Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)
  • Someone sitting on your car
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ok, the “I hate cars” crowd just seems to be trolling…. What about if your motorbike was parked up and someone leaned against it?

This is pretty much the grounding of my position. I came down to the street one day to find an adult holding a child on the seat of my motorbike. Was I bothered? Initially yes, than I reaslised that no harm was being done.
    Secondly I wasn’t able to watch the bike 24/7 and most certainly wasn’t going to worry about things that could or might happen.
    I used to drive to events that had large fan followings and people would use the car as a rest, again I wasn’t going to stress myself about it.
    Wanton vandalism and destuction is another thing, but someone sitting/leaning/brushing/looking at it in an aggressive manner is hardly anything to get my knickers in a twist about.
    But if that’s all you’ve got to worry yourselves about, count yourselves very lucky.

jools182
    Free Member

hilldodger – Member
    If your motor vehicle is that precious, buy a property with a drive or garage – if it’s parked on a public road it’s fair game

I’d love to be able to afford a new property with a garage

Rockplough
    Free Member

It’s the equivalent of someone lifting your bike up to see how much it weighs, and some of you really need to sort your lives out.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s the equivalent of someone lifting your bike up to see how much it weighs

Do you really think that?
    Someone lifting your bike would be interested in it.
    Someone sitting on your car would be contemptuous.

They’re the same are they? Duh.

Moses

Yes, they are more-or-less the same thing. No damage done to either. What’s the problem?

DezB
    Free Member

😆
    I don’t give a toss about my car, but someone sitting on it wouldn’t be welcome.

So you would sit on a stranger’s car? Yeah, dream on.

parkesie
    Free Member

Never mind sitting

Cougar

My OH is struggling to walk very far at the moment, so we hired a mobility scooter to get round a theme park on holiday recently.

Parked up outside a shop, went for a hobble round and came out to find some bloke sitting on it. Seemed quite put out when I went “erm, excuse me…”

Still, it was “only a scooter,” and she’d probably have had to actually fall over before she’d sufficiently earned others’ respect, hey.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Someone sitting on your car would be contemptuous.

Talk about ascribing intent.

Anyway, yes I do really think that. They are materially equivalent.

DezB
    Free Member

Talk about ascribing intent.

And you actually do live in the real world?

I ask again – would YOU sit on a stranger’s car?

Moses

No, I wouldn’t personally do so, but I don’t see it as a problem.
    Using terms like “contemptuous” and “respect” shows this is really about territory and defensiveness rather than the actual risk of damage. It’s a git-orf-my-land thing for those less well endowed. (Property-wise of course. I have my suspicions of the other)
    If there were a real risk of damage I could see your point, but if someone’s just idly leaning on a vehicle or wall etc it would be a fuss about nothing.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If someone could lift my car I’d be really impressed.

As long as they controlled it on the way down and didn’t drop it suddenly, anyway.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

For those who don’t give 2 hoots about your cars and are making light of this.

How about you have carefully laid your bike on the ground. Ensured the rear mech isn’t resting on any rocks and are having a nice break whilst talking to your fellow riders.

I am keen to have a look at you bike laid there on the ground. In my efforts to have a look at it I manage to step onto your nice rims and light weight spokes. As its a super dupa bike I expect them rims can withstand someones body weight standing on them. Its only a bike anyhow. Imagine if the guy realises he is stood on your rim/bike and thinks its funny and tries to balance on your rim whilst talking to his friends about it.

At what point do you stop laughing it off as no issue?

Its just another sign of peoples ignorance of other people having their own values.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I am keen to have a look at you bike laid there on the ground. In my efforts to have a look at it I manage to step onto your nice rims and light weight spokes. As its a super dupa bike I expect them rims can withstand someones body weight standing on them. Its only a bike anyhow. Imagine if the guy realises he is stood on your rim/bike and thinks its funny and tries to balance on your rim whilst talking to his friends about it.

And here we go to an extreme again. Why not just stick with the guy picking up your bike and having a sit on it? There’s no need to include imaginary scenarios and invented damage to support your claim, I imagine that those who accept someone sitting on their car can differentiate between a harmless act and wanton damage. I too would be less than pleased if your cycling example buddy decided to walk over the top of my car, but I wouldn’t be wetting myself if said example rested their butt on my car.
    This is providing me with much amusement.

I ask again – would YOU sit on a stranger’s car?

For me it’s not about whether I’d sit on someone else’s car, it’s, as the OP asked, whether I’d get my knickers in a twist about someone sitting on mine. I wouldn’t and haven’t been arsed. HTH.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

No, I wouldn’t personally do so, but I don’t see it as a problem.

Righto. So why not then?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

How is it extreme? The damage caused by someone sitting on my cars wing/bonnett is most definitely comparable with the damage that could be caused by me mistakenly stepping onto your bikes wheel whilst trying to have a good look at it.

So your last statement of

For me it’s not about whether I’d stand on someones wheel/bike, it’s, as the OP asked, whether I’d get my knickers in a twist about someone standing on mine. I wouldn’t and haven’t been arsed. HTH

That’s a lovely viewpoint. I hope you are happy with that. I bet if I went to glentress and tested your theory, the majority would be pretty peeved.

Cougar

If there were a real risk of damage I could see your point, but if someone’s just idly leaning on a vehicle or wall etc it would be a fuss about nothing.

Someone who lacks the manners not to lean on what might be someone’s pride and joy is almost certainly the sort of person who gives two hoots whether they damage it or not.

Because that’s what it’s about, really. It’s manners, it’s respecting other people’s stuff. It might be fine, of course; the owner may not care, you might not damage it. Or a stud on your jeans might gouge it, or the metal might not be as load-bearing as it looks. And whether it’s Ferarri you’ve parked your “it’s only a car” arse onto or a £300 Fiat, someone somewhere might love it dearly and be absolutely gutted when they find the damage. They might not have money for repairs, so it rusts and rots where you’ve taken the paint off. Sure, it’s “only” a car, but it’s not yours so buy a bloody walking stick or at least have the common decency to ask first.

Incidentally, why do we keep talking about walls like they’re the same thing? Anyone who believes they’re directly comparable, give me a yell; you can come and drag a key down my wall and I’ll drag a key down the side of your car. We could exchange kicks to them as well if you like, or play cricket against them. Seems fair, no?

Nico
    Free Member

You on the other hand, are C. Montgomery Burns; the rod up your ass has got a rod up its ass.

Seymour Skinner, actually.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That’s a lovely viewpoint. I hope you are happy with that. I bet if I went to glentress and tested your theory, the majority would be pretty peeved.

Apparently I am and I bet I wouldn’t (couldn’t give a toss about the majority). What would peeve me though is a mountain bike rim that would be damaged merely by someone standing on it. That would worry me a lot.

If I may go back to this post from yesterday.

Who the **** are you to decide how other people should prioritise what is important to them?

It would appear that now it is all the precious folk who think it correct to tell me how I should prioritise what is important to me. Funny old world. 😆

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

What about your lovely lightweight spokes taking a sideways load. I am a lot heavier than I used to be too. Please don’t hold that against me. No one has discussed the size of the person sitting on the car yet.

So I bend a few spokes with my ill mannered attempt to have a deek at your bike. Maybe I have spds on so I scratch your rims a bit too.

Your attitude is indeed refreshing.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

No one is telling you how to prioritise your what is important to you. By all means treat your own stuff like scrap. As I said earlier its refreshing.

But it takes a certain kind of knob to take their own low standards and expect them to be maintained by others.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What about your lovely lightweight spokes taking a sideways load.

That’s the extremism bit. Someone resting their arse against the wing of your car is in no way comparable to someone standing on lightweight spokes.

Maybe I have spds on so I scratch your rims a bit too.

You did say it was a mountain bike, didn’t you? 😆

But it takes a certain kind of knob to take their own low standards and expect them to be maintained by others.

Steady tiger.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

That’s the extremism bit. Someone resting their arse against the wing of your car is in no way comparable to someone standing on lightweight spokes

Been in the motor trade for over 20yrs. Rode mountain bikes for over a decade until I injured myself and had to quit. I am very qualified to be able to tell you both would cause comparable damage. You wouldn’t believe how many new vehicles end up getting ‘smart’ repairs carried out because some muppet has sat on a wing

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

natrix
    Free Member

What about those London cycle couriers who rest their sweaty hands on the top of your car roof whilst waiting in traffic?? Logically, I can’t see any reason against it, but illogically I still don’t like them doing it to my car. 🙁

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you want your car to remain undamaged, I’d probably not annoy them too much – ask nicely!

D-lock quick-draw.

aracer
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFSCFYF5aPM[/video]

toppers3933
    Free Member

Edit: just realised I’ve posted in and amongst the petty squabbling. 🙄

thebees
    Free Member

I spent yesterday morning on car park duty, for my sons football club tournament. We decided that bangers would be parked next to the pitches, whilst decent motors would be parked a bit further away. The point being, that there are lots of stray balls that get hit out during the matches.
    Nobody knew that we were doing this, but it just felt disrespectful to guide a brand new Audi into a spot next to an under 11 football match.
    Respecting other peoples property, is actually respecting the person.
    My car would have been firmly in the ‘banger’ row, in case you’re wondering.

rene59
    Free Member

Sounds like you have more respect for the wealthy.

IdleJon

rene59 – Member
    Sounds like you have more respect for the wealthy.

Most of those brand new Audis will be lease cars so I doubt that he’s even respecting the correct owner. And whether the driver is really more wealthy than someone driving an old crate? Well, at least I own my rusty crate, not rent it. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

just realised I’ve posted in and amongst the petty squabbling

It just makes me realise that the internet is full of “people” that don’t actually exist in real life.
    I could guarantee that a survey of real people (eg. in this building I’m in now) would result in 100% “It’s not ok”. And yet, on the internet….

Sui
    Free Member

i agree, it’s not up to individuals to decide that they can lean/sit/lie on someone elses vehicle. Clothing does scratch paint. I too have worked bloody hard and paid a lot of money for my car and i wont abide by individuals treating it like shit, it’s not their property it’s mine. I’ve already had a delivery driver scratch it, along with old people who don’t give a toss about opening doors on to it (who said the church was full of upstanding people…w@nkers). I agree some of the analogies here are a bit OTT, but the points people are trying to make are valid, do what you want to your stuff, but for other peoples unless invited, keep off!

jools182
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    If you want your car to remain undamaged, I’d probably not annoy them too much – ask nicely!

I’m probably over sensitive as since living in my house for less than a year someone has been deliberately scratching all along the shoulder line on the side parked next to the pavement. Then around 6 months ago someone decided it would be a good idea to walk over it, denting the boot and bonnet

aracer
    Free Member

He appears to be respecting the person it will cost if the car gets dented rather than the owner if that’s what you mean – but that’s the person he thinks he’s respecting…

nealglover
    Free Member

What about those London cycle couriers who rest their sweaty hands on the top of your car roof whilst waiting in traffic?? Logically, I can’t see any reason against it, but illogically I still don’t like them doing it to my car.

Have been asked many times to remove hand/finger marks etched into the clearcoat caused by suncream/moisturiser/oils etc on hands. Gets onto the bodywork and reacts with sunlight leaving milky etched prints all over the place.

Also repaired many scratches from people leaning on cars and marking with zips/buckles/keys/studs etc.

Both situations earned me good money regularly, so I’m kind of glad there are so many idiots around who think it’s ok

But all the people comparing sitting on a car with sitting on a wall haven’t got a bloody clue what they are talking about 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I presume you don’t detail walls then, neal?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

And that’s why I won’t buy a new car.

I’ve watched people scratch, flung doors, reverse into my car – all accidentally.

Don’t get attached to silly objects or you’ll be sad.

Don’t sit on other people’s cars unless ‘someone going to get a hurt real bad’.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Someone sitting on your car’ is closed to new replies.