Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Something to do in London tomorrow.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Got a day off work so thought i would take a trip upto the big smoke to have a wander about as im only a short train ride awayin P’boro. Anyone know of anything worth seeing that is on at the moment?

tails
    Free Member

Ask rudeboy he seems like a london encyclopedia.

Conor
    Free Member

from my limited time (one day..) there, if you are near the south bank:

Burough market
    Tate modern (really surprised with this place, could spend a week there!!)
    The big gallery place up the river from the tate modern.
    some nice pubs
    the eye if it’s a nice day and the queues are short.

jahwomble
    Free Member

if its still on go and see the Byzantine exhibition at the RA, went a couple of weeks ago and it was superb……….well impressive, lots of ikons and stuff to gawk at.

atlaz
    Free Member

jahwomble has a smart idea, do that. Do lunch at Bodeans in Soho (American BBQ, worth the visit), then grab a beer or two with a book or magazine down at the Porterhouse in Covent Garden. Should keep you busy.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ask rudeboy he seems like a london encyclopedia.

That is not entirely untrue, I’ll be honest.

Pends what you like; Art, music, museums, galleries, food, beer, markets, walking about, fighting, boats, trains, history, shopping, parks, running up and down steps, animals, engineering, other stuff.

As a quick Rude Guide to a Day Out in That London’s Famous London, I’d say, atm…

World Wildlife Photographer of the Year, at the Nat. Hist.

And then, you’ve got all the rest of the Nat Hist museum to look round, the Science Museum next door, the V+A across the road, Knightsbridge for posh shopping, Hyde Park, some good little eateries, and pubs, too.

Being that it’s winter, I’d say that’s a pretty good way to spend the day. Allows you to chill out and relax. You could just sit on a bench, in one of the museums, and people watch, if you want a rest. And you’ll have your mind fed with lots of good, nutritious visual stuff.

Head down to the River later (maybe a boat ride?), London Eye if you can be arsed queuing, but plenty of bars, cafes, restaurants etc. And it all looks pretty, lit up at night.

Enjoy!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Anyone know of anything worth seeing that is on at the moment?

It’s London. There’s ALWAYS something on!

The big gallery place up the river from the tate modern

D’you mean the Tate Britain? 😉

psychle
    Free Member

Exactly what I was about to suggest Rudeboy, the Wildlife Photographer exhibition is a great choice if you like your photography 🙂

bruneep

whatever you do, stay off the hills!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So, what was the verdict?

I go to all that trouble (Rude Guides have to be carefully planned, you know), and no response!

Weather’s a bit cr4p in London today. Shame.

djglover
    Free Member

2 wildlife photographer exhibition

Go up st Pauls for the 2nd best view of the city

Go up to Primrose Hill for the best.

Go to the market porter for some real ales, then Borough market

The museum in Docklands to look at the jack the ripper / slavery exhibition

London transport museum is brilliant, geeky and full of kids, but I loved it.

Hormiman museum is next on my list, supposed to be Londons best kept secret in terms of museums

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice people. Got up today and it is pissing it down, so decided to put it off till next week, but will be following most the advice given, especially about the Wildlife exhibit, sounds very interesting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, for me, it would be a selection from the following;
    National Gallery
    Tate Britain (Not Modern, although the building at Modern is superb, I just prefer to see some Stubbs, Turner and the like)
    Lunch at Inn The Park in St James’s Park (British food, cooked in season and well priced)
    British Museum (Byzantium, as mentioned above, is superb, as is the musem as a whole)
    Dinner at Rules, Covent Garden. Everyone should eat there at least once in their lives!

tomalsop
    Free Member

Depending on your budget, this is my sister in law’s new business.

Thames RIB Experience

Promo video I made for them

The boat is bloomin’ quick, great fun! Would definitely recommend a Bodeans too. The Japanese car exhibit at the Science Museum sounds quite good too.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

For me I’d do:

Borough Market for breakfast;
    Wander up to St Pauls to look around;
    Back across the wibbly bridge to Tate Modern;
    Dirty Pub lunch in the Horniman at Hays Galleria;
    London Dungeon;
    Zakudia for cocktails;
    Camden for a band.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not so sure about the Bodeans recommendations. OK, so it’s not awful, but there are far better places in London to eat, IMO.

Try Sophie’s Steakhouse (Fulham or Covent Garden), for example.

tomalsop
    Free Member

I can’t see the burnt ends on the Sophie’s menu 😉

Sure Bodean’s isn’t the best place to eat in London, but it’s good cheap grub and a fun atmosphere.

djglover
    Free Member

Sophies is cak

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Gah! After all that!

Djglover Has some good ideas there. The Horniman is a little out of the way, mind. But I spose you could combine a trip there, with a visit to Greenwich, with the Royal Observatory, the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich Market and the Park. Some nice places to eat, and you’ve got the Greenwich union, for some proper nice beer.Then, a boat ride back into central London; time it right, and you may get a spectacular London Sunset.

There are little gems hidden about London, such as the V+A Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green, the quirky little Geffrye Museum near Shoreditch, and the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth.

Of course, the really obscure little oddities like the quaint little Fan Museum in Greenwich, or the British Postal Museum might be a little ‘niche’, but all are fascinating.

IMO, the biggest disappointment is the Museum of London, which just does not do the Greatest City on Earth justice. OK if you’re mooching about near St. Pauls, though, and want to look at stuff like the bits of old Roman Wall, and Postman’s Park.

Let’s face it, you can’t really go wrong, can you??!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

We (me and a couple of work colleagues) are going to the IWM tomorrow lunchtime.

We have resolved to start going to all these places so close to where we work. Yesterday we went to the Museum of London

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You know, the more I think about it, and look at the other suggestions, the more difficult it becomes, to suggest a good single day out! There’s just too much!

I’ve lived here all me life, and still only feel like I’ve seen a little bit.

But I’d definitely recommend something visual, something historical, some nice grub, and seeing the River. Got to see the River; it’s what threads it all together.

Jamie
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member

Gah! After all that!

Yeah my bad, but when I go London I do quite like just wandering around all over the place, kinda like getting lost on purpose, as i dig the whole sprawling nature of the place. Unfortunately when it is raining like it is the whole experience is dampened. Weather looks better towards the end of the week/early next week so will more than likely take everyone’s advice then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and seeing the River. Got to see the River; it’s what threads it all together.

But only on the North side, of course.

😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But of course, Captain! I thought that was taken as read!

I consider the South Bank and Greenwich not to be South London, though, as they are simply too cultured.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Equally I consider that Putney, Barnes and Wimbledon Village are merely outposts of the correct side of the river accidentally misplaced.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hmm, yes, you’re right.

Ear, do you know a little cafe by Puntney Bridge station, what’s it called, Cafe Nunn, that’s it?

Great little place; cheap, friendly, good food, and you meet all sorts of interesting bods in there. Love the place, must go back soon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t know that one, RB, but will bear it in mind for future forays!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s just a simple, friendly, unpretentious little place. I discovered it on a pootle one day, needing refreshment. Sort of place where I can just tell the people to sort out ‘whatever you recommend’, and they bring me a nice little selection. Always fresh and tasty, and never more than £5-6, with a large coffee.

London does the grand, the impressive, the spectacular, but people forget, that it also does the small, quiet and unobtrusive little hidden treasures, too.

mogrim

South side of the river is the best bit, head out to Kew Gardens, Hampton Court, Richmond Park… and none of those common northern types!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Eating in London. for simple good food, it has to be the S&M Cafe (no it’s not smutty, it’s Sausage & Mash)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I'm going to be in the big smoke for a wander on Thursday. Is there anything to add to this thread that is on this week, anyone?

GTDave
    Free Member

It will be pissing down on Thursday & Friday.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Looks okay on Metcheck

Though I'll probably plan for a fine day and a wet one too

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Something to do in London tomorrow.’ is closed to new replies.