• This topic has 206 replies, 98 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)
  • sometimes, is violence the only answer…………….on a commute.
  • Smee
    Free Member

I would like to see cycling jerseys with this sign on:

Smee
    Free Member

devs
    Free Member

I'm an ex rugby player and a chef so am a bit handy when pushed!

Are chefs hard then? Do they regularly go out the back and have meat cleaver fights in a Bruce Lee Enter the Dragon stylee?

Nice work ton 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djglover
    Free Member

Don't believe a word of it, and as Goan says, if he'd have said you definitely wouldn't have been sucking his plumbs 🙄

ski
    Free Member

Who was it on here that had a Hi-Vis top with "Polite Cyclist" on?

Smee
    Free Member

BTW a much better solution would have been the grabbing and squeezing of the guys nuts.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I don't believe this ever happened

genesis
    Free Member

We were a bit partial to the odd brawl 😉 got sacked from one job for having a punchup during service on a Sat night, shame was the head chef said I was in the right but being the junior member of staff it was me that had to go!

Never met Ton, is he really that big?!

Smee
    Free Member

genesis – he's around 6'5"^3

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

he drops to his knees crying like a kid, blood pis5ing from his face.

And you didn't kick him whilst he was on his knees?

ransos
    Free Member

I suppose you shouldn't have done it, but in no way do I feel sorry for the other guy. From the description, you could reasonably assume that he intended to assault you, so you could use an argument of self-defence should the rozzers come calling.

DezB
    Free Member

I think we need ton to tell us if this was real or imagined…

Richyb
    Free Member

Nice one Tony!

hora
    Free Member

Just change your route for a while. He obviously suffers from roadrage hence he'll easily swerve into you and drive off to get his revenge.

Elmo
    Free Member

It never goes down well in court when you headbut someone.
    The psychologist comes along and says its a pointer towards deep violent tendancies and anger iss uesto use your HEAD as a weapon.
    A normal/balanced person in this situation would use fists and attempt to protect the head.

Your pleas of self defence and unprovoked attack are a litle quiet and less well received!
    Trust me.
    Just a warning 😉

But i would have sparked him out. Cyclist, white van man and an odd shape!
    I get more than my fair share of "altercations"

ton

DezB – Member
    I think we need ton to tell us if this was real or imagined…

very true, i'm afraid.
    i do not feel good about it , but this guy was off on one…
    it will be on cctv, it was a main junction opposite tetleys.
    i will be going the same way home and continue going the same way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i will be going the same way home and continue going the same way.

I'm looking foreward to the next chapter of this thread….
    😉

Surfr
    Free Member

Surely your helmet will be destroyed?

votchy
    Free Member

The psychologist comes along and says its a pointer towards deep violent tendancies and anger iss uesto use your HEAD as a weapon.
    A normal/balanced person in this situation would use fists and attempt to protect the head.

Anyone with self defence training will know that you cannot effectively use your fists when an aggressor is this close, a head butt is a perfectly sensible use of force to diffuse a situation, as long as you strike once and effectively then the self defence plea stands up, 2 or more strikes and self defence goes out the window.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Interesting. In a similar situation I think my instinctive reaction would be headbutt as well. To use fists would involve having to retreat to have enough room to punch. Knee to the nads would be the only other option that would come to mind in such a case if the guy was so close.

Physically I'm exactly the opposite of Ton though – 5'10" and skinny, so my usual response in such situations is to run like hell. However there does come a point when the red mist descends…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Knee to the groin votchy? Stamp on his toes? Rake his shins? Run away?

You might get away with the Gerrard defense – "I was so scared he was going to hit me I hit him first" But I really wouldn't count on it for a headbutt

backhander
    Free Member

That is the funniest thing I've ever read on STW. Effing brilliant.

hora
    Free Member

Last time I headbutted someone (along longtime ago) I had a headache for two days afterwards 😕

Nutters on the other hand dont even feel pain 🙁

juan
    Free Member

Physically I'm exactly the opposite of Ton though – 5'10" and skinny, so my usual response in such situations is to run like hell

Well I am about half the volume ton is sadly I am very stubborn and would have done the same.
    I fought twice outside of the play ground. Once due to an "aggression" (I think now i should have just walk away) by a cyclist and another time by a road rage (somewhere in the forum). In both cases I felt very bad about it. Be careful though ton, it will be very easy for him to hit you with his car. So carefull down here ton.

As it is a true story I would go down to the police station NOW to report it.
    Better safe than sorry as brits say.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It seems a shame that you resorted to violence, but he doesn't seeem to have given you much option. I'd like to be able to say I'd react differently, but you don't know until you're in that situation. Hopefully nothing more will come of it, but I'd be extra cautious if I were you for a bit, it's not like you aren't easy to spot! Do you have any details, car reg and type etc?

Stoner
    Free Member

The guy must have been pretty tall and looking ton in the eye, because at 6'4" Im pretty sure I wouldnt be able to nut someone much shorter than me.

Harry_the_Spider

Stoner – Member
    The guy must have been pretty tall and looking ton in the eye, because at 6'4" Im pretty sure I wouldnt be able to nut someone much shorter than me.

You have to pick them up by the neck first.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id say that would stand up as self defence surely?

Anyone 5mm from your face shouting "I'm going to kill you", your going to take them at their word, not think, hmm maybe he's over reacting, or maybe he's bluffing.

If I had the psycology to hit someone (I dont, i just cant bring myself to connect with any force) I'd have done just the same.

crankboy
    Free Member

Thank you ton this is actualy my area of expertise.

From your account you were acting in self defence using reasonable force to protect yourself from a perceived imediate threat of violence .

Personally i would be reluctant to follow Juan's advise and report the matter to the police unless you can identify the bloke, as every crime report needs a resolution and they may decide you will do for the offender, cctv of incident plus you saying that big bloke using violence is me = charge of Affray, and it's up to you to raise self defence. A local Crime Solicitor will have a feel for how this would play out with your local police and weather or not it would be wise to get your account in early.

Should he get the Police involved do not talk to them without legal representation it is free at the police station and your lawyer will ensure you frame your account truthfully and with an eye to the legal issues . Do it yourself and you may find your account twisted to your disadvantage.

While i admire and understand your stance my advise is do not run the risk of further meetings vary your route that sort of muppett may well do something stupid and dangerous if he sees you again.

scotabroad

I wouldnt fancy a "Glesgae kiss" fae you Tony mate.

Funnily enough on Monday I was cycling along a busy road and I think i averaged a shout at a driver every two miles when they just missed by right elbow or drove 12 inches off my rear wheel, but I dont cycle on busy roads that often.

Trekster

having time to gesture means that it was not a near miss imo. having commuted for the best part of 30yrs the only thing I would consider a "near miss" was the 2 times I had a full brakes on sideways drift to avoid cars pulling out and stopping in front of me. 1 of those being at 25mph on my road bike. Got satisfaction of seeing lady drivers eyes, the shear terror of me coming sideways towards her passenger door 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

Well it was very naughty. BUT it compensates for the four foot nothing motorist that managed to knock me clean off my feet.

Bloomin old style LOOK road cleats one little nudge and I was over like a total spaz.

The shame.

Though I do come from the non PC school of dealing with motorists, to the extent that one of the guys I ride road with has to give me a little lecture about it pre ride. Trouble like that is very rare though, once a decade if that. Though how people stay cool on here is amazing. I'm a strong believer of being politely agressive in the first place.
    Headbutt! never would have thought of that, nasty.

BoardinBob

Lesson there, I'm an ex rugby player and a chef so am a bit handy when pushed

"I also cook!"

hora
    Free Member

oldgit, I think people stay cool on here as unlike a weekends roadride (can be random) MTB'ers tend to ride/commute down a set route daily so its not worth the worry.

I had a right old ding dong with a driver and its wife.. when they had pulled in again further on to let his wife out I stopped and I apologised to them (even though they were in the wrong). She screamed the street down that she wanted me killed and that I had a terrible accident coming my way etc. I didnt want anyone hurt (other commuters through mistaken identity) or myself so i called the truce. Didnt fookin work mind.

Violence on the road solves nothing. Just see motorists like horses, you startle one and it may kick off at the next cyclist. Same could be said for cyclists I guess as well…

DezB
    Free Member

All this about not having room to punch! It only takes a split second to take half a step back.
    Anyway, good for you ton, I'm not glad it was a real scenario, but there are many motorists who deserve it that you don't get a chance to "warn" in such a way.

barca
    Free Member

"..MTB'ers tend to ride/commute down a set route daily…"

You what?

pitduck
    Free Member

beware of the chef 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think you were wrong to do it TBH.

I'm 6ft, 16 stone and am well able to look after myself having had training to do so. I don't hit people because that would make me feel a bit of a ****.

If he had hit you or if you had warned him to back off and he came back swinging that's one thing but sounds like you took the opportunity to hit someone because you could, makes you a bully as far as I'm concerned.

He was just barking and you were spiteful, sorry if that goes against the grain but there it is.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't really believe this, but that's irrelevant. Of course violence is a perfectly sensible answer if you're the size of a house and you're acting in self-defence.

For most normally sized people, the best result would be not to make the international sign of the masturbator at someone, resulting in them not threatening to kill you and everyone having a better day. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep violence is wrong. But IMO Ton tid the right thing. Back down and he'll just keep coming, maybe day after day. I was always taught to stand up to stuff like this, that violence was a last resort, but if it looked unavoidable, get in there first…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘sometimes, is violence the only answer…………….on a commute.’ is closed to new replies.