Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Someone on here using pics of my bike to sell theirs !!
  • renton
    Free Member

There is a chap on here trying to sell a Specialized pitch and in his latest ad he has some how managed to use a picture of my old bike??

Is that fair game or should i be a bit pissed??

He is trying to pass off his bike as being only ridden for 20 miles which is clearly hasnt and my picture shows my bike when it was new so he is trying to mislead people.

What do you think?

lowey

Report it to the mods. Bang out of order and misleading / misrepresentation.

honourablegeorge

Sounds like he’s scamming.

A reply on his For Sale thread is in order.

renton
    Free Member

He is also passing it off as a medium when it was in fact a large

Yak

and then some

Its wrong/scam. Report it to the mods asap

dougieb
    Free Member

Definitely not fair game. He’s misleading a potential buyer by posting pictures of different bike to the one he is selling.

renton
    Free Member

He has also used his own pics though to.

Just found his ad on ebay to and he has used the same picture.

The thread in question………

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-pitcch-pro-rrp1900

my picture is the one at the top……

dashed
    Free Member
    Yak

Clearly they are different sizes too! His ebay ad has full pics of the other bike.

taxi25
    Free Member

The top picture is different from the detail photo’s. They clearly show its a medium. He probably forgot to take a full bike picture and just did a search for one of the same bike. It just happened to be Renton’s.
    No different to using a stock photo really, but I can se how it raises an alarm.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

he has some how managed to use a picture of my old bike??

He’s not the current owner, is he?

renton
    Free Member

Nope rusty mine was a large and he is selling a medium !!

Ah rusty I see you have edited your post !!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Renton, I’ve posted a link to this thread on his FS post, so potential buyers are aware, and have also reported it to the mods.

Good luck mate, I’m sure The Mods will sort it out.

chambord
    Free Member

The photo he’s taken of his bike is pretty crap with bad lighting and a shadow over it. He probably got back to the computer and thought sod it I’ll just find another picture.

Pretty lazy and not very honest but the close up shots give better detail of the bikes condition anyway so I don’t think it’s that misleading.

crankboy
    Free Member

two weeks ago he posted a picture of a bike , he was challenged that the forks and cranks looked more worn than the description would suggest he responded that the pic was a stock picture and he would post some actual images of the bike latter . He then put up links to images of your bike suggesting it was the actual bike for sale. Personally I would not touch with a barge pole.

wwaswas

he used a ‘stock image’ last time he advertised it (but did mention it).

anderson365
    Free Member

I am afraid that the offending add is mine.

The detailed pictures are of my bike however as taxi25 states I used a stock image of google as I forgot to take a full size image from a distance. I picked a poor day with bad sun for my outdoor images.

No offence was intended and there is no case of misrepresentation it just seemed easier than waiting for another well lit day to re photograph.

dashed
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    he used a ‘stock image’ last time he advertised it (but did mention it).

And then further down the thread linked to some other photos he claimed were the actual bike, but are in fact Renton’s!!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Ah rusty I see you have edited your post !!

Yeah, I deleted it when I realised that the STW sleuths had already answered the question…then put it back when I noticed that you’d replied 🙂

wwaswas

ah, I didn’t follow the links assumed they were the same ones he used later of his own bike.

Renton – just delete/move the images you have – they’ll stop appearing in his ad as he’s direct linked to them.

martinhutch

Edit: Just seen his reply. All becomes clear.

renton
    Free Member

Looks pretty misleading to me mate, apart from the tyres on my bike which were swapped over from my previous bike it was pretty much mint.

No disrespect but I think your bike has done more than 20 miles.

taxi25
    Free Member

He then put up links to images of your bike suggesting it was the actual bike for sale. Personally I would not touch with a barge pole.

he didn’t though the links are to pictures of the medium bike ( presumably his ) not Renton’s.
    Golden rule though only post pictures of what your actually selling.

franksinatra

If it is all legit and bike is as described then that would be a bargain, I’m almost tempted myself.

But, newish, classified only member, inconsistencies and question marks…

renton
    Free Member

does smack of a lazy seller!

His bike even has a flat tyre!

Tracey

I think he is just using his initiative.

A few years ago I advertised an Enduro frame on here with photos. Agreed a price with a guy who insisted he pick it up and would only pay cash on collection. Every time we agreed to meet he had an excuse as to why he couldn’t make it. Whilst browsing ebay to see what other frames were fetching I saw a frame for sale for a lot more than I was asking for, the photos were identical in every way to mine including the stuff on the garage walls, and advertised in the same location that he lived in. Contacted him and told him that due to him dragging his feet it was no longer for sale to him.

Sold some new Oakley shorts last year on here. Guy got a real bargain. They were back up in the classifieds the day after they were delivered using the same photo I had taken

I think this is happening a lot more but its hard to track everything.

Im not bothered if someone buys something of me and sells it on at a profit but using my photos to do it is taking the ****

Drac

Can you reply to the moderator email we sent you please anderson365?

Cheers

IA

Also, using someone else’s photos without license is copyright theft…

Yak

Golden rule though only post pictures of what your actually selling.

This. Without Renton spotting this, no-one may have known, especially if they didn’t see the ebay ad that shows both full bike pics.

Really good ads list all the bad points and show pics of these areas, so along with the profile/history you know its legit. But maybe an an identifier added to the pic would help? Fruit of the week? This weeks ad’s need a banana in the pics? Next week – pomegranate etc…

hmmm, dunno – just a thought and theres probably a better way of doing it, but it would eliminate nabbing photos from elsewhere.

Drac

Tracey that is against the forum rules on here so if you see it then please report it. Cheers.

sandwicheater

I’m with Yak, Banana in your FS posts please. Next week, kumquat.

anderson365
    Free Member

The bike has a flat tyer because it has not been used for just over a year.

It was ridden once from Yarm to the the Dog & Gun in Potto; an 18 mile round trip.

Yes the posting was lazy but I dont have time to ride it and struggled to get enough time to list it as you see. Still not adjusted to time management as a parent.

If its causing so much trouble can I remove/close the post?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

On a computer forum I use, if you’re selling then most people have a piece of paper with their username and the date on it.

I guess PC components have fewer identifying features than a ‘custom’ bike so it’s more necessary. Still a good idea, I think.

sandwicheater

if you’re selling then most people have a piece of paper with their username and the date on it.

Seems silly when the ‘Yak fruit system’ is better in every way.

franksinatra

On a computer forum I use, if you’re selling then most people have a piece of paper with their username and the date on it.

You could go for a more subtle way of identifying yourself, as seen on this photo used on eBay for the sale of a dining table

sandwicheater

Ahh, the man banana. He get’s it.

mudmuncher

Same inconsistencies in the pics of the Kona he is selling – some have water bottle cage some don’t.

wwaswas

franksinatra – I’d be expecting the ban hammer (based on recent experience)…

franksinatra

franksinatra – I’d be expecting the ban hammer (based on recent experience)…

Really? Oh well. It has been a long time since I was last told off on here so maybe I am due a reminder.

So long, goodbye……….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Someone on here using pics of my bike to sell theirs !!’ is closed to new replies.