Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Son has broken iPad screen ! What are my options?
  • bearGrease

While simultaneously playing minecraft and walking out of the living room mini greaser has dropped the iPad and smashed the screen, looks like the case was not Gnarr enough. The iPad still seems to function, wifi, sound and camera are all OK but the bottom left of the screen has several radial cracks.

As I have Applecare I just called Apple to find that I really need Applecare “plus” to be covered for accidents! Next step is to visit the Apple Store and I understand the worst case scenario is £256 for a replacement.

What’s people advice on this? Are Apple any good in these situations? Any non-Apple routes worth investigating? Shall I stamp my feet and threaten to sell my AAPL stock? It’s a 64Gb iPad3 with cellular so not a cheapy so mini greaser is not flavour of the month at the moment. 😐

bruneep

How are his chimney cleaning skills?

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m sure that a dishonest person might suggest taking out insurance through protect your bubble or something?

be a shame if it got dropped in a few weeks…

jock-muttley

I’d be explaining to said offspring the sudden need for him to start digging the foundations to a new patio….. 😈

Drac
    onandon
    Free Member

It’s pretty damn easy to replace the glas digitizer ( the bit that’s broken )

Quite a few guides on YouTube so have a look and see if it’s something your be happy to tackle.
    If not then quite a few businesses will do the swap for you for 50 ish quid.

didgy2
    Free Member

Call apple directly if it’s less than 12 months old. Friend did and they repaired for free.

Cougar

Go see a ‘genius’ in an Apple store. Take the son. Punce him in the shins before you go in.

bruneep

Go see a ‘genius’ in an Apple store. Take the son. Punce him in the shins before you go in

Punce you say. Is it a local thing?

aracer
    Free Member

I replaced the glass in ours myself. Not too bad for somebody with reasonable technical skills, though I’m not sure I’d describe it as “pretty damn easy” – I wonder if anybody saying that has actually done it. Alternatively as mentioned plenty of places will replace for you. Quote from Apple was a lot more.

allthepies
    Free Member

Happened to my nephew just before Christmas. Local shop sent it away for repair ~ £95 I think.

tonyg2003

MrsG bust ours. FoneAngel £120 next day repair (If you can’t bear to be parted with it for more than a few days. She says they were brilliant.

geoffj

Punce you say. Is it a local thing?

I haven’t heard punce in a very long time. Something my dad used to say. It’s a Bolton / Manc / NW word.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Home insurance? I always forget to consider this option but the one time we gave it a truce a lost engagement rng it was all sorted

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I’d not consider it worth claiming for that on home insurance given the difference it would make to future premiums.

geoffj

£40 repair available on eBay

onandon
    Free Member

Aracer, yes I have on an ipad 2.
    Its easier if you but a replacement plastic bezel so you don’t have to be as careful when removing the original digitizer.

The hardest part is keep the dust etc away from the led screen so it isn’t sealed in when the new digitizer is stuck down.

Drac

Home insurance? I always forget to consider this option but the one time we gave it a truce a lost engagement rng it was all sorted

For something that’ll cost about £50 to repair? I’d not increase the cost my insurance for that.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s a fair point – far easier to take apart if you’re not bothered about trashing the bezel. The one I did was also totally shattered, so took a bit of effort getting all the bits of glass out.

jfletch
    Free Member

These replaced my broken screen. Apple certified and about £60 from memory.

http://illpod.com/

johnj2000
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience as to how much your insurance goes up? We claimed about 2k and didn’t feel the difference after shopping around the following year. However agree that if it’s doable for 50 quid then insurance isn’t worth it.

Cougar

It’s a Bolton / Manc / NW word.

East Lancs in my case, yes.

Drac

We claimed about 2k and didn’t feel the difference after shopping around the following year.

Without a claim it may have been cheaper again.

Hard to say how much it goes against you but a claim will.

apj
    Free Member

Can recommend Zippin Pippin in Cambridge. I spent 8 years taking apart and reassembling computers, laptops etc on an almost daily basis and wouldn’t fancy repairing an iPad. Watched Paulo there fitting replacement glass to an iPad, guys an artist, did a really good job. In addition to the dust issue, you have to be really careful with aligning the new glass, gluing it back in place etc, and using top quality adhesive to make sure the fix lasts, so would be easy to do a bad job.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I repair ipods/pads/phones on the side and to be honest as I say to all people I work for “its a temp fix” unless theyre willing to pay top whack for apple genuine screens/parts the cheaper copys for the ipads start at about 50quid and go upto 150 for genuine oem screens.

The cheaper ones work ok after a few months they become hot and unresponsive and are very very brittle. They also sit slightly proud of the bezel not fitting flush.

Personally I dont reccomend a cheaper screen as ive sin too many crack under normal use and then apple bat em away as its bin “tampered” with and voids warranty.

Either try apple to fix it as their warranty does cover some types of cracks (gogle it) or an insurance replacement as the mother in law did with her mini.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Son has broken iPad screen ! What are my options?’ is closed to new replies.