have lived with a Galaxy S2 since it launched and really enjoyed using it. The One X and Galaxy S3 are the top spec handsets, boasting quad core processors but are both very big which puts me off. Between them I think the S3 is much nicer though.
    The Galaxy range are the only ones that have a removable battery and micro SD support which for me personally is a major boon if its being taken on long days out, and being able to back up things to a removable card is an absolute must in case your phone dies one day.

Spec wise the top Android phones are very similar and offer the same core features and have access to the same third party applications. What typically varies between them is first party apps that generally don’t get used as well as a handful of features which are seldom life changing (camera modes for example, or social media integration). Mostly it comes down to the look and feel of both the hardware and the software which is a completely personal choice.

I don’t actually tend to take my S2 out on rides and usually take an Xperia Neo V. If it gets wet or damaged or lost I’m not fussed as it’s not my personal phone with too much of my life saved to it.

Drac

Been looking at new phones today for the Mrs. Looked at most of the top spec ones, the S3 was a monstrosity of cheap looking plastic and way too big had no real appeal.

So ended up with an iPhone 4S, makes sense anyway with me owning one and iPad in the house it means they all work together.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

I currently have a basic Blackberry which ends soon on contract.

I have had the S3 on Pre Order for 5 weeks in Blue Pebble finish but have been let down due to stock levels with an indefinite wait ahead.However i have been thinking about my needs and my concern over “big” phone sizes and am beginning to change my mind.

I like phones iPhone sized i have realised. So guess its IPhone / Sony Experia S on size front. I dont actually know much about the Sony though but on previous experience of Sony Ericsson efforts i wasnt overly impressd.

Bez

I have an Xperia Active. Thus far I’ve used it more as a GPS tool than a phone, but I like it. It’s waterproof, has a dedicated camera button, generally just works. Nothing especially untoward with the flavour of Android that’s on it, nor anything especially awe-inspiring (personally I like Android and prefer it to iOS by a long way, YMMV). The small screen isn’t ideal for web browsing or typing, but it gets by.

My sole frustration, which is probably a minor one in the scheme of things but is applicable to all Xperia phones, is that it comes with some software preinstalled, most of which is useless bollocks and can’t be uninstalled. Quite why Sony thinks I need a UEFA.com app or won’t let me get rid of it I’ve no idea, but then I suppose every phone forces me to have a Facebook app that I equally have no use for.

I’d certainly consider an Xperia to replace my Desire when I get fed up with it (or when HTC Mail finally consumes every last bit of storage space on the phone).

onehundredthidiot

Got the experia S. Much better than Samsung S i’ve got rid of. Good for Starva and the likes very slick and nice to hold. Software upgrade coming soon (Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich) which will apparently make it even better.
    Can stream and watch SKY sports on it and www browsing is slick.

hora
    Free Member

So last night I spent over two hours in Apple, Carphonewarehouse and 3shop playing on live models.

The apple is soooooo tactile. It just feels ‘right’ in your hand. Side by side the apple3 is waay slower to load STW forum compared to the 4S.

The screen though is too small. If I ran a IPad I’d have one.

I sooo wanted to like the Experia but its counter-intuitive in some of its commands. Similar to the Nokia N8. I want to send a text. Why can’t I do it ASAP?! Screen etc etc were LOVELY. Browser- looks just right. Yet it does remind you of a plasma TV and the three touch buttons at the bottom sometimes took two tries before they worked.

The S3 was great. Alot better than some of the awkwardness of the S2 IMO. The S2’s functions are slightly clunky – i.e. the internet speed etc.

The HTC One S- I found myself using that to look up the reviews of the others. It just felt. Right but its such an ugly cheap looking phone. FFS. Same with the S3

So I’d have the Iphone 4S IF it had a slightly bigger screen..

Or the One S if it had better quality materials.

FFS!

Bez

It takes me two taps to start typing a text on the Xperia, how ASAP do you need?

hora
    Free Member

How do you do? I was trying to figure.

My old Blackberry took a simple left lean on the navi button to create a txt 🙁

jam-bo

You thought iPhones were the devils work last week.

hora
    Free Member

Mey I am a product of the MTV’s generation. 😆

Why can’t apple make/made the iphone just abit bigger? It compromising browsing.

I wonder how big the iphone5 will be.

Bez

Tap on the messaging app shortcut, tap on ‘new message’. Not that much to figure 🙂

Clong
    Free Member

Its a good phone overall, but with one frustration. The battery life can be very poor with a software update appears to fix it. This update only appears to be available to a select few on branded models. Generic uk units are still 2 or 3 updates behind. No one knows why.

That aside, one thing i find useful is that it will connect to Garmin heart rate monitors etc via ANT+

As for the texting thing, its very easy to configure it how you want to. With NFC stuff, it will send a predefined just by touching teh phone to the tag.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sony Experia phone users opinions?’ is closed to new replies.