• This topic has 36 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • son leaving home, mixed emotions.
  • ton

my son is leaving home on sunday, for life in the armed forces.
    i am proud as punch that he has decided to do this, and i hope all goes fantastic for him obviously…..but, i am a bit down and sad about it.
    he has been my work mate since he was 16, and my riding pal since i talked the wife into letting me take him out when he was 8 month old.
    done some big rides with him over the years…..100k merida when he was 13, big days in the alps and all (ever single one) of the scottish trail centers.
    just hope he will still fancy a spin with his old man in future years.
    gonna miss him like hell…… 🙁

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I feel for you Ton – dreading the day when my kids leave home

khani
    Free Member

It’ll probley make your relationship stronger, chin up..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andy3809
    Free Member

Chin up mate

I joined at 17 and spent the best 8 years of my life in the army engineers.

Best thing is he’ll get plenty of leave. Bad bit for you is you better get training as he’ll come back fit as a butchers dog!

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Never forget my first day of basic training, unpacked to find a letter from my Dad telling me how much I meant to him. It just re-inforced a bond that I didnt believe could be any stronger.

Miss him like hell!

My lad wants to do the same..

Won’t be long until you will be standing at the parade ground with the biggest grin on your face watching his passing out.. 😀

Dogsby

Ton,

Make sure he joins the Army Cycling Union as there are great opportunities for MTB and Road training camps and sports tours.

Dogsby

passtherizla
    Free Member

Thats beautiful ton… I know my dad misses me like mad.

We used to do big climbing trips (all over the world) and live aboard diving trips up until I left home… then they carried on, On a less regular basis. I have been happily doing stuff with my dad all my life I’ll be 33 in April. Love him to bits.

He’s currently talking me into doing my Bike license so we can this thing in the Pyrenees together.

He’ll be back, you wait and see 😉

tacopowell
    Free Member

My brother-in-law and a one of my best mates are in the Navy and Army, retrospectivaly and both relish leave to get on their bikes, what’s more although my friend suffers from post traumatic disorder he is still the great fun loving guy he always was.
    Yeah you won’t see him all the time but I can almost guarantee that the time you do spend together will be much better and your relationship will grow stronger.

bowie278
    Free Member

Chin up Ton, it’s part and parcel of him growing up and is just another chapter in his (and your) life. Just remember that you’re dead proud of him for what he’s doing. And there’s not a chance of him forgetting those rides because he’ll miss them just as much as you do, if not more as he’s away from home.

fasthaggis

Don’t worry Ton ,it’s all just part of you being a good dad.
    When kids know that you will always be there for them ,it gives them the back up, to go out and grab life.
    He will be fine.
    Good luck to him.
    My oldest is heading off soon,it is both weird and great at the same time,but I now can’t listen to Elbow’s ‘Open arms for broken hearts’ without welling up 😀

lowey

*Manhug*

Chin up big fella. You’ve done a great job. Its not an ending, its just the start of the next chapter.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Got 2 teenage boys so I guess I’ve got it coming too.
    I keep thinking how empty the house will feel without the buzz of them being around and it does not look like fun so I can empathise with what you must be feeling.
    The only consolation is that he has done all of those brilliant things with you, it sounds like you have stayed mates throughout his teenage years and that says a lot about you, many relationships hit the rocks at that point.
    It sounds like you’ve done a great job Ton – be proud but it’s ok to miss him.

beaker

Sounds like you’ve been a top dad! Wait until you get to see him pass out from basic training, its a very special day. He’ll still need his old man for a while yet… oh and +1 for joining the Army Cycling Union.

parkesie
    Free Member

Another +1 for the acu and get onto a trail cycle leader course and bingo you can get paid to ride your bike and take groups of squadies out adventure drinking on bikes.

Sandwich

I can concur that it’s a bit of a wrench seeing your son leave home. We talk most weeks by phone and as long as I private message on Facebook we’re cool. Posting on his wall is verboten!!
    You’re quite close so I expect he’s excited and also going to be a bit homesick for a while.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just have another one?

njee20
    Free Member

Not in the forces, but I enjoy spending time and doing things (including riding) with my parents even more since I moved out (and we always got on before). Because someone has to make the effort you appreciate the time more, you’re not just spending time with each other because they’re there. You’ll be reet.

ton

just got back from dropping him at the station.
    boy that was hard…mrs and daughter were in bits. lad seemed pretty chipper tho.

yunki
    Free Member

bit dusty in here this morning.. 😳

flap_jack
    Free Member

He’s going to a great career and you’ve a great relationship. Congratulate yourself (and your Mrs) on a JOB WELL DONE 😀

easygirl

We really struggled for a few weeks when our 2 left home, but for us after about a month having the house to ourselves was fantastic.
    I’m sure you will get used to it, and in a while will value your new found freedom 🙂

Bregante

Ton, I know exactly how you feel. I dropped my 17year old off at army foundation college last Sunday.

Got this phone pic off him the other night. 🙂

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

Missing him like mad 😐

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Can’t offer anything as I have never waved goodbye to an offspring.
    What I can tell you is that he is likely to make the best mates he will ever have. Have experiences that will stay with him for the rest of his life.

If I had my time again I would still do it.

Alpha1653

Ton,

Where’s he going and when does he start? If it’s Pirbright, feel free to ask any questions you want – I’m an instructor there.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Amazing pal , sounds like you did a proper job at being a dad
    Me and my dad were as close as you and your son are. Not many like you out there, you should be very proud of your self.

takisawa2

Good on the lad.
    And good on you for sharing your feelings mate.
    I’m going to be gutted when I’m in the same position.

Two lads here. Only 5 & 7 so few years to go, but if current play acting pans out into a career path the eldest is all set for a career as a Firefighting Paramedic, while the youngest juggles his frontline Army duties with Farming, Cave Rescue, street fighting, kung-fu & baking.

33tango

Good on him for knowing what he wants to do at 16! It must be tough watching him go but the Army can offer lots of opportunities for him. Chin up Bud 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Aww Ton – not easy is it, but they don’t half make you proud! Haven’t seen my youngest since August last year (barring Skype – fair play to him, he’s great at keeping in touch with his old mama). Roll on next weekend . . . can’t flinkin’ wait!!!! 😛 . My eldest lad graduates this summer – gonna be a special day in the ‘dirt’ household 😀

anokdale
    Free Member

Ton, My dad dropped me off at Leeds station almost 30 yrs ago when i joined up, best 22 yrs of my life mate. My lad does not look like Army material and i wont push him but i would be proud if he took the Queens shilling.

He will be fine and like the lad above says he will come back as fit as a butchers dog and beast you big time.

My best wishes to you both. (Hope he is not going to Pirbright) 😉

ton

thanks for the kind words all…………one thing id for sure…the food bill will half
    i am making dinner for 2 plus the teenage daughter, about half as much as normal. 😆

ton

Alpha, he is going to Cattrick, with the yorkshire infantry, and then hopefully, he want to go to P company.

Russ, glad your lad decided what to do..nice one…. 8)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Good man Tony… My mum and dad did the same for me on March 30th 1991..

Loved it.

anokdale
    Free Member

Top fella going for P Company … only way to go mate.

Alpha1653

Good luck to him. Yorkshire Regiment? Know which Battalion yet? Chances are I’ll either know his Pl Comd up in Catterick or once he gets to Battalion. A few pieces of advice: if you don’t hear from him for a while, do not worry. As soon as the guys arrive, they are grafting from dawn until well past dusk and then some. Give him some space and time to settle in but make sure he knows that you’re only on the end of the phone when he needs you – he’ll be in touch soon enough and he will need you behind him. I’ve trained over 150 recruits in the last year and the changes you see from start to finish is amazing – they really do arrive as boys and leave as men. Well, most of them… 😉

willard

Cheer up Ton, he’ll be fine. Be proud of him and look forward to his passing out parade.

Duffer
    Free Member

I hope i have as good a relationship with mine when they’re that age – currently 4 and 5! Good on you!

As above, the first few weeks of training are hard work, with lots of BS to put up with. As long as he knows he’s got some support behind him, he’ll be fine. It’ll make a man out of your boy!

Just don’t expect him to be up for much riding when he starts getting the odd weekend off – if he’s anything like me, he’ll need to be catching up on some sleep!

mt
    Free Member

Hello Ton, if you need people to ride with we are all here, I’m up for it if you get to the North Dales.
    Well done on having a youngster that is on his own way in life (many never make it), you are right to be proud.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘son leaving home, mixed emotions.’ is closed to new replies.