Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Something similar to a Cannondale Synapse but with 35mm tyre clearance?
  • gerti
    Free Member

I’m planning a road bike purchase on the C2W scheme in May. To be used for long (for a MTBer) summer road miles and maybe a sportive or two.

Quite taken by the 2016 Cannondale Synapse (Alloy, 105) but the only thing putting me off is the tyre clearance, according to evans website it’ll only take a max of 28mm.

I don’t know much about road bikes tbh, so is there anything out there I should be looking at which is similar in spec/geo to the synapse but which will take a 35mm tyre if I fancied some fireroad fun?

Cheers

13thfloormonk

I’m in pretty much the same boat, I want road bike weight/geometery (well ‘endurance road bike’ geometry 😉 ) but with bigger tyre clearance.

I think the most obvious contender is the Genesis Datum however that depends on the rules of your BTW scheme as the cheapest Datum is £1800 I think.

The Pinnacle road bikes looked good also, although I think 35mm might be ambitious, I’m sure they could accommodate 28mm with guards and 32mm without?

The new Kinesis 4S disc can do 32mm without guards (again, I *think*) but again, you’ll not get one for much under £1700 I think.

Kamakazie

Some of the more road orientated ‘Gravel’ bikes would probably suit.
    Giant, Specialized, Norco, BMC, Jamis all do them but I’m not sure of the tie clearances on each of them but a few definitely take that size of tyre.

Bregante

Pinnacle Arkose or the Mango Point AR which I like the look of..

£750 with a 105 groupset.

Trekster

Ridley X Trail 💡
    Collect mine later in the week 😆
    Hoping the snow clears 😐

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/ridley-previews-x-trail-all-road-bike-44615/
    Could have had last years model at a much reduced price but the ’16 model is more refined/better on the eye 😉

lawman91

Had my Genesis Datum a week or so and love it, but it might be a bit spendy and they are like hens teeth at the minute. GT grade would get my vote if sticking to a grand budget, the alloy 105 gets the same TRP HY/RD brakes as my datum and 105 running gear and I think it’s the best looking grade in the range, though none of them are particularly pretty IMO. Genesis Croix de fer 20 is slightly over a grand but gets a gorgeous steel frame and basically the same build as my Datum but it is a hefty bike for purely on road use. Flip side is it’s super versatile and rides very nicely off the beaten path.

gerti
    Free Member

Plenty of food for thought there guys, thanks.

I probably should’ve stated a £1k price limit at the start, nothing to do with C2W, but I’ve gotta keep the husband happy 🙂

I nearly hit the button on an Arkose last year, but bought the Ramin 29er instead.

Tbh, maybe my best option is to slim down the 29er HT instead of compromising the road bike?

Off to do more reading…

Cheers again.

scandal42
    Free Member

Giant Revolt looks really good, massive clearance.

irvb

I had 700×35 Schwalbe CX Comps on my Specialized Diverge AOK, and run them on my Surly Pacer too.

MoreCashThanDash

but I’ve gotta keep the husband happy

Now there’s equality!

I’m waiting for Flashy to show up and start shouting about the Spesh Diverge.

Saccades
    Free Member

PX LR?

sleigh62
    Free Member

I went with the Planet X London Rd, sram 22 groupset.
    Bought it through the c2W scheme … use it for commuting, some road stuff and mostly the ridgeway with 32mm tyres … Quite a bit of clearance left.

Not the lightest at 9.5kg but about average for that kind of bike.

Love it!

Was £799 and then you get the c2w advantage … So cost should be £465 on the c2w scheme calculator

simondbarnes

Tifosi Forcella?

peteimpreza

Cannondale Slate

Or

I have the Synapse alloy disc , 32mm will fit no problem or 25 MM. with full, length mudguards.

25mm are fine on rough cycle tracks, canal towpaths and the Fosse Way

32mm are better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Something similar to a Cannondale Synapse but with 35mm tyre clearance?’ is closed to new replies.