Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Somethign I'll regret buying.
  • honourablegeorge

Got one of those Feedback bike scales.

This is going to cause expensive problems.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1 (today): tell us how much you ‘think’ your bike weighs

2 (tomorrow): tell us what it actually weighs.

🙂

honourablegeorge

I thought it was just under 31 lbs

It was actually close enough to 30 that I’ve gone and bough new grips and a new chain to (hopefully) sneak it under 30.

Now eyeing up those Light Bicycle wheels in a serious way

Thought my DH bike was under 37lbs – it’s over 39.

ash.addy
    Free Member

This is going to get rather expensive isn’t it.

tomhoward

Having spent an embarrassing amount upgrading my madone (starting weight was a hair under 18lbs) without actually weighing stuff, just going off mfrs claims and ‘oh that’s about x grams lighter’ I was convinced it wouldn’t be uci legal due to the weight (that was, sort of, the aim anyway) then I weighed it once all the upgrades were done. Not. Even. Close. 16lbs 4oz. (With pedals. And a cage. And 25mm tyres. And 50mm rims. [/clutching at straws])

Sad (read, ‘broke’) face….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

On a road bike, how much do you have to spend to drop 1lb weight do you think?
    My Dolan L’Etape is 17.63lb (8kg) with full 105 groupset incl pedals. I thought that was fairly light, not having looked into it i suppose upgrading the groupset would cost me around £600 for how many grammes/ounces saved?

njee20
    Free Member

How long’s a piece of string? FarSports do some 950g wheels for £400 or so. They’ll likely save you closer to two pounds, possibly more. Tubs though. Or you could be more sensible and do Novatec hubs on Alpha rims, which are 1200g or so.

Group set won’t save much. Finishing kit would be a better place to look – saddle/post/stem.

Money spent:weight saved isn’t linear though!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

On road bikes, mainly in the OE wheels. Groupset change would be marginal gains for huge cost.

My 52cm Lapierre Xelius;

Fulcrum R7s replaced with £200 6700 Ultregra wheels, lost 400grm
    OE San Marco saddle replaced with £30 San Marco Spid saddle lost 120grms
    OE alloy seatpost replaced with £18 chinese “ritchey” seatpost lost 70grms (bought more as an experiment on buying direct and as nice cosmetic match rather than an attempt to weight-save).

The wheels cost ~£100 to upgrade once I’d sold the R7s, the other bits are still in my spares box. Weighs 7.50kg/16.5lbs with 105C pedals and 2 P-X carbon cages.

Fulcrum R7s were around 2000grms, the Ultegras weigh ~1600grms so getting some of Njee’s 1200grm Novatecs instead would have dropped 800grms or so which is a big chunk on a road bike and far and away the best g/£.

50mm rims are aero but not light!

My Alpine 160 with coil bombers, CCDB etc etc hasnt gone anywhere near my scale!

tomhoward

Based on my experience, around £2000. 😳

gogg
    Free Member

20p, public toilet.

I’ll get my coat…

munkster
    Free Member

@ crashtestmonkey – how do you find the “£30 San Marco Spid saddle” and where did you get it from? I can find a “Spid Racing” from Ribble for £40. Same thing? Sorry to hijack.

[edit]Although to the OP I am in the process of assembling parts to build some 1350g road wheels for £230, so that’ll obey the £1:1g cost:saving ratio quite accurately 😉 [/edit]

OCB
    Free Member

@ Gogg.
    +1 (at least 1lb) 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

munkster, it doesnt have all the channels and other techy/marketing specs of more expensive saddles, but it is more comfortable than the one it replaced (and other far more expensive saddles Ive owned) so it’s a keeper. It’s the 40 quid “Spid racing” you’ve seen, but it was ~£30 @ Evans when I got it recently. I was surpised the quoted weight was accurate (claimed 208grm, from memory it was a few grams less).

munkster
    Free Member

Interesting thanks. I’m finding that despite my best efforts of trying lighter alternatives my butt is liking the San Marco Ponza best, which is a bit lardier than I’d like so am just trying to see if I can find another San Marco (Spid looks like a similar shape to be honest) for a little less lard!

julians
    Free Member

Interesting thread, I just bought a set of scales to find out how much my ibis mojo hd really weighs.

I thought it would be arohnd 30lb, spec is as follows

Ibis hd size large
    Ccdb air shock
    Marz 55 rc3 ti coil forks
    Reverb
    Gobi fizik saddle
    Easton haven carbon bars
    Light bike am rims on hooe pro ii hubs
    Hans dampf 2.35 tyres set up tubeless on stans tape
    Superstar mag flat pedals
    1x 10 slx/xt drivetrain – no bashguard or chain guide etc
    Shimano xt brakes with hope 203mm floting rotor on the front and 180mm on the back
    Crud catcher front mud guard

I was quite surprised by the actual weight, anyone want to guess?

tomhoward

28/29lbs?

Edit scrap that, 33/34?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I feel your pain.

Been trying to slim down the SC V10 recently…

Last 6month has seen:

2014 Fox 40 Float 521g weight saving over previous 2012 coil 40’s. At a cost of £955 (actually a bargain in OZ as UK retail is over £1500) but still £1.83 / gram

Ti Shock Spring £100 for approx 100g £1 / gram

So far the last month has seen:

Light Bicycle 33mm DH Rims and Hope hubs (expected weight 1780g) the current Havoc DH wheels are 2295g. Hopefully saving 500g at a cost of approx £550 fully built – so about £1.10/gram

XO DH cranks with Hope BB to replace RaceFace Atlas Cranks. Weight saving approx 100g. Cost £285. £2.85/gram.

Burgtec Penthouse Flat mk4 with Ti axle (370g) to replace ancient Easton flaboys (571.52 g). Saving 201g at a cost of £150 – $0.75/gram

£2040 to save 1.4kg…

I think I can save another 80g on the saddle for only £60 so only £0.67 / gram.

I’ve also just been eying up Ti bolts.

My name is John and I have a bike habit…

iolo
    Free Member

Surely if you enjoy riding your bike it’s the right weight.
    I can understand spending that extra grand or whatever if you’re a podium chaser with a proven track record. Otherwise stock bikes should be fine no?

nwill1
    Free Member

I did the same a couple of weeks ago, never really had an idea of the weight of my Five, I thought they came in at between 28 & 32lbs depending on build…mine currently sits at 33lbs. Was a little shocked but I’ve built it up as a fairly sturdy all rounder.

Fox 36 Floats (@140mm)
    CCDB
    Reverb
    XT Brakes
    Hope Hoops (Mavic EN321)
    SLX Crank
    G2 Mini Guide
    Renthal Bars/34t Chainring
    2.35 High Rollers (Wire Bead Single Ply)
    Deore 10 Speed Cassette
    Deore 10 Speed Chain
    Thomson Stem
    Hope Headset
    Saint Pedals
    Zee Read Mech

The bike rides superb, the only slight issue is climbing but that is my fitness more than the bike. I’m not going to throw loads of £££’ at it to save lbs! I’ve already got an XT cassette that will save 200g, I will match it with a marginally lighter chan (suggestions welcome) some tyres that will save 500g and more importantly will have a lower rolling resistance!

Ideally I am getting new rims but can’t decide between Arch Ex & Flow Ex, I want Flows but quite like the idea of extra weight saving on the wheels!

If I was really flush I’d probably swap to new Pikes and a CCDBair but that’s not going to happen!

julians
    Free Member

Ibis hd size large
    Ccdb air shock
    Marz 55 rc3 ti coil forks
    Reverb
    Gobi fizik saddle
    Easton haven carbon bars
    Light bike am rims on hooe pro ii hubs
    Hans dampf 2.35 tyres set up tubeless on stans tape
    Superstar mag flat pedals
    1x 10 slx/xt drivetrain – no bashguard or chain guide etc
    Shimano xt brakes with hope 203mm floting rotor on the front and 180mm on the back
    Crud catcher front mud guard

I was quite surprised by the actual weight, anyone want to guess?

the real weight was 31.4 lb, I was pretty surprised,based on all the other light weights being quoted out there on the internet. The shock,fork and seatpost are heavy, but all perform excellently, so wouldnt want to change any of those. The only thing that could save a bit of weight is going to smaller brake rotors, but I dont think its worthwhile.

I do have a very light saddle which would knock 100g off, but its so uncomfortable to sit on I figured an extra 100g is worthwhile for a bit of comfort.

I also have a 2005 specialized enduro , which I weighed at the same time:-

2005 enduro size medium
    Fox 36 150mm air forks
    fox dhx air 5 shock
    specialized seat post & bars etc
    Specialized wheels
    specialized enduro tyres with tubes
    specialized saddle
    Hayes stroker trail brakes with 203 mm front, 180mm rear rotors
    nukeproof neutron pedals
    A bit of mud

34.5lb.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Interesting thanks. I’m finding that despite my best efforts of trying lighter alternatives my butt is liking the San Marco Ponza best, which is a bit lardier than I’d like so am just trying to see if I can find another San Marco (Spid looks like a similar shape to be honest) for a little less lard!

I have a Ponza which has been relegated to my winter bike, despite having a 70 quid rrp it is heavier and (for my butt at least) less comfortable than the Spid. Not sure why – shell shape, flex, padding density – as there is nothing ‘special’ about it.

Every change I made to my Alpine 160 added weight, with the exception of the Ti spring on the CCDB which was bought purely for tart factor (and it was a bargain off STW classifieds) and any weight loss is incidental.

TooTall
    Free Member

If you spent the time on the bike instead of weight-weenying on the internet, would that give better results than the time and money invested in dropping the bike weight?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ll have you know I do most my weight-weenying due work hours, well I have to do some thing to pass the time other wise I’d have to actually do some work… 😛 😛

munkster
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll have to give one of these spid things a try then CTM.

ps – I don’t know the answer to your Q, Mr Tall, do you? All I know is I ride my bike plenty and still have time to indulge in a hobby that I enjoy… Is that so wrong? 😥 😉

honourablegeorge

30.00 pounds dead.

(New grips, new chain, and stuck on six Ti rotor bolts I had in the shed but never got around to fitting)

TooTall
    Free Member

ps – I don’t know the answer to your Q, Mr Tall, do you?

No – which is why I asked. If it’s just the male affliction of ‘shiny things’ then that is an end in itself. If it is actually to achieve something that is performance-related, then that is something different.

It usually seems to be the former.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Somethign I'll regret buying.’ is closed to new replies.