Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Someone please put me off buying a Turner Flux.
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

I don't ride often enough to justify it but….

fontmoss
    Free Member

isn't the blurb about it (from turner) something like if you don't know what training zones 4 and 5 are you shouldn't get one?

nuke

So you saw that Merlin have reduced them for this week to £1395?

Must admit I'm tempted

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I had one of the older TNT models.Great xc bike.Climbs well descends well and eats the miles.

Frankers
    Free Member

Overpriced American crap don't waste your money, why not get a Boardman fs bike, which Dave Turner clearly copied for his previous suspension design

mt
    Free Member

High quality frame, brilliant DW link, superb handling up hill and down, well priced, great after sales back no matter when bought. Pivot bushes with grease nipples.

Hope that helps

takisawa2

Whenever I hear the name I think of this bloke… 🙂

Get a Ventana instead.

Frankers
    Free Member

Who is that bloke above?

benji_allen
    Free Member

Someone please put me off buying a Turner Flux

They must be good going by the comments on here, but I mean….look at it. Worse than a slapped fanny. And that's what matters with bikes ennit?

Frankers
    Free Member

Aren't Ventana's just for old geezers?

mudmonster
    Free Member

Saw the Merlin offer. Only black with "raw" swing arm. Kind of like red front end 🙂 Still tempted mind. Don't know what training zones 4 and 5 are so maybe I shouldn't then. Was that not for the Nitrous? Only thing bad when I read about it is the price.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Who is that bloke above?

Getty Images! FFS 🙄

takisawa2

That bloke is Graham Turner no less. Distinguished footie manager from the 80's. 🙂

And yes, Ventana's are for old geezers, like me! 😀
    Actually, I think the chaps who run Turner & Ventana used to work together or something way back. Chap we rode with in Wales has a Flux (I think) & reckons its excellent.

julianwilson
    Free Member

have you read the review of the new flux in the last-but-one shred magazine? It says it's great. And yes, it probably really really is!

But if you work out who wrote that particular review (and what his other job is) that might put you off. 🙁

*waves*

mudmonster
    Free Member

Not read it Julian. Who wrote it? What's his other job?

dickie
    Free Member

Narr, don't get one! I've just been out on a 14 mile loop on my DW Flux & I'm just not satisfied. I want to go round again, & again tomorrow, & further at the weekend.
    Actually I just want to ride it all the time. So best not get one if you can't ride everyday.

hh45
    Free Member

after 4 years mine needs a new bushing in the main pivot and the name has worn off the down tube so def don't buy one. also the bottle cage bolt was shonky and wouldn't unscrew so can't use a bottle that is irritating.

But apart from that its the nuts and strangers are always really polite about it and admire it even though its normally covered in mud.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Who wrote it? What's his other job?

There used to be a sort of 'reader's/mates rides' section in Shred which had various semi-local-to-our-neck-of-the-woods folk showing off their pride and joy. One issue this featured someone who works for Silverfish, his lovely bike and also mentioned his comedy nickname in the piece. Then (somewhat foolishly IMO!) a few issues later they used the same nickname as the 'pen name' for the writer of the flux's glowing review. Did i mention that silverfish took on the distribution for Turner just a wee while before that? Good job it really is a great frame eh?

(oh and couple of mates know him)

Its a small world down here in pastyland. 😆

cakefest
    Free Member

Have been running a Horst link Flux since 2005, and it's bonkersly good. Very very happy. In fact, just been out tonight and will go out tomorrow and day after. More more more.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It's a shame Silverfish took over distribution. I know a couple of people who gave up trying to buy one because of them. I tried to go through them initially then gave up and went direct. Useless twunts (IMO and IME of course)

mudmonster
    Free Member

Aha, yes not very impartial.

Frankers
    Free Member

Used to have a Horst 5 Spot then bought a TNT Flux in 2006, sold the Spot and still loving the Flux. Might get a newer version one day but unsure as still love riding the one I have.

Frankers
    Free Member

Not sure what the problem is with Silverfish but it seems Turners are more readily available now (from CRC, Merlin) than they have ever been with previous distributers

nuke

Is this silver or raw…..

Bigger pic here…
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/010/010bikes/img/010flux_trail_kit_bg.jpg

😕

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Nuke- Thats silver

nuke

Thanks Sam

nicolaisam
    Free Member
    nodrog2
    Free Member

Got the 4 bar version, fantastic bike, just so much fun, get one!

bullheart
    Free Member

I've heard that, every time one is sold, ten baby seals are beaten to death…

I won't be a part of this madness. Neither should you.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Every time I go back to mine (05?) from the Ti29er, I remember why it's the weapon of choice at many of the trail centres and my longer distance adventures.

I was out on it last night and it makes my clumbsy riding look 1/2way competent. It never really feels quick (29ers always feel quick somehow), but timed sections tell otherwise, so did my ride mates last night once I'd waited for them !

It's an effortless ride and that's what makes it such a joy to be on – you'll start adding 1 or 2hrs to your routes once you have one & not be fatigued, I'm not sure how it does that TBH!

I've never read a bad word about them & they've got to one of the better looking bikes out there – I like the silver ones as above, in particular.

gothandy

Is there any where that let's you demo them? Buying direct from CRC or Merlin without throwing a leg over could be foolish.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Don't know where I can demo one. Nowhere near me though. Would be a good idea before laying down £1420.

rone

I've had two fluxs now.

Both were early models (early HL and early DW), both had cracks … after 5000 miles of riding. Both were replaced under warranty. No other issues with bushings.

As for the comment about over-priced American .. above, twaddle. The price is in keeping with any high-end but 'asian-manufactured-should-be-cheaper-n-back-up' brand out there. But the product is actually done properly. I mention the cracks just for balance and the fact that it doesn't stop me from purchasing.

They are the almost perfect bike for me, I wouldn't buy anything else at the moment as the back-up is terrific and I would say being an early adopter can be problematic, but in both cases everything was sorted well.

Fast and comfortable, superb climbers.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ive got a TNT version and LOVE it. Built up an insanely quick 29er but the Turner will always be in my stable. I think the newer ones have lost their looks but by all accounts the suspension is even better.

gothandy

Buzzard what about combining the 29er and getting a Sultan rather than a Flux?

Anybody else with experience of a Sultan? On the surface at least it looks all the things that make the Flux good are available on the Sultan.

Buzzard
    Free Member

gothandy

Have considered the Sultan and everything I read says its excellent but that new linkage is just plain fugly (IMHO). Think I'm going to hold on for the new Anthem x 29er that debuted at seaotter this year. imagine it will be signficantly cheaper than turner and looks the bomb. Will keep the Turner as the TNT is just that good IMO

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'm miles off replacing my 05 HL 5spot, but talking hypothetically, I was thinking that I might replace it with a flux.

Spending time on the mtbr Turner forum a while ago, I found a thread where DT explained to a rider of about my weight (200lbs) that he worked really hard to get the weight of the DW flux down, and the if you lazy-boyed all the big G-outs instead of attcked through them, you might find the TT and ST separating.

This is of course, not a flaw, since it relates to appropriate use, but its something to consider is you're a heavier gentleman.

nuke

Any opinions on how much the Flux can 'take', as it where? Are owners doing drops/jumps on their bikes?

Not taking anything massive but do come across the odd jump etc on the Surrey Hills where I would predominately want to use it…maybe also the odd trail centre.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

I don't jump but often ride mine round the surrey hills or swinley if you want to met up and have a try. It is a medium dwlink flux with 100mm sid teams and is about 26lbs with Panaracer Fire XC USTs or 25 with normal Conti Mtn Kings.

There is a weight limit on my wheels apparently (just Hope Hoops – XC6 on Stans 355) so no clydesdales please!

I think the 2010 version has some extra welding around the BB area as there were cracks seen in the 08/09 versions – mine is an 09 🙁 but it hasn't cracked yet. Turner warranties are good though.

nuke

Cheers Andrew…I'd take you up on that but I've got to decide in the next couple of days or reckon I'll lose the price offered.

I do have 355 Hope Hoops so was thinking to put those on combined with some U-Turn Rebas I just got. Nice wide bars and a mid length stem. All very tempting but still want it to be in the right number of pieces at the end of Abba Zabba/Windy Willows/etc 😉

Maybe I should be looking at the 5-Spot 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Someone please put me off buying a Turner Flux.’ is closed to new replies.