Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • Someone on here had a Focus ST estate…
  • Kryton57

Grey I think, maybe the diesel… how are you getting on with it long term?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Tempted by interest free pcp then? 🙂

I started a thread
    about the estate last week, someone with an st said they are very happy with it.

Bit too lary for me so I’m going for the 1.5 182ps petrol titanium x. It’s got more toys than the st.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I’ve had mine almost 4 years so the same guts as the current one but not the facelift. ST3, petrol though not diesel. It’s great, only issues in that time are front brakes needing replaced, 2x sets of front tyres (lots of fwd torque) and the front springs replaced too, but I blame the potholes for that. It is thirsty though, real world driving is 30mpg on average at best, if you are careful it will nudge 35 or a bit over on long motorway journeys. I guess the diesel is better but probably not as fun to drive. The boot is massive and very functional.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m likely going for a petrol ST estate or a Golf R estate for the next car. Test drove the ST which was awesome. Just ne d to convince the Mrs to let me sell the current motor!

legend
    Free Member

Thought you were definitely going as cheap as possible?

Kryton57 – Member

Cant see beyond getting an economically viable motorway cruiser/bike carrier Octavia a-like as cheap as possible with my car allowance for 24 months.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Good discounts on ford at the moment though and 0% pcp, I’m getting the focus estate for just over £18k, depending on paint colour. That’s with £1500 scrappage allowance though.

The ST is about £6k more though and the golf r about £12k more.

Kryton57

And so it was coincidental that I rocked up to marshal an event yesterday and there was current model year ST diesel and Octavia VRS parked side by side. In conversation with the owner, the Ford owner was a bit “meh”, claiming that hes recieving less MPG than advertised unless trying really hard, a cluttered dash layout, fiddly Sat Nav and not as much space in the boot as you might think.

The Octavia owner was very happy with his puchase, and pointed out that it cost less that then ST, was bigger and was underpinned with german levels of quality. The ST owner actually said “I considered the Octavia and do you know what, I wish I’d gone with it”.

Interesting!

wors

Does anyone have the 1.0 ecoboost?

On paper it looks like its enough power, but does it?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

My mate returned his 1.0 ecoboost as he said he felt like he had to pin it everywhere to get to normal speeds, ergo the mpg was atrocious

He now has a 1.6

Gary_M
    Free Member

claiming that hes recieving less MPG than advertised

That’s the same with every car surely?

We went to buy one yesterday, ford dealer couldn’t sell us one ‘soonest we can get it is February’, then he tried to sell us an ST3 or an ST line, or the car he was using and had done 24k in.

We need it before the end of the year so trying other sources.

I’m not that keen on the looks of the VRS really and the standard octavia estate is super dull.

Jamie
    Free Member

Does anyone have the 1.0 ecoboost?

I have a Fiesta (125ps), and it’s ideal.

Not sure I would want it in anything bigger.

Northwind

The current Focus’s boot isn’t as epic as the mk1 but it’s still way better than an octavia estate’s, if you want it as a bike hauler.

submarined
    Free Member

How old was the sat nav on the one you spoke to the guy about? Not sure when it changed, but if it’s sync 2 then yes, it’s appalling. Sync 3, however, is a quantum leap better.

Of course you won’t get the advertised mpg, you don’t in any car. It’s the results of a lab test in controlled conditions that manufacturers have to display. It’s not real world.

The ST is a great car, but the diesel seems kind of pointless. Very little character compared to the Petrol, and doesn’t feel that quick.
    And yes, before you ask, I have. But not the estates. And the petrol was much better. The diesel was just like a diesel with harsh suspension, the Petrol feels like a very capable hot hatch.

Kryton57

Of course you won’t get the advertised mpg

He was talking about an advertised 60mpg going down to early 40’s – thats significant.

The current Focus’s boot isn’t as epic as the mk1 but it’s still way better than an octavia estate’s, if you want it as a bike hauler.

Really? I was standing next to both and the Octavia was visually a bigger car.

If I continue looking at the focus I am tempted to go for the petrol for shits & giggles, the other seems pointless. Any views on the petrol as Powershift rather than manual?

servo
    Free Member

Really? I was standing next to both and the Octavia was visually a bigger car.

Boot in Focus is wide and flat with no wheel intrusion at all.

I have an 2017 Petrol ST3 estate and it is a big improvement over the pre 2015 ones.
    SYNC 3 is very good.

Done 4000 miles and now averaging 35 mpg.

Great car and they hold their value really well.

Guy at work bought a 2012 model for £15K last year to replace his mk 2 octavia VRS.

Northwind

servo – Member

Boot in Focus is wide and flat with no wheel intrusion at all.

Aye, I don’t know what the actual capacities are but the usability in the focus is superb.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m likely going for a petrol ST estate or a Golf R estate for the next car.

I like Golfs, I like the GTi, but think the ‘R’ has nothing about it..looks wise. Move onto the estate version though and its a whole new ‘nothing’. Visually one of the most bland, boring looking cars I’ve ever seen.(Based on its performance obvs)

So, ST for me, if I was choosing!

(I do have excellent taste btw…in case you were about to disagree with any of the above)

Rockape63
    Free Member

oops, double post!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d agree, had a look yesterday and the boot does look pretty decent.

submarined
    Free Member

Don’t even consider a Golf R unless you want a very high risk of being introduced to some new people in your hallway in the middle of the night.

Gary_M
    Free Member

and drive the deal have now come back to say february delivery. Bollocks.

benp1

I like the Golf R, I think they look good!

GTI and ST are comparable

R and RS are comparable too. Don’t think you can get a Focus RS estate?

twonks

I have a 2016 ST estate perfume burner in grey 🙂

Have also had an Octavia vRS petrol, but it was a 2007 version.

In a nutshell, the Octavia (especially new one, as we have a few at work) is a much nicer place to be, but as a drivers car the ST leaves it behind.

The not so nutshell is that the ST drives like a go kart. It is very point and squirt with very direct steering and little (no) body roll. Good feedback through the steering and excellent seats (ST3 version).

The Skoda is just as fast but doesn’t quite have the road manners or feedback of the ST. The Skoda interior is quite a bit plusher, less plastic and all together more grown up.

Bike wise, they both fit any bike in with the front wheel removed and the back seats down. Octavia is a fair bit larger in the rear but I have no problems with my ST.

Economy wise, I’ve done 23k since new and it is averaging 47 mpg. This is mixture of country lanes and motorway driving. Economy really does suffer if you like to give it a bit of welly (to be expected). On a run at 50 to 80 mph with no rapid bursts I can comfortably get 55mpg, 65 if steady at 65-70 mph, but that never happens so it’s a largely irrelevant figure.

Given the choice again, if it has to be a diesel I’d still choose an ST, as I love it as a drivers car, but I wouldn’t be unhappy with the vRS.

Without the limitation of diesel, the vRS 245Hp petrol version would be my ideal but I’d have to change the suspension to get it firmer and more direct.

Any questions, please feel free to ask 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

So it seems to be impossible to get the car I want before February. The issue appears to be my engine choice – the 1.5l 182. I’m now thinking of going for the 2l diesel instead, would I be crazy buying a diesel though?

Kryton57

The Skoda is just as fast but doesn’t quite have the road manners or feedback of the ST. The Skoda interior is quite a bit plusher, less plastic and all together more grown up.

Thanks Twonks – thats what I want for those tired return journeys a long way down the motorway network. Mind made up.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

If you are looking at the VRS diesel, I have the Golf GTD hatch with essentially the same engine. Real world mpg over the 22k miles and 9 months I’ve had it is circa 46mpg so similar , to the Focus ST(D.) I don’t drive particularly sedately.
    Great car but mpg nowhere near what I got from my 320d which averaged mid fifties.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I have a 2.0l Focus diesel estate. Surprised me with its performance especially from about 40mph.

Boot is excellent; can easily get 3 bikes in (front wheels off) with the rear seat split so can still carry 2 passengers

Gary_M
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can’t get the oil burner either until next year. FFS how can it take 5 months to get a new ford?

servo
    Free Member

The leather Recaro seats in my ST3 are excellent but maybe because I am a racing snake 😀

A friend of mine is a freelance bike mechanic and after 3 trips in mine has just ordered an ST3 estate in Tangerine Scream 😯

Unfortunately I can’t get the oil burner either until next year. FFS how can it take 5 months to get a new ford?

Sorry Gary, I waited from August last year until end of February to get mine 😀

Tallpaul
    Free Member

If you do some ringing around, you might be able to find a dealer who already has an allocation who build in your spec to achieve an earlier delivery.

Standard lead times on the ST are pretty long though and always have been.

flange
    Free Member

I may have said this before, but look at the 140i….

Last night on a run I achieved 43.8mpg over 94 miles. With a bike on the roof. I have a picture as proof…

I’ll be honest, it’s possibly the most boring 94 miles I’ve ever done but you know….economy and all that..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Last night on a run I achieved 43.8mpg over 94 miles

Is that good?

flange
    Free Member

Well, it’s better than the normal 21 mpg that I get. But you’re right, in the scheme of things, not brilliant. Thanks Gary, THANKS A BUNCH…

Kryton57

I may have said this before, but look at the 140i….

If so I’d be tempted to keep my 120D at £9k for a car with 40000 miles on it, super condition and I know it works for me…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll pop into this..

I’d ignore the manufacturers MPG expectation, or rather use them as a very loose guide. Everyone knows real world usage is key, plenty of information around that outline real world MPG figures.

I know nothing about Fords or Skodas but there are plenty of folk that drive them, must be a forum or two for both marques to enable more informed choice.

Pistonheads for example?

Just sayin.

flange
    Free Member

Yes, but it’s not a 140i is it Kryton. Mines nearly 400bhp now, does 40+ mpg on a run and…well, its a bit uncomfortable, I have to carry bikes on the roof and it eats rear tyres. But that aside…400bhp. I had my RS4 dyno’d and it only just made a bit more than that. That was also expensive to run and impractical most of the time. So basically you’re buying a rear drive RS4 with a BMW badge.

Do it, do it, do it, do it..

Kryton57

So basically you’re buying a rear drive RS4 with a BMW badge

Sorry, I’m not interested in the “look at me”, and I’m getting too old to be rattled around England as I travel. What I want is a bike lugger with a bit of “making progress” about it, but the ability to cruise in comfort when needed.

flange
    Free Member
    Kryton57

I’ve calmed down…

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Flange,

can you fit a removable tower to the 140i? I need one for bikes and occasional ute trailer….

If not It’ll have to be the 340i.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Someone on here had a Focus ST estate…’ is closed to new replies.