Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Somewhere flat near Manchester where my I can buy chips.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Both my kids are trying their new bikes next weekend. Normally we do this sort of thing at Burrs (Bury) or Queen’s Park (Heywood) as they aren’t technical, have good lines of sight and we can buy chips and a warm drink. I thought we might try somewhere different though this time for a maiden flight. Any suggestions?

It has to be:
    Flat.
    An open space (so I can see them).
    Have chips.
    Not too far from North Manchester.

mcnultycop

Hollingworth Lake.

RustySpanner

Old Trafford?

ratherbeintobago

Queen’s Park

we can buy chips and a warm drink.

Not at the moment you can’t; the cafe’s closed down and I haven’t seen the burger van for a while.

Hollingworth Lake a good option as it’s flat and there’s a cafe half way round, but unless it’s dry you’ll need the jet wash.

What about Tod Park (though don’t know about cafe options) or Towneley Park (which is deffo cafe +ve and is meant to have a cycling loop)? Or even Nuttall Park?

Harry_the_Spider

Not at the moment you can’t; the cafe’s closed down

AWWW SHIT!!! Has it gone for good or is it a temporary measure?

It has to have chips for refueling my daughter.

ratherbeintobago

Don’t quite know. Apparently the council put the rent up and the existing incumbent couldn’t afford to stay; they were looking for a new tenant but whether they’ve found one…

I’m quite frankly amazed no-one has been along yet to challenge your parenting skills in allowing them to eat chips.

Probably too busy ringing social services…

Harry_the_Spider

Apparently the council put the rent up and the existing incumbent couldn’t afford to stay

Groan 🙄

I’m quite frankly amazed no-one has been along yet to challenge your parenting skills in allowing them to eat chips.

She needs them for medical reasons. Only about 6 of them, but she needs them.

I was being sarcastic btw 😉

Harry_the_Spider

I know.

All parks should have a sit in café where you can get chips. I don’t want a ciabatta with olives and dips, soup of the day or goat’s cheese and sun blushed tomato panini… I WANT CHIPS.

Heaton Park used to sell chips. Now it is all poncy, so we don’t go any more.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Jamaican me hungry! 😆

woody2000

If you fancy a jaunt a little further afield, then Greenhead park in Huddersfield is ace for kids and riding. All surfaced paths (traffic free roads basically) with plenty of space – NOT flat though, but it’s only a gentle slope. My 2 can make it back up the hill without moaning anyway! There’s not 1, but 2 cafes and they definitely sell chips 🙂

Decent play area(s), little steam train, skate park etc etc. Easy to get to off the M62 as well.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ll bring some chips to heaton park for you then.

fifeandy
    Free Member

All parks should have a sit in café where you can get chips. I don’t want a ciabatta with olives and dips, soup of the day or goat’s cheese and sun blushed tomato panini… I WANT CHIPS.

Now there’s something I can relate to 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

the Hidden Gem cafe at Heaton Park sells chips. The one at the garden centre.

Junkyard
    Free Member

white coppice?

Purpose built flat track from cricket ground to a park in Brinscall with swings and ducks – chippy near by and a cafe at WHite coppice

you know me though chances are neither is open

Its about 6 ish miles round trip.

martinhutch

Flat, good sight-lines, near Manchester, easy availability of chips?

Only one answer…Blackpool Prom!

Bregante

Longford Park in Stretford. Flat as a very flat thing and there’s a cafe bungalow wotsit. Great place for beginner cyclists.

http://friendsoflongfordpark.org.uk/?cat=98

slackboy

Townley Park?

slackboy

Blackpool prom

the prom from fleetwood to thornton is actually really good for kids.

as is the old railway line from caton to lancaster/morecambe, but that might be too long.

slackboy

duplicate

mintimperial

Fallowfield Loop? Traffic free, flat as, not too many dopey dog walkers usually. It’s not actually a loop though, it’s an out and back. I’ve parked up in Fairfield a few times and ridden along to Fallowfield with the boy, it’s a good couple of hours round trip all in. Just off the line in Fallowfield itself there’s a Costa/Starbucks type thing and a Sainsburys which has a cafe, that’ll do chips. Not sure what it’s like on the other side of Fallowfield but I hear it’s similar.

Sandwich

Blackpool Prom!

The standard of Rapha models has gone down somewhat.

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

Moss Bank Park in Bolton fits the criteria.
    1,Flattish, although there are some gentle slopes.
    2,Sells chips and warm drinks in the nice newly built Café.

binners

How about Witton Park in Blackburn? That ticks all your boxes it’s mahoosive and rather lovely, and there’s definitely chips. If they’re feeling a bit more adventurous, they’ve put some trails in too

ratherbeintobago

The kebab van is back in Queens Park.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Somewhere flat near Manchester where my I can buy chips.’ is closed to new replies.