Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Someone Please HELP! AV Amp content
  • cb

I have a Sony smart TV connected to a new Pioneer AV amp – bought today.

I have connected the HDMI out on the amp to the HDMI (ARC) on the TV. There is a Jamo 5.1 speaker package wired into the amp.

There is a Sky box – HDMI from the box to the TV
    There is a Sony BR player linked with HDMI from the player to the TV.

I can get picture but the sound has disappeared. It worked earlier when I set it up in front of the tv but when I re-wired it all neatly I’ve ballsed something up.

Should the Sky box and the BR player be wired directly into the amp? What am I doing wrong???

I was hoping that I could have the TV sound playing through the 5.1 speakers, and the BR player and then my PS3.

AlexSimon

Sky box and Blu-ray player should go into amp.
    Let the amp send the picture to the TV.

(PS3 into the amp too).

Leave the TV on the input from the amp and do all your source-switching with the amp.

richmtb

Sky box and Blu-ray player should go into amp.
    Let the amp send the picture to the TV.

Correct

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robob
    Free Member

if that doesn’t help plug the lead from the av reciever into the tv into to the other hdmi sockets on the tv. only one of my sockets on the tv has audio return.

cb

Uhmm, still getting no sound. There is something very stupid that I have done. I am using the ARC HDMI. Only getting TV sound which suggest perhaps that the connection between TV and amp isn’t secure

theflatboy
    Free Member

Once the HDMI inputs to the amp are connected, you may have to configure each source so that the audio input is set to also be through the HDMI cable. It may not be by default, if there are digital audio inputs for the same sources.

That sounds more complicated than it is, by the way.

AlexSimon

Just to check through.
    1) Set the TV to the input that you’ve plugged the AV Amp into (AV1 or similar)?
    2) Switch on a source (SKY box for example)
    3) Switch the amp to the input matching the sky box.

Cougar

There is something very stupid that I have done. I am using the ARC HDMI.

Statement and answer. Plug everything into the amp, not the TV, and disable ARC.

One thing to be aware of which will say you days of pain; the Sky box does NOT send 5.1 surround through the HDMI connection, just stereo(*). You’ll need to run an additional coax / optical digital audio connection for that to work.

(* – pedantically, I think it’s actually Pro Logic encoded)

anjs
    Free Member

depending on how old your sky box is you may also need a optical cable between the sky box and amp

CountZero

My Sony says on screen that audio is handled by my A/V amp. I set it up ages ago, but IIRC it’s a menu setting on the Telly’s own menu. I have a vague recollection that I had a similar issue when I first set it up. The rat’s nest of wires coming out terrifies me every time I look at it, in case something happens and I’ve got to pull it apart.
    Oh, and my Sky+ HD box has an optical cable to my Yamaha amp.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Make sure the HDMI leads are pushed well into the sockets, some need a good hard push.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s much neater to have everything going through your amp. Simplifies the process of switching between sources too. My Onkyo remote is fully programmable and I can control all the source devices from one remote. I like to simplify the connections and having a BR player going through a telly instead of direct into an amp seems a bit daft to me. There is no benefit to be had. I wish you could buy a tv that was just the screen – no inputs, no audio gubbins, just a screen you connect to your amp.

Cougar

My Onkyo remote is fully programmable and I can control all the source devices from one remote.

I can fully control anything from any remote, no programming necessary. That’s HDMI CEC for you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Even more reason to connect everything to the amp.

cb

Thanks all.

Everything into the amp now but sounds seems OK with the ARC HDMI. Cougar – you said disable ARC – why would that be please? And would you use an optical connect in preference?

My remote (new one for the amp) is awful. Loads of tiny buttons and very hard to read what does what. Such a ball ache for something that I thought would be straightforward. Still unsure why it wasn’t working before.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The optical connection forces the DAC to be done in the amp. Generally your amp will have much better DACs than your BR player. Also for earlier sky boxes you can’t get discreet 5.1 sound via the HDMI. Also means you can get a cheap BR player with no loss of sound quality.

grilla
    Free Member

One thing to be aware of which will say you days of pain; the Sky box does NOT send 5.1 surround through the HDMI connection, just stereo(*). You’ll need to run an additional coax / optical digital audio connection for that to work.

No longer true, there was a software update last year such that 5.1 now works over HDMI ..

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-enables-dolby-digital-51-over-hdmi-on-sky-hd-boxes

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Someone Please HELP! AV Amp content’ is closed to new replies.