Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 625 total)
  • Son in hospital in a coma
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I’m still following and so hoping the little bits of good news continue. Just now and then something on the Net has an impact on the way I lead my real life, this thread has.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Sounds like good progress, so pleased to hear it. Hope things keep getting better.

Sandwich

Just checking in and pleased that it appears to be a minor set-back with the tubing. Must be a drag for Oldnpastit Junior.
    Been out on your bike recently? It may seem selfish to others and it will be surreal to you while it’s happening but “you time” and Mrs Oldnpastit “her time” is really important. A time to draw breath and survey the scene before getting stuck in again.

All the best to you all.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@oldnpastit – Sounds like positive news. Amazing thing the human brain.
    My mum had several major strokes, neusrosurgery, more strokes, internal bleeds into the brain over a 6 month period. Each time they readied us for the very worst and were very blunt in stating that she would not make it. That was 20 years ago, she’s 88 now and the only residual effects are a hilarious propensity to use the wrong words and names, and the scars from the neurosurgery. During the 2 years all this was happening and her recovery period we never gave up, we sat with her, read to her, talked to her, my uncle tickled her foot (something he used to do to her when they were kids and she hated it) anything to interact with her. She confounded a lot of people.

The level of recovery that is possible can be surprising, I hope your lad has the same willpower and resilliance. Stick with it, you are doing a fantastic job for him and keep updating this thread.

oldnpastit

Propafol has been turned off, and he’s now quite a lot more alert. Squeezing hands, doing “thumbs-up”, and even managed to write a few letters – “Wh?” (sic) although his handwriting is now even more shocking than it was before.

We tried to explain what had happened, which was quite hard, I guess at some point he has to know.

But he seemed like we might actually get our old son back, he seemed to enjoy our company, more than he’d done for years.

I left him watching Shawshank Redemption, and just as I was leaving I saw him moving his hands around in a strange way – and we then worked out he was waving to us.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

🙂

woody2000

Amazing news, hope he continues to recover and you get your boy back. 🙂

stumpy01

Progress progress progress…!
    🙂

Sounds like he is doing better than expected.
    Very pleased for him, you and your family.
    Updates are definitely appreciated, we are all rooting for you!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Great stuff. 🙂

matt_outandabout

😀

stevestunts
    Free Member

Thank you for being courageous enough to post on here OP, whilst all this is happening. I truly hope your boy recovers.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northernmatt

I’ve refrained from posting because honestly I had no idea even how to say anything remotely helpful. I’ve just reread the whole thread and the progress from three weeks ago is amazing. I wish you and your family all the best.

spacemonkey

Awesome news buddy.

Not much else I can say other than echo everyone else’s sentiments.

I wish you all the very best.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Brilliant news. Good to hear 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

But he seemed like we might actually get our old son back, he seemed to enjoy our company, more than he’d done for years.

Best thing I’ve read on the ‘net all week . . . I may have something in my eye. Thank you for the updates . . . stay strong and keep hold of that positivity.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Progress! However big, small, frequent or infrequent things are moving in the right direction. *not a tear – honest* 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

Smashing news! It’ll be a long road, but you’re prepared, and that’s half the fight…

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Your latest update seems to have created a small dust storm in my room and I now have some in my eye!

Great news, so pleased for you and your family. Best of luck to you all. Ash

MoreCashThanDash

Dusty here this morning as well. Let’s hope you get the positive outcome you all deserve, no idea how I’d cope if it was one of mine.

singletrackmind

Right , Now where is the ” Like ” button , because I really want to click on it .

Sounds very encouraging

All the people who moan about the NHS and waiting times, the cost per day etc . This is where and why it matters .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its a beautiful sunny morning here and it just got a better having read your update.

Drac

Excellent!

anagallis_arvensis

This thread started out dark and troubling and has become joyous and uplifting…. wishing you all the best for the times to come.

carlosg
    Free Member

Been reading the thread and like many haven’t posted as I can’t think of what to say(and my house gets a bit dusty every time). I’m really made up that your boy seems to be making good progress and bit by bit he’s coming g back to you .

The NHS is probably one of this countries best assets, the amount of times they’ve helped me and my family is of the scale and I dread to think what might have been if it wasn’t there.

My eldest son (10) caught me wet eyed last week and asked what was up so I told him about this thread , I also made it clear that if anything is ever bothering him that me and his mum are always there for him and it will always be better to talk to someone rather than do something rash you might regret later.

Keep on doing what you’re doing oldnpastit , I’m sure it won’t all be plain sailing but we’re all keeping our fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you and yours.

noteeth
    Free Member

and we then worked out he was waving to us

Post of the day. 😀

Great news – stay steady.

MrOvershoot

carlosg – Member
    My eldest son (10) caught me wet eyed last week and asked what was up so I told him about this thread , I also made it clear that if anything is ever bothering him that me and his mum are always there for him and it will always be better to talk to someone rather than do something rash you might regret later.

You get a gold star in your being a Dad book 😀

As someone who is struggling with the health of another its great how we can support each other in times of need. So no matter how much we bicker about silly things, when the shit hits the fan we really do care.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Your posts are a testament to the love and support family and freinds have at such a time.

Time is a great healer and again your posts are showing this. By the sounds you all still have afair way to go, please stay strong and you all need to find a way to let your emotions out and don’t keep them bottled up.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Great news. 🙂

jamj1974

Very, very pleased for you OP!

Speshpaul

nice.

richpips
    Free Member

Glad to hear there continues to be improvement. 🙂

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Ohhh man that is great news for you and your family. One of the saddest and real threads I’ve ever read on a forum, brought a tear to my eye, your strength of character is admirable and humbling to say the least! I sincerely wish you and yours better things in the future.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dear STW-Overlords, this thread is why there needs to be a “Like” button.

No one uses the “share” button. No one.

This thread, however, I like. I like a lot.

Great news, OP, great news! All fingers remain crossed for all that is to come.

dan86
    Free Member

First of all I am sorry to hear what has happened. Like many others, until now I haven’t been able to find the right words to reply. The updates of improvement are fantastic news even for those who don’t know you personally, and I hope the good news keeps on coming!

Despite the random/daft/rude/idiotic/funny/unbelievable content that often gets posted on this forum.. this thread has shown that it really is a massive amount of support when people really need it most. A Great community.. So well done for posting, I’m sure it wasn’t easy, but hope the support has helped!

I wish you, your son and your family all the very best for the future and will be checking in for more progress.

Dan

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

So sorry. In my thoughts and prayers. My own son did this and died 10 years ago. The worst thing that ever happened in my life and he never seemed to know how much people loved him.
    I know I will never get over this but I have learned to live with it a day at a time and most of the memories are now pleasant ones.
    Message me if I can help.

Philby

Been following this thread since the first post and its been both heart-warming humbling to see the progress made in each of your posts Oldandpastit, and in particular your last post. Once again my thoughts are with you and your family.

Diane
    Free Member

Wow 😀

gogg
    Free Member

I wish you the best of luck in supporting him with his recovery, he’s had a lucky escape by the sounds of it and gets a second chance, unfortunately too many people don’t.

Chin up and sincere best wishes to you and your family!

oldnpastit

Well I’m now sitting in the high dependency ward upstairs, as he’s been deemed well enough to move out of the critical care unit downstairs. Apart from anything else, this means I can now get 3g signal, yeah!

He’s still got the tracheostomy (so talking is out) and a catheter, but that’s about it. He’s asleep now (I think he was dreaming just now, with different bits of his body twitching, like sleeping dog). We managed to play I-spy the other day, although I still have no idea what on the ward begins with “J”.

We still don’t have a real idea of what’s going on in his mind but i think there’s room for cautious hope.

Some of these posts are really amazing, please keep them coming, thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 625 total)

The topic ‘Son in hospital in a coma’ is closed to new replies.