• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Somewhere nice for dinner in Portsmouth
  • stayhigh

Morning all

We’re going to Portsmouth tomorrow and are looking for somewhere nice to go in the afternoon and a nice restaurant to have dinner in the evening.

Any recommendations?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What do you mean by nice ? There are plenty of chain type places around Gunwharf not so certain about Old Southsea. As we only visit from “out of town”we don’t stay for dinner, either shopping in Gunwharf or a walk around old part of Southsea and along the sea wall. OK for a nice day but not if the weather is so-so

stayhigh

Ideally not a chain type, its always nice to go somewhere different from the same old rinse and repeat high street fare.

andyg1966

Any particular persuasion

Italian (Carluccios) in Gunwharf or Pizza House Hilsea (http://www.pizzahouserestaurant.com/)

Plenty on decent places on Osbourne Road Southsea

piha
    Free Member

I don’t know Portsmouth eateries at all well but when I visit Pompey I stop at Froxfield and eat at the Trooper Inn. Takes about 30/40 minutes from Portsmouth city centre but worth it, good food and great staff. Surrounded by lovely countryside too.

beanum

I haven’t lived in the UK for 12 years but I can still remember the Pizza House. Is the old crazy owner still there? I remember he used to throw knives at the toilet door while people were in there…. 🙂

TheGingerOne

We highly rate the Agora – 9 Clarendon Rd, Portsmouth, Southsea PO5 2ED
    Greek / Turkish food and very good

eranu
    Free Member

Few to consider..

Agora is very good.
    Huis – Belgian bar does great food it’s on Elm Grove.
    Gin and Olive – Albert Road
    Algarve Grill – Osborne Road
    Bombay Bay – Eastney Marina, bit out of the way but it’s a very good Indian.

DezB
    Free Member

Go to Emsworth. Fat Olives or Nicolinos.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fat Olives????

Was good in 2003… its stayed stagnant ever since.

Why not just walk up the road to the Sausage Pub (Sussex Brewery) and have real ale and sausage and mash (about 16 different types of sausage)

piha
    Free Member

Another one I’ve visited quite a bit is the Anchor Bleu at Bosham, near Chichester. Lovely spot, right on the sea front of a pretty inlet. Cod & chips is wonderful and the views over the water are wonderful from the first floor window seats. Great desserts too.

DezB
    Free Member

Was good in 2003

probably the last time I went 🙂

This place is good for cakes!
    http://www.thetenthhole.co.uk/

Unfortunately, it’s in Portsmouth. But not in the worst spot.

thomthumb
    Free Member

sant-yago tapas; nice trendy interior – and the some of the best tapas i’ve had including spain.

nemrut; family run turkish place – pretty much the opposite; if you’re not paying attention you think it’s a kebab place from the street!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sakura – Japanese restaurant in Southsea.

Have spent the odd hour in there while waiting for the next ferry to the Isle of Wight. It’s pretty decent. And it’s Not Wagamama, if you don’t like that sort of thing.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Micks burgers on Portsdown hill.
    Bellybuster & a carton of chips.

smokey_jo

Following a recommendation on here tried sant-yago – nice enough and good food. Got stuck at the table next to the kitchen as we hadn’t booked and they had a party in so might be worth phoning ahead.

dovebiker

I work in Portsmouth and if we stay out for a meal we often go the Still & West, semi-decent pub-fayre – at least you can watch the boats come and go. There’s Gunwharf Quays and the Maritime Museum, but it’ll be busy because of mid-term.

DezB
    Free Member

Micks burgers on Portsdown hill.
    Bellybuster & a carton of chips.

Then pop along to the dogging car park.. 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Micks was good back in 03/05 but now it’s nasty
    They forget that “Micks Monster Burgers” needs to still have the burgers the same size as the bread like they used up be

DezB
    Free Member

Did you find somewhere, stayhigh??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere nice for dinner in Portsmouth’ is closed to new replies.