Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Somewhere to stay near Afan
  • KonaQueen
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m organizing a stag-do(this is my girlfriends login) in Wales. The plan is to go mountain biking on White’s Level and rafting, so I’m looking for a place that sleeps around 12 in the Afan area.
    Probably best we get a place to ourselves, near a pub and ideally with a pool table and decent TV. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of places we should definitely avoid?

akeys001

not exactly near afan but we did a boys trip (8 of us) to wales to do afan and cwmcarn over a weekend so we stayed just outside cardiff at this place

http://www.gwaelodinn.co.uk/

was bike friendly (ran out of space in the shed so some of us kept bikes in our rooms) – fab food, and at the end of the meal the waitress said we looked like we needed some tequila’s (nuff said), and good boozer with pool table downstairs, couldn’t recommend it enough really,

hth
    ade

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Brynteg guest house..Excellent place,always stay there

myorangecrush
    Free Member

Try the Afan Lodge.

superfli
    Free Member

Green Lanterns on way to Neath about 15mins from Glyncorryg. Bunkhouse sleeps 8 and then they have normal rooms as well. Fantastic steakhouse next door with a good bar. TV, but no pool table.

generallevi
    Free Member

Might not be exclusive to yourselves but Afan Lodge is the real deal….

Have stayed there since it opened 3 years ago and it is proper good! Big Comfy beds, power showers, bike storage, muddy clothes containers, has its own restaurant and bar with Grolsch on tap and breakfast is included. works out £35 per person a night and the owners are awesome.

Did I mention it has a log fire and 40 inch plasmas playing bike DVDs?

It’s our choice now everytime. Hope this helps a little 😉

simonbea
    Free Member
    KonaQueen
    Free Member

thanks all. looks like some good options so far, keep them coming.

dan45a
    Free Member

Stay in swansea then Get down wind street on the lash!! Biking and big session = prefect day 😉

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Lodge Bryn Betws Lodge Pod opposite new Afan bike Park

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

akeys001 Hope you checked out my local trails on Garf Mountain when staying at the Gwaelod

shanta
    Free Member

+1 Afan Lodge. Great place,food and people. Dont look any further.

makkag
    Free Member

hey pal brynteg cottages as already discussed is great its Self catering so just you but not sure if the two cottages sleep 12 right in the middle of cymmer 3 minutes walk to the refreshment rooms pub good laugh if you talk to the locals

Queens B&B in Glyn good food 25 quid a night.

Left field has 11 beds so one on the sofa but has own pool table massive place well equiped and just over the road from afan lodge for a bar and 5 mins in a taxi to cymmer or 15 to port talbot 20 to masteg
    http://www.windways.co.uk/WINDWAYS_NEUADD_AFAN_Accommodation_in_Afan_Valley/Home.html

use it a lot £550 for weekend and good people

zelak999
    Free Member

Afan Lodge fan here too.
    The food is awesome and the staff and locals are really welcoming!
    Can’t wait to go back!

woolymonster
    Free Member

+1 for the Afan Lodge

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

Have stayed once in the lodge. Very good.

Have stayed several times as a group in a self catering ex-farmhouse called Hafod Grange. Very comfortable and well equipped. Ride through the forest trails approx 45-60 mins to the official Afan/Glyncorrig trails or drive. Not near any pubs tho…

Painey
    Free Member

Can’t recommend this place enough: http://www.ivyhousewales.com/

We’ve stayed in the Bryn Teg B&B before but never again!

It’s a nice enough place but of the couple that own it, the bloke’s a nutter. Admittedly we went out on the Friday and after a few Jagers in Neath we got back a bit late and made a bit of noise. That’s unacceptable but he went way over the top, saying he was going to call the police, throw us out etc.

We apologised unreservedly in the morning but there was one hell of an atmosphere. He demanded we were back in before midnight on the Saturday, I mean, we’re in our mid-thirties.

Anyway we went to Wind Street in Swansea and he waited up for us until 3am, sat in the dark in a chair on his own. One of the reasons we got back late was wanting to avoid him. We made no noise coming in whatsoever but he was still grumpy with us. “Sorry we’re a bit late” “No you’re not” he almost shouted at us.

One of the things he said was “I worked on an oil platform for 17 years and haven’t had to put up with people like you”. Not exactly the friendliest place I’ve stayed!

KonaQueen
    Free Member

Frightening! thanks for all your help though. change of plan though so going to start a new post for ideas near Cardiff/ Cwmcarn

danjthomas
    Free Member

Afan lodge do dolphin unfriendly fish and chips, I thinking its actually dolphin! Best bread and butter pudding in the world. And they don’t sell peroni on tap as its not welcome in the neath valley.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere to stay near Afan’ is closed to new replies.