Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Something for fans of modernist ruins in the West of Scotland
  • maccruiskeen

I’ve got 4 tickets for Doors Open Day at St Peters Seminary, Cardross tomorrow…. but can’t go.

Its a free event but with limited numbers. Tickets are for a guided tour starting at 12.30

bikebouy
    Free Member

Woohoo..

Scotland you say? Too far..

allfankledup

Bencooper was into that urban exploring I think……

IHN

I would love to go, that place is amazing. Wrong end of the country though 🙁

maccruiskeen

Bencooper was into that urban exploring I think……

He’d just jump over the fence though. This is an opportunity for mortals to do in daylight what Ben does in the dark. 🙂

It used to be the case anyone could go and clamber about this place but its now fenced off and secure while it gets stabilised for a future use as a sort of safe-ruin-arts-venue.

Its easier to get around now when you can get in, And now isn’t littered with all the asbestos that earlier explorers were probably unaware of.

I had a bit of fun working there earlier this year

Northwind

Aaargh, I can’t but I’d love to, what a place.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve been there before its some place to see, shame they let it fall into disrepair.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Cool

nickc

would love to spend some time wandering about in there.

shifter
    Free Member

Can we ride that ramp??

maccruiskeen

Just to update- the tickets now have a home

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looks really interesting, can anyone organise a tour?

maccruiskeen

The new owners are NVA – it’s effectively a construction site so visitors need a bit of chaperoning which they’re not overly resourced to do. You possibly could ask them to facilitate a tour though, or sign up for their mailing list so that you hear about future events.

The tours are facilitated by volunteers so maybe one of the best ways to get a tour is to volunteer to lead them

jamj1974

There’s some excellent stuff online of the old psychiatric hospital where my dad worked in the 1970’s and again in the mid-1980’s.

One of the Victorian-period asylums it was a really interesting place when it was still open – a real maze and an entire community in microcosm. When it was closed and boarded up it was a huge contrast – but still very interesting.

Cane Hill

jamj1974

Meant to say I only saw it online when it was closed!

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s great that it’s being stabilised – an amazing place, I haven’t been for a decade or so.

maccruiskeen

Indeed – I prefer that its being stabilised rather than restored or renovated. With all the curtain walls and glazing away its got a fantastic antigravity quality to it – it barely seems to touch the floor. And I guess its spent much more of its life as a ruin than it has as a building.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Something for fans of modernist ruins in the West of Scotland’ is closed to new replies.