Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • sonos 1 . any good?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I only ever listen to my music on google play or deezer so sonos seems a good option. Is the 1 any good. I guess i could get to later down the line or is the 3 or 5 that much better. As the 5 is same price as two 1s

Cheers

Pook

Yes. Very good.

just5minutes
    Free Member

great unless you want to listen to bbc radio streams – they cut out every hour or so and never reconnect. It’s a known issue that Sonos and TuneIn are both saying it’s the others fault.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Go to a shop and have a listen. You can set two 1s up as a stereo pair so maybe a better choice than a single 5 but if you want line in the 1s don’t have that.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve got 2x 1’s, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom, also got a 3 in the living room. The 1s are great, if I was buying again I’d have just gone for 1’s all round to be honest, while the 3 is undoubtedly better I’d say the 1 punches way above its weight and offers better value overall than the 3.
    I’d say especially as you are not wanting to stream audiophile quality stuff then a 1 will do the job, unless perhaps you have a tendency for tracks with heavy bass, where it can sometimes become a little overwhelmed at higher volume.

The main downside I’ve found with my Sonos all round is the lack of stereo moving from twin to single speakers, but this can be solved with 2x 1’s together, something I may do in the future.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

great unless you want to listen to bbc radio streams – they cut out every hour or so and never reconnect. It’s a known issue that Sonos and TuneIn are both saying it’s the others fault.

Interesting….
    Have you noticed it happening more recently? I must admit up until 2-3 months ago I’d never had an issue but it’s pretty regular at the moment. I had just assumed that it was related to ditching the Connect unit and going straight off the Wifi network, but come to think of it the issue has never shown itself on anything other than BBC streams.

jimmy

Yes they’re good.

Yes about the bbc thing. Just did it tonight actually – I assumed it was our Sony broadband.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Not sonos but I’ve just bought a couple of Pure Jongos because I’m a bit tight and couldn’t stretch to the Sonos setup. I’ve got a t4x for the kitchen and s3x as a mobile one for the garden etc.
    I’ve not used the the 4 yet as I’m not at home but I’m using the 3 and I’m pretty pleased so far, just an alternative to have a look at.

wooobob

We have a 1,and it is excellent. Sounds good, the controller app is straightforward, it’s unobtrusive, and well worth the money. Spotify and Google play work very well with it, and Tune In is good (I ditched it as a radio player in its own right as it had got so complicated, but it’s easy on the sonos). I’m toying with the idea of a second one for stereo. Haven’t noticed the BBC problem either yet.

Tinners

Jury’s out for me. I run mine from Apple devices. The main issue is that it frequently drops out (every 20 mins or so) where it fails to connect, irrespective of iOS device used and despite going through the relatively simple connect process to pair (if that’s the right word) the devices. Often it won’t connect at all. I’m not sure whether it’s a Sonos, Apple or WiFi issue, but a pain all the same. Another pain is that it won’t play any of my iTunes library on the cloud only what’s actually downloaded on the iOS device. As a result, I use it mainly for Spotify, but again the Spotify via the Sonos app isn’t as good as the Spotify app. Sound quality is good but not up to audiophile standards (no problem for me in the locations where the Sonos units are located). Also handy to locate it out of sight (some of ours above units at ceiling level and fills the room nicely with sound). I would stress that some of these things may not be Sonos specific and I’m a tech numpty, so bear in mind that I may be making basic errors as I never RTFM. The frequent failure to connect thing would have stopped me getting it, had I known. It may work better with non Apple stuff, I don’t know, so others may be able to guide you there.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Amongst other kit I have a 1 and a 5 – the one is excellent and better value for money, I will go for a pair when possible.

The 1 gets great reviews from HiFi tests and is very surprising for its size.

We often stream 6Music all day and no issues so far.

For those with dropouts call Sonos support, the built in diagnostics are great and forums report they are very helpful.

If you go to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review where x.x.x.x is the IP address of one of your components you get a good overview of what is going on.

just5minutes
    Free Member

thanks Gravity Slave – Sonos have confirmed it’s a known problem though so nowt to be done on the home setup. For some reason they can’t build software that reconnects to a stream automatically even though everyone else has managed it for years.

winrya
    Free Member

I have a 1,3 and 5 and the 1 is certainly the best value for money. If buying again I’d not bother with the 3. The 1 sounds pretty much as good so the 3 doesn’t justify the extra cost. The 5 is noticeably better. Playbar and sub are the next level

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers all

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Sorry, yup, had heard about the stream issue but it’s not affecting me.

The link I posted was more for Tinners and others with network connectivity issues – the matrix map is useful for checking and setting up, sometimes moving a speaker can increase the signal strength – or buy some more components to reinforce the mesh 😉

stumpy01

Brother in law has got the 1 in the kitchen and the 3 in the living room.

The 1 is pretty impressive for its size.

I’ve been looking at the Pure Jongo range. More connectivity options than the Sonos, cheaper and no real drawbacks as far as I can tell.

easygirl

Sonos great
    Never had the bbc problem
    Listen to radio 2 most of the day, and might drop out twice a month, or less

DT78
    Free Member

yep, have a 5 and a 1. Both great. Depends on the size of the room. Our 5 is good enough for the whole of downstairs (victorian terrace) 1 is good enough for a single room, and is loud enough to listen on 50% volume whilst turboing

Tinners

Thanks, gravity-slave. Will try that.

wilburt
    Free Member

5 and a Soundbar here, I’ve tried a 1 in the shop and my dentist has a pair playing music whilst he does his stuff, they sound great.

That said my love of all thing Sonos is waning at the moment, sometimes it just seems like a faff despite all the effort that’s obviously gone into making it simple. The Soundbar for instance is great, it looks after its self no separate remote required etc but as an example tonight I’ve just sat down a few minutes ago from work and looking after my wife who’s not well at the moment, thought I would listen to some music so press the tunein app, find the station I want after searching because it’s forgotten my faves, press play and the music belts out through chrome cast in the bedroom my wife’s sleeping in. Fix that say sorry etc go through the same search within tunein within Sonos and finally get the radio on!

My fault entirely but I’m not sure I want to think too much about my music, just press play.

wilburt
    Free Member

Fancy a Ruark system instead of maybe a Denon Micro and a couple of nice speakers.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well went to shop and had a listen i was a little underwhelmed tbh in the massive shop but bought one play 1 as figured i could return it once tried ar home.

Im very impressed once set up at home. I may well buy another one but i tend to only listen to music in the kitchen so we’ll see. Cheers all

One thing i noticed. Using google play it worked fine but if i link my giogle account to sonos app it no longer works and is only avail via sonos app. No biggi as ive reset it as i prefer using via google app im used to but just a bit strange

willyboy
    Free Member

We went for a Pure Jongo instead. Seems great so far.

stumpy01

willyboy – Member

We went for a Pure Jongo instead. Seems great so far.

What size did you go for? And what size room are you using it in? I’m thinking of the T2X for the bedroom and eventually one for the kitchen too, although saw one a couple of weeks ago in the flesh and it was smaller than I thought it was going to be. The T4X looked like a decent size, but perhaps overkill for what we’d be using it for….

willyboy
    Free Member

T2X. It’s in a living room/ dining room. Probably about 12 x 26 feet. We don’t have it very loud as the neighbours are church mice/teachers, but I’d recommend it for ease of use. I just run it off my phone or our tablet. We didn’t want a separate NAS. For the price I think they’re hard to beat.

firestarter
    Free Member

I nearly bought a pack of 2 pure jongo t4x as they had a twin pack in costco but tbh i wasnt really impressed with the sound

stumpy01

Cheers. Should really try and get a listen to one…

firestarter
    Free Member

That said i only listened to the jongo in a big warehouse too and not next to the sonos so hard to directly compare. I should have bought both tested them and returned the one i didnt like

But tbh the sonos 1 is brilliant so happy with my choice in the end.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I think john Lewis stock sonos and Jongo they often have listening rooms too, if you’ve got one near by maybe try them. My wife picked our pair up this week and got £20 off one of them too, with my works Christmas £50JL voucher they were a right bargain 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The Sonos 1 is very very good. The only downside is you’re limited to the Sonos app, which thankfully is also very very good.

I’m after another 1 and a 5 if ever I get a spare £500 burning a hole in my pocket!

stumpy01

29erKeith, yeah we’ve got a John Lewis nearby. I saw them in their the other week.
    Just need to persuade the Wife that it’s an essential purchase!

Oh, and hope you are doing OK…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘sonos 1 . any good?’ is closed to new replies.