Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Songs that could have been written yesterday (but weren't)
  • DezB
    Free Member

ok

CountZero

You clearly have no idea what is down with the kids these days. Its certainly not the Stranglers, Thin Lizzy or the Stereo MC’s!

Really? Then how come I regularly see teenagers wearing Thin Lizzy, Ramones and Led Zeppelin tee shirts?
    Do you go to see live bands? The likes of The Smoke Fairies, The Joy Formidable, Cerys Matthews, Howling Bells, attract loads of teenagers, as well as people like me, in their 50’s, who still find more quality music around every day than they can afford to buy. So far recently I’ve got Mechanical Bride’s new album, new album and EP by Gemma Hayes, and new albums by The Dears, Wye Oak, Cerys Matthews, Kate Bush, The Submarines, Foo Fighters, Anna Calvi, Emmylou Harris, and there’s still Likki Li’s album, and Emmy The Great, Paul Simon and The Pierces albums to get. I’d bet that there would be very significant numbers of audience members under twenty at most of those gigs.
    I’m sure that lots of teens and early twenties will be surrounding me in Hyde Park on the 30th for The Vaccines, Beirut, Mumford and Son and Arcade Fire. Just because some middle age bloke at the BBC thinks that Radio One is representative of the only music teenagers listen to doesn’t make it a fact; my experience at actual gigs proves that.

fontmoss
    Free Member

mmm joy formidable, wye oak and the vaccines, might put them on now although reminds me need to get wye oak album 🙁

I think there are a few Queen tracks that would sound new/fresh now

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Boom Town Rats…… “Tell me why, I don’t like Mondays.”

Today’s Tuesday isn’t it?

theotherjonv

I was in the lab at work the other day when ‘Love will tear us apart’ came on and I told the students / youngsters that work in there to be quiet and listen as it was one of the best songs ever.

Half of them didn’t even know who it was…… there’s surely no way that song is 30+ years old?

slimtubing
    Free Member

Being Boiled -Human league
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a1tgI5QS6s[/video]
    Gold -spandau Ballet
    Fools Gold-Roses

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

*1 for fools gold by the stone roses

brick
    Free Member

Oscillations by The Silver Apples. Unbelievably released in the 1960’s.

failedengineer

I agree with ‘who knows where the time goes’ just listened to it yesterday as it happens. Still one of the most beautiful songs ever written, IMHO.

What about ‘All or nothing’? No1 in 1966, still would make a fab pop song.

Virtually all of Joni Mitchell’s songs still stand up today, as do Leonard Cohen’s.

woody2000

The entire “3 Feet High And Rising” album by De La Soul, 22 years old and still f**kin ace

yossarian
    Free Member

new order – blue monday
    stone roses – fool’s gold
    joy division – atmosphere

joolsburger
    Free Member

One in ten – UB40

Pretty much anything off the first three The The albums.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Songs that could have been written yesterday (but weren't)’ is closed to new replies.