Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Sometimes PayPal can be soulless bastards but…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

… other times you can almost see a heartbeat
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0X21XR

The digital payment company’s protest is the first by a major business after North Carolina became the first state last month to enact a measure requiring people to use bathrooms or locker rooms in schools and other public facilities that match the gender on their birth certificate rather than their gender identity.

Antediluvian is a word used too freely, but I think it might just apply in this case.

After PayPal’s decision, North Carolina Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest, who like McCrory is a Republican, defended the law.

“If our action in keeping men out of women’s bathrooms and showers protected the life of just one child or one woman from being molested or assaulted, then it was worth it,” he said in a statement.

jimjam
    Free Member

Sorry what?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Sorry what?

Paypal is standing up for LGBT rights.

Oh, and for everyone else:

antediluvian |?ant?d??lu?v??n|

adjective

of or belonging to the time before the biblical Flood: gigantic bones of antediluvian animals.

• chiefly humorous ridiculously old-fashioned: they maintain antediluvian sex-role stereotypes.

In other news, Paypal are now offering you credit. 😯

phiiiiil

I hate that kind of “logic”, but it’s trotted out all the time…

“If our action in encasing every single man, woman and child on earth in Carbonite protected the life of just one child or one woman from being molested or assaulted, then it was worth it”

There’s much more to it than bathrooms, it’s a totally backwards attack on anti-discrimination laws; they basically don’t have any, and now they’re not letting anyone else make any either.

P-Jay
    Free Member

In other news, Paypal are now offering you credit.

There have been PayPal branded Credit Cards for years, but the credit facility on their payment system is actually pretty good – they don’t offer huge amounts of credit – I think mine is £500, they don’t offer limit increases for “being good” and it’s interest free for 4 months (I think longer for bigger purchases) for anything over £150 and about 19% thereafter which is better than a lot of CCs.

Credit Reference Agencies class it as a ‘Credit Card’ even though it doesn’t come with one and their underwriting criteria is ‘non standard’ so can be an easy card to get if you’re trying to build a good credit history after problems in the past.

However, simply because a retailer accepts PP, doesn’t mean you can use PP credit oddly – but CRC takes it. I bought a new XT drivetrain with mine, paid it off over 2 months for the sake of a bit of a bump up of my credit history.

grum
    Free Member

Strange that you support this yet also support freedom for people to target hate speech at minorities.

donald
    Free Member

Paypal is standing up for LGBT rights.

and sitting down to pee

clodhopper
    Free Member

It’s incredible to think, that in this day and age,in a supposedly ‘civilized’ nation, we are witnessing such ignorance and bigotry. Well done PayPal.

In a similar vein:

B’way Composer Stephen Schwartz Bans WICKED, All Other Works From Being Put On In NC Over Anti-LGBT Law

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/04/05/mississippi-governor-signs-law-allowing-business-to-refuse-service-to-gay-people/

Unbeleivable.

Stoner
    Free Member

grum – wittered some ad hominem

You alright hun?

footflaps

It’s incredible to think, that in this day and age,in a supposedly ‘civilized’ nation, we are witnessing such ignorance and bigotry

The USA, civilised?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The digital payment company’s protest is the first by a major business after North Carolina became the first state last month to enact a measure requiring people to use bathrooms or locker rooms in schools and other public facilities that match the gender on their birth certificate rather than their gender identity.

But isn’t it a lot more difficult to assess somebodys gender identity than it is to assess somebodys actual gender . For example how do you tell the difference between a man who is undergoing a sex change but still has a penis and a man dressed as a woman , who could be going into the ladies with the intent to commit a sexual crime ?

phiiiiil

a man dressed as a woman , who could be going into the ladies with the intent to commit a sexual crime

I’m having a really hard time believing that has ever happened. They’re going in to assault someone, are they really going be so bothered about what other people think of their appearance as to stick balloons up their jumper?

Cougar

But isn’t it a lot more difficult to assess somebodys gender identity than it is to assess somebodys actual gender

Assuming by “actual” you mean “birth”, I’d posit that the opposite is true.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

who could be going into the ladies with the intent to commit a sexual crime ?

Unless I’m mistaken the sign on the door isn’t a magic genital detection device. Also the premise that a transgender person is more likely to commit a crime is laughable.
    The other parts to the laws are just as bad as they allow discrimination all over, you can refuse to do your job if you don’t agree with the persons lifestyle. Like the nut job woman who went to prison rather than issue marriage licenses to people who were entitled to one. There is no place in the modern world for bigots.

scotroutes

Yes there is.

They’re called churches.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very true, but for anyone struggling with the concept try replacing gay/transgender with black.

aracer
    Free Member

I also support the right of black people to use bathrooms appropriate to their gender identity.

MSP

a man dressed as a woman , who could be going into the ladies with the intent to commit a sexual crime

Transgender people are the highest risk group for being victims of sexual assault.

I thought that quite a few companies had already withdrawn investments from states enacting these kind of laws, iirc John Oliver did a segment about it on his show last year.

crankboy
    Free Member

The discrimination element is obviously offensive bollicks but the lack of logic is astounding , a hypothetical sex offender is supposed to pre plan and go to the wholly unnecessary lengths of disguising themselves as a person of the opposite sex then chose a public convenience as the place to carry out the attack but this determined law breaker will be stopped in his or her tracks by a law that says you can only go in the toilets that correspond to your gender as defined by visual inspection at birth.

allthegear
    Free Member

Not only that, but the law now requires all trans MEN to use the ladies toilets. Hmm – i don’t think they really thought this through, did they… 🙄

Rachel (who isn’t planning any trips to the USA in near future, unsurprisingly)

nickc

but the lack of logic is astounding

you were expecting logic? This is a law that’s essentially bigoted, how can it be logical?

jimjam
    Free Member

allthegear
    Not only that, but the law now requires all trans MEN to use the ladies toilets. Hmm – i don’t think they really thought this through, did they…

The current climate of political correctness which (at least from the outside) appears to be sweeping the U.S does put law makers in a particularly awkward position on this.

I don’t have a problem with people being genderqueer, bigender, trigender, pangender, nongender, genderfree or even genderfluid.

But.

When people who feel like they belong to one of these sub groups starts claiming that the words “he” or “she” and “man” or “woman” are offensive and discriminatory towards them then we are heading towards absurdist territory.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Antediluvian is a word used too freely

It really isn’t. 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

djathink? 😉

hatter

John Oliver nails it as per usual.

[video]https://youtu.be/hmoAX9f6MOc[/video]

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

They’re called churches.

There was a lot of collateral damage in this sweeping statement.

Let us take a moment to remember the fallen….

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just have one bathroom for everybody Ffs.

If we can do it in schools and unis why is it so difficult elsewhere?

Northwind

aracer – Member

I also support the right of black people to use bathrooms appropriate to their gender identity.

Not irish though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

how do you tell the difference between a man who is undergoing a sex change but still has a penis and a man dressed as a woman , who could be going into the ladies with the intent to commit a sexual crime ?

Has the hypothetical ever happened?
    Is it so widespread they need to discriminate so widely on the grounds of safety

I am going to posit that its just a knee jerk bigoted reaction with no basis in fact – not aimed at the person who posted it who raised it hypothetically.

When people who feel like they belong to one of these sub groups starts claiming that the words “he” or “she” and “man” or “woman” are offensive and discriminatory towards them then we are heading towards absurdist territory.

I agree its up to us to decide what gender they are isnt it and it’s not up to them to decide if OUR labels are fair or unhelpful.

I propose we do the same with race and form a council that makes decisions about it for people – who clearly cannot be trusted to decide for themselves.

PersonallY I dont GAS how anyone identifies their gender, I only care if they are a nice person or an arsehole.

allthegear
    Free Member

No, there has not been a recorded case in the US of a trans person (of any acquired gender) assaulting someone in a bathroom. There are lots and lots of records of them being assaulted…

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

Yay – let’s just decide on other people’s identities for them.

For a start – that Cougar – he’s a roadie through and through…

Rachel

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its worse that than rachel…… he is not even a cyclist

Definitely a deviant IMHO

hatter

To paraphrase the John Oliver video I posted above:

“The crime of someone using their transgender status to go into the women’s bathrooms to commit sexual assault is like space bestiality, it’s a a terrible crime granted, but it doesn’t actually happen.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

THat video is well worth a watch Cheers for that

zippykona

Which toilet would the gender police send this person to?

miketually
    Free Member

Georgia (the US state, not the country) was threatened with boycott by a lot of TV show companies if they passed a discriminatory law – http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2016/03/25/3763575/netflix-time-warner-sony-and-others-speak-out-against-georgias-anti-lgbt-bill/

molgrips
    Free Member

Given that women can be assaulted anywhere by anyone (as can men) this is meaningless. Even if there were a risk, the distress and humiliation caused to the many *gender people would outweigh it.

Northwind

zippykona – Member

Which toilet would the gender police send this person to?

They don’t look like they’re up for being sent anywhere tbh

Stoner
    Free Member

Bruce has piled in too.
    http://brucespringsteen.net/#post-10243

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, was just about to post that.

Have a day Bruce, have a day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Sometimes PayPal can be soulless bastards but…’ is closed to new replies.