Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Son has £550 – £600 to spend on a second-hand Freeride/ AM/ Enduro bike What?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

What you got
    What’s about,
    What’ve you seen?

Son is 6′ 2″

Thanks

Happy Christmas..

jam-bo

Prophet for that money.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

i built my own bike last year from an 06 specialized enduro frame for that kind of money. 150mm rear travel from a fox dhx4, 160mm magura wotan forks, ex729/hope pro2 wheels, code brakes, single ring set-up with guide. takes longer to build up a bike by trawling for deals to get the parts you want, but its very very satisfying and you end up with a bike thats ideal for you rather than compromising then spending more money swapping out bits later on. if you want to build up a bike on a budget think outside the box, e.g. look for magura or manitou instead of fox or rockshox for forks, avoid all hope parts which go for a fortune due to their bling factor!

my enduro is a medium at 5`10″, so a large would be great for him and would be ideal for this kind of riding. not as light as the swanky enduro rigs you see all over the hills these days, but you aint going to get one of them for 600 quid.

chakaping
    Free Member

Freeride or AM?

Big difference in the bikes, freeride ones being cheaper eg. Kona Stinky, Lapierre Froggy, SC Bullit, SX Trail etc.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ chapaking…I know there are differences but if he had his way he’d have a full on DH bike. Apart from Aston hill there are no DH tracks around. I don’t ride DH so it’s going to be a case of having something he can pedal up and ride down. I currently have a BFe but will be going to get a squishy soon.

unknown
    Free Member

Cannondale Gemini – it’s longer travel and beefier than a prophet but can still be pedalled uphill. Single pivot with 150/170mm travel and a 1.5″ headtube so any fork you like.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I have a complete Canondale Gemini, with Manitou Sherman, mostly LX/XT parts, xt hubs on Sun Singletracks. Been sitting in the garage unused a few years, but believe it’s all in reasonable working order. Needs new shock bushings, but you could have it for a couple of hundred under that budget.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ pleaderwilliams..do you have any pics ( my email is in my profile )and what’s the year please?

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

westcoastmassive – Member
    i built my own bike last year from an 06 specialized enduro frame for that kind of money. 150mm rear travel from a fox dhx4, 160mm magura wotan forks, ex729/hope pro2 wheels, code brakes, single ring set-up with guide. takes longer to build up a bike by trawling for deals to get the parts you want, but its very very satisfying and you end up with a bike thats ideal for you rather than compromising then spending more money swapping out bits later on. if you want to build up a bike on a budget think outside the box, e.g. look for magura or manitou instead of fox or rockshox for forks, avoid all hope parts which go for a fortune due to their bling factor!

my enduro is a medium at 5`10″, so a large would be great for him and would be ideal for this kind of riding. not as light as the swanky enduro rigs you see all over the hills these days, but you aint going to get one of them for 600 quid.

This. If you have the time to hunt for the pieces i got an 06 sworks enduro with rp23, some fox 36 rc2 vans and hope/DT wheels for just under 500 quid iirc.

It has taken up a fair bit of time getting all the seized bearing out of the hubs and links and re drilling a stripped bolt on the fork but its all shipshape now 😛

tmb467
    Free Member

550 got me an 06 Enduro as well

8 months of riding it into the ground then another 400 over a few months to replace bearings, service shock, new bb & headset and then upgrade stuff like brakes

Great bike to start on, rides well up and downhill (better down admittedly). Just try and get a decent one

tymbian
    Free Member

@ tcbf…thanks but he’d like to be able to jump straight on. I wouldn’t some pics of frame n forks though..email in profile..

tomaso
    Free Member

Gemini Prophet Sx Enduro all good bets

I’d add Scott high octane, Spesh Pitch and a big old Patiot

tymbian
    Free Member

I’m having trouble finding a SX for the money..will check the others though.

tomaso
    Free Member

This on pinkbike looks OK
    plunder

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

kona coiler or giant reign x

andrewh
    Free Member

I was after just that a couple of weeks ago, just got a Stinky with Mazzochi 66s, had some bits in the garage already which helped, but older Stinkys are really cheap.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Son has £550 – £600 to spend on a second-hand Freeride/ AM/ Enduro bike What?’ is closed to new replies.