Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sonos
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused with exactly what I want to get with the Sonos music system. I’m hoping to stream music from my Ipad into the living room, kitchen and two bedrooms. What do need to get exactly? Any help would be much appreciated! Thnks. Ed

frogstomp

All you need is a Sonos bridge to connect to your normal WiFi router (included with some speakers) and then your choice of Play speakers.

Then all you do is run the Sonos app on your iPad et voilà!

tinybits
    Free Member

You need either a sonos 1,3,5 or soundbar in each room, and either be able to hard wire into your wireless hub, or buy a link as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warton
    Free Member

it’s great by the way. someone has just mentioned an album on facebook. 30 seconds later I’m listening to it via spotify in my living room, and will turn it on in the kitchen in 5 mins when i go to do the dishes…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

If you can wire one of the main players into the network you don’t need a bridge. Just one unit hard wired, then it creates its own WiFi network. A bridge is sometimes more convenient.

If you have an existing stereo there’s also the Connect or Amp to use speakers.

It will play content off a device but so much more – stream off the internet or from a Nas or network computer then you can turn your iPad off or someone else can take control.

Sonos is excellent. Not cheap but very simple and a pleasure to use.

Pieface

I had a quick look and the expense and my music habits quickly ruled it out. A couple of DAB radio’s in each room would be much better VFM. IMO the expense massively outweighs the slight incovenience of having a CD player in each room and moving a CD between rooms.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

A quick look at the Sonos site seems to show you need an Airport Express to make the most of the multi room from your iPad, as well as a Sonos player with line in (Play 5, Connect, Amp)

http://www.sonos.com/airplay/

I replaced my airports with Sonos and it’s a big improvement. Do you have to stream from the iPad itself? If so then airplay speakers might be easier, or cut out the middle man and just use your iPad as a remote and stream music from a network device or internet source to any Sonos players you add to your system.

MrFannay
    Free Member

Re-woken my love of music!

I put off for ages getting Sonos as I love my ancient separate HiFi set-up. I bit the bullet in January and bought a Play1 speaker for the kitchen with a free bridge (£169), and a connect box (£269) to make my old hifi separates into a wireless system. You have to subscribe to the premium Spotify £9.99/mth to get the best out of it which was putting me off until the missus reminded me I usually spend £30/mth on CD’s I listen to once or twice!

The best bit is, we have regular ‘spotify party’ nights with fam/friends where we have a couple of tablets & phones with the Sonos app running and the rule is you pick a tune to add to the playing queue then pass it on….. great fun, you wouldn’t believe some of the shite people pick!

… Oh, and it also recognises all the music stored on 2 laptops, awesome bit of kit

ask1974
    Free Member

I had a quick look and the expense and my music habits quickly ruled it out. A couple of DAB radio’s in each room would be much better VFM. IMO the expense massively outweighs the slight incovenience of having a CD player in each room and moving a CD between rooms.

What is that quote from the Matrix?

“Ignorance is bliss”

Really you should try it. If you like music, you’ll love Sonos.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

A quick look at the Sonos site seems to show you need an Airport Express to make the most of the multi room from your iPad, as well as a Sonos player with line in (Play 5, Connect, Amp)

I just have the sonos app on my iPad. I much prefer it because of the ability to que music.

I also have an airplay speaker, which I now don’t use because sonos is hands down better

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sonos’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts