Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Someone posted this on my facebook. AWESOME!
  • SaxonRider

Well, now I know what I will be doing with my kids over half term.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvDwlyGthtY&list=UU1zZE_kJ8rQHgLTVfobLi_g[/video]

digga
    Free Member

As a wiser man than me said.; s’all fun ‘n’ games ’till someone has an eye out.

SaxonRider

Good point, but all I can think about is the fun ‘n’ games.

big_scot_nanny

Project ahoy! Brilliant!

norbert-colon

I think I might make one of those 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Joins in we shall do the same .

I may add some sort of striker though so the matches are on fire as they are launched 😈

H & S be damned

Cheers OP good link

senorj

Awesome.
    When I was 11/12 we had phase of making Chinese arrows out of 12 inch lengths of dowel.
    Bloody lethal.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hmmmm… I’m pretty sure my OH would appreciate getting back from a 16 hour on call to find I’ve fortified the understairs cupboard and am using my crossbow to repel invaders.

SaxonRider

lemonysam – Member
    Hmmmm… I’m pretty sure my OH would appreciate getting back from a 16 hour on call to find I’ve fortified the understairs cupboard and am using my crossbow to repel invaders.

These are the kinds of things that keep marriages alive! 😀

CountZero

Awesome.
    When I was 11/12 we had phase of making Chinese arrows out of 12 inch lengths of dowel.
    Bloody lethal.

Heh, I used to do that, with any straight stick available, usually with nails stuck in the end…
    Used to go mud-twanging too, a mate lived near a sloping field which had a layer of thick blue clay at the top, and a line of trees with an old pig-sty hidden inside, bordering the main London-Bristol railway line.
    We’d find long, sturdy sticks, which were fairly bendy, put big lumps of nice thick clay on the end and hurl them at each other from hiding places. Not much fun if you got hit, but the loud bang from a kilo of clay hitting the tin roof of the sty was very satisfying. Ninja raids with smaller sticks and plum-sized lumps of clay were carried out, too; those bloody stung if you got one in the head!
    Trains pulling out towards Bristol were considered fair game for small blobs of clay, they made a satisfying splat on the windows if you were lucky… 😉

nbt

I’m just off to the co-op to buy a pack of lollies

CountZero

Just watched the video, I love the ‘explosive’ arrows, I can see those being a very effective anti-feline deterrent… 😈

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

In the style of that Churchill dog, orrrrr yesssss.

Just need a way of mounting to and firing from my quadcopter 😈

lemonysam
    Free Member

These are the kinds of things that keep marriages alive!

Are you suggesting some kind medieval of siege based role playing?

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that they are called Dutch Arrows.

mud-twanging

And I believe you’re talking about Shit Sticks..

gatsby
    Free Member

I used to be an archer and at club shoots, we’d decide our shooting order based on who could throw an arrow the furthest. I once hid a length of fishing line in my hand, looped round the nock of the arrow and cleared the100yd marker!

G

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh yes!

*searches internet for glue gun stockists*

JAG

Pfffft amateurs!

When I was 12 or 13 I built a full size crossbow from a Bow and Arrow set. I nailed the bow across a piece of flat wood, fitted it with a trigger and then stole a box of Steel Nibbed dipping pens from School to use as cross-bow bolts! 8)

It worked so well my Dad confiscated it after he found several pens stuck in our shed – where I couldn’t get them out after testing it 😯 8)

daveh
    Free Member

Just need a way of mounting to and firing from my quadcopter

That’s the kind of thinking that made this country Great!

senorj

think you’ll find that they are called Dutch Arrows.

Not in West Cumbria marra’! 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

The boy will love this one.

Stoner
    Free Member

Odd that your refer to yourself in the diminutive and third person, coyote. 😉

pictonroad

Off down the Range for bits, this is awesome.

bedmaker

That is indeed awesome!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Next weekends activities sorted.

ampthill

Posted on my Sons Facebook wall

don’t tell me I don’t take parenting seriously!

Cougar

We knew them as Scotch Arrows.

Ours were made from real arrows, with the pile (steel point) removed and a notch cut for the string. As weedy kids, we were clearing football pitches with them.

aracer
    Free Member

You’ll need a spare channel on your RC gear – a micro servo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11735__HobbyKing_Ultra_Micro_Servo_1_7g_for_3D_Flight_Right_.html should be good enough to trigger it, though clearly it’s single shot and you’ll also need to modify a bit to hold the “arrow” on better I reckon.

kayak23

Excellent 😀

Crell
    Free Member

Excellent. We used to use pins with a foam weight in pea shooters. Painful and surprisingly effective.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I might have nipped to wilko earlier and spent 15 quid on “making” equipment 😆
    I justified this by stating we needed a glue gun in the house!

deadslow

Suddenly a trip to maplin is on the cards for tomorrow!

cdoc
    Free Member

Am I the first one to be bored enough, then? 😀
    Made it with huge hairclips for a bit more oomph and added a trigger as it is a bit hard to releast the string with a finger!

Shame I don’t have any kids to justify wasting my time with stuff like this, though..

d45yth
    Free Member

Cdoc – that’s more like it! I can supply you with some leaf-springs from a truck, and some wire rope if you fancy building a trailer mounted version? 😆

cdoc
    Free Member

Really don’t tempt me! Always wanted to make a full size ballista 🙂
    I am planning on making a bigger version from laminated bamboo blinds next, I think. Or maybe a self loading Chinese crossbow type version..

wrightyson
    Free Member

MkI has been made here. I sent the old a dear a vid of a lit match being fired as she’s looking after the kids tonight, I presume she wasn’t impressed as I haven’t heard back. Can’t wait to get the kids back tomorrow and to start the arsenal!
    Glue gun btw? How did I ever function without one!

d45yth, that’s long been an unrealised plan of mine.
    Front spring off an 8 wheel tipper.
    Trailer handbrake ratchet & cable.
    Rebar quarrels
    I reckon they’d go further than I’d want to walk to pick them up again.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mini Crossbow Shooting Targets: http://youtu.be/dfOyE5b2jh4

Does anyone have any gold I can borrow?

SaxonRider

@joshvegas: That video 😯

SaxonRider

My kids have now built an arsenal. There are matches all over the house. I am thinking I need to buy a bag of those headless matches you can get at modelling shops, and think of alternative flight heads to put on them.

This could keep me busy for a while.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Someone posted this on my facebook. AWESOME!’ is closed to new replies.