Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Someone please put me off buying a Turner Flux.
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A 5 Spot can be built pretty light.

convert

I bought a 5 spot recently and love it. However, I think I should have bought a Flux instead but didn't because (stupid reason) my existing flow rims and pike fork were suited more to the 5spot. In reality both are great trail bikes, just the flux is a bit more xc and the 5 spot more am. As I've decided I want to do more enduro stuff the Flux would have been perfect and still plenty enough bike for the most extreme of my not very extreme type riding. 😡

nuke

Nail on head there Convert as I also happened to have some Fox 100-140 Talas and Flow rims that are currently destined for my PA hardtail although could equally be put on a 5-Spot. I've got the bits for a near perfect build for either Flux or 5-Spot but can't afford both so which to go for? Its a dilemma but admittedly not an awful dilemma 🙂

I've always been very much an XC rider and that's why the Flux appeals but since moving to Surrey Hills area I do find I'm seeking out more jumps, drops etc

lowey

Are the Surry Hills rocky ?

I have a 5 Spot and most of my riding is West Pennine Moors, Lakes etc and its perfect for me.

nuke

Are the Surry Hills rocky ?

Nope.

Can be a bit rooty 😀

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I've had a TNT Flux for four years and it's a good bike, build quality is superb and it has a lovely anodized finish which they no longer do sadly.

The frame including the shock is ludicrously light at 5.25lbs and the suspension works so well that it's too much bike for XC riding in the UK. It rides like it has a lot more travel and I have yet to find a fork that can fully match the stiffness and efficiency of the rear end.

I've spent two weeks in Whistler on this bike and it's survived everything my cack handed riding can throw at it. It's nimble, stable, stiff, light and well, just a very good bike.

In terms of weaknesses. I find Turner sizing isn't for me, their medium is too short in the reach and their large is too tall in terms of standover. So I opted for medium which makes climbing a chore at times, but makes for an infinately chuckable bike.

On my old TNT the chainstay yoke is a shelf that collects mud in a nice big pile until it starts to jam up the rear wheel.

Looking at the DW Link bikes when they held the recent demo day at Glyncorrwg, mud clearance looked rubbish. From a purely aesthetic point of view I think the DW bikes are ugly, but then so's my Orange Five:-)

handyman
    Free Member

had a xce for near six years, then sold it on, still working brilliantly then last year got a dw fliux, have done most of the trail centres in the uk plus some riding in spainish mountains, and over here in usa loads of races, trails etc, i can keep up with most bikes downhill and certainly uphill, my build is rockshox rev 130mm, xt, slx, thomson, hope not sure of weight but i prefer strength to lightweight, great bikes and when a squeak appeared a quick call to turner hq sorted it and a couple of new bolts sent out next day, will keep this for a few years then get another one

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've yet to see a light 5 Spot, but the Flux can be built to around 25lbs (possibly a little less?).

I see it as a 100mm travel bike both front & rear though as it's great on the climbs, so why sacrifice this with a 130mm or so front end?

It's not a weight-weenie bike / frame, it's too robust for that, but it's got just about every base covered & will give you years of service. The DW link is supposed to be the better of the sus' designs too.

Get on and buy one, you know you want to! 😉

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

I think Chain Reaction have had stock on 09s for a while at 1420, I paid 1500 for one from Sideways.

My turner and I have only looked at Abba Zabba, but it has done Windy Willows once the other Sunday with the muddy moles. It also did the red bull run at Coed y Brenin fine, and it will be on the hills again on saturday so if you see a red 09 flux it is probably me, almost definitely if you notice it has BB7 brakes.

The turner forum on mtbr seems to have more and more people using 120mm forks but I would think the climbing would suffer without a u-turn. I have a 0 degree rise stem as I found the 5 degree was too much.

The back end seems plenty capable so I would think a good fork would see you through the rough stuff without having to go to a 5-spot.

nuke

Get on and buy one, you know you want to!

Oh OK then :mrgreen:

…it's ordered! Most I have ever spent on a frame 😯

I've spent two weeks in Whistler on this bike and it's survived everything my cack handed riding can throw at it. It's nimble, stable, stiff, light and well, just a very good bike.

That's re-assuring as I am also a pro cack handed rider 😉

I see it as a 100mm travel bike both front & rear though as it's great on the climbs, so why sacrifice this with a 130mm or so front end?

Agreed but I have Reba U-turns so best of both worlds IMO. Some people dislike travel adjust forks but I'm a big fan and wouldn't buy forks without now.

my build is rockshox rev 130mm,

Interested in this as I happen to have a nice set of 2008 Rev U-Turns. Only thing is that isn't the Flux only warrantied up to 120mm?

so if you see a red 09 flux it is probably me, almost definitely if you notice it has BB7 brakes.

I'll keep an eye out although I doubt mine will arrive before Saturday 🙁

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Great frames. Backed by probably the best CS in the business. Enjoy.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I think they're ugly.

sorry.

Ti29er
    Free Member

What colour did you buy?

nodrog2
    Free Member

I run mine with coil u turn pikes, don't really care if it's considered wrong as the bike is so much fun. Seems to handle best at 120mm but sometimes wind them right out for steep stuff. Agreed that it climbs best at 95/100mm but 120mm seems to be a good compromise.

Great bikes. My Nomad never gets a look in the flux is so good for most UK riding.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Blinding fast and fantastic through more technical sections! Only negative on the DW link is a rather low bottom bracket when running 100mm forks.Seems a great excuse to buy some 120mm Sids though!
    Thanx Max

nuke

This thread has me intrigued particularly after nodrog's comment on putting Pikes on his…

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=584065&highlight=all+mountain+flux

Certainly now considering putting 100-130mm U-Turn Revs on but still haven't found warranty info with regard to this. If it breaks warranty I'll just stick the 90-120mm U-Turn Rebas on.

What colour did you buy?

Silver

dickie
    Free Member

Nuke – Classifieds – Silver FOX F120's QR15 – he's been trying to shift them for ages so he might come down.

Run F120's on mine, there perfect

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Someone please put me off buying a Turner Flux.’ is closed to new replies.